Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January 2011 Bandsters !!!

Hi, I hope I'm posting this right! I'm a January Bandster too! My band date is 1/10/11. The first day of the rest of my life! :-)

I'm also a self-pay, so I am also thankful to not have to jump through all the hoops - it really sounds like you guys have to go through so much. For a good cause, of course, but you must be thinking, "Let's get this going already!"

I have about 80 lbs to lose. My Dr. says I could stand to lose 90 but I really AM pretty muscular so we'll see. To be honest, I would be ecstatic with 60-65.

I also pretty much only have thin, fit friends and family members and those friends I have told so far are kind of shocked and disapproving. Supportive, but they just don't understand. My family has been awesome, but I haven't told my mom yet. We'll see how that goes tomorrow! I'm very interested to read how the people you have told have reacted....

Glad to be on the journey with other people!

Hi, I hope I'm posting this right! I'm a January Bandster too! My band date is 1/10/11. The first day of the rest of my life! :-)

I'm also a self-pay, so I am also thankful to not have to jump through all the hoops - it really sounds like you guys have to go through so much. For a good cause, of course, but you must be thinking, "Let's get this going already!"

I have about 80 lbs to lose. My Dr. says I could stand to lose 90 but I really AM pretty muscular so we'll see. To be honest, I would be ecstatic with 60-65.

I also pretty much only have thin, fit friends and family members and those friends I have told so far are kind of shocked and disapproving. Supportive, but they just don't understand. My family has been awesome, but I haven't told my mom yet. We'll see how that goes tomorrow! I'm very interested to read how the people you have told have reacted....

Glad to be on the journey with other people!

Looks like we're scheduled for surgery the same day! Lots of good thoughts for all of us! :D

hey CTMom and welcome!! :)You're the first January bandster I've met thus far that's self-pay like me. Who is your surgeon?

My surgery is now pending approval with the insurance company; not nearly as nervous as I thought I would be. Just glad the doctor's office submitted everything so quickly. Let the waiting game begin...

how great melzie - i've got my fingers and toes crossed for you!! Keep us all updated!! :bananalama: (i SO had to post that smiley because it was so incredibly strange and creepy!! lol)

how great melzie - i've got my fingers and toes crossed for you!! Keep us all updated!! :bananalama: (i SO had to post that smiley because it was so incredibly strange and creepy!! lol)

I guess all that finger and toe crossing worked because I just got off the phone with my insurance company and I was approved!!! I'm in shock; it took less than 48 hours!! Yay!!!!

Well you guys can add me to the list, I'm approved and am scheduled for 1/18/11. I started the process in June, but my IPA is very conservative, so I had to go through 3 months of nutrician classes, ekg, lung function test, physical, psych eval, sleep study and floroscopy.

The strange thing is that I haven't been given any dietary advice, just come to the pre-op a week before surgery. I'm a research-driven person (Been thinking about doing this for 10 years) so I know it is best to loose the weight to shrink the liver. What are the "Liquid" diets some of you refer to? Maybe I will subject myself to that fun as well :)

I've already started daily exersizing, as well as cut out all carbonated beverages (So far, much more difficult than quitting smoking was for me).

Looking forward to dropping 100-120 pounds. I've done it once before without the band, so I know how great it feels, but my problem was obviously keeping it off.

I'm nervous, but I am excited as well. I look at it as being nervous about it is a good thing because it means we are concerned about our health...

Just got back from travel today (I have to fly frequently) Man do I look forward to being able to fit in a 17" wide seat.

Well you guys can add me to the list, I'm approved and am scheduled for 1/18/11. I started the process in June, but my IPA is very conservative, so I had to go through 3 months of nutrician classes, ekg, lung function test, physical, psych eval, sleep study and floroscopy.

The strange thing is that I haven't been given any dietary advice, just come to the pre-op a week before surgery. I'm a research-driven person (Been thinking about doing this for 10 years) so I know it is best to loose the weight to shrink the liver. What are the "Liquid" diets some of you refer to? Maybe I will subject myself to that fun as well :)

I've already started daily exersizing, as well as cut out all carbonated beverages (So far, much more difficult than quitting smoking was for me).

Looking forward to dropping 100-120 pounds. I've done it once before without the band, so I know how great it feels, but my problem was obviously keeping it off.

I'm nervous, but I am excited as well. I look at it as being nervous about it is a good thing because it means we are concerned about our health...

Just got back from travel today (I have to fly frequently) Man do I look forward to being able to fit in a 17" wide seat.

My dr has me on a 2 week mostly liquid diet; he seems to be a fan of unjury. However, I'm also allowed to have sugar free Jello and soft foods like low fat yogurt, oatmeal, and even low carb fresh veggies! So glad it's not as restrictive as most. The 2 week diet is more to help the surgeon than you; I was informed your liver sits on top of where they need to work so the smaller it is the easier it is for them to manuver. Figure it can't hurt; it will certainly help you get in the right frame of mind for the post surgery diet and people tend to get a jumpstart on the weightloss as well.

Melzie- YES!!! All that toe crossing worked I guess!! Lol

Turbodriver-welcome! Lots of Protein drinks and low carb, high Protein foods is what I'm expected to eat my 10 days pre-op - for the same reasons stated - it's that liver that needs to be shrinked! Can't wait to see your results!

Well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will be a January bandster! We shall see!! I am being banded in Savannah, GA by Dr. Angstadt.. They have a pretty decent program, I think most of the requirements are the same for the self-pay and the insurance patients though....

Info seminar

2 support groups (pre-op)

1 nutrition evaluation

Psych evaluation

Surgery clearance (for me that is from primary care and from cardiologist because I have heart disease)

1 fitness education class

1 band education class

Of course there are a few other things like paying my "program fee" ($275, that inculdes the support groups post-op, nutrition classes if they feel as though I need them after)

I have completed the original consult, the info seminar, going to a support group in the morning, got thumbs up by the psych evaluation and by my cardiologist, and have also done the nutrition education... I saw my PCP today to give her some of the paper work that is needed- so I will get all of that together and hopefully everything will be there to submit to my insurance... I guess my insurance required a 6 month diet/workout program by my physician, but they are changing that requirement come January, so they didn't make me start it just to have to changed- so it was waived... I am going to a support group tomorrow morning, and then another one the first week of January- so that will be marked off the list... Just have to come up with the 275 and attend the band education class- and all should be ready to go I guess...

Ok so a bit late at posting this but found out on thuresday that my surgery date is Jan 12th at 8:45 have to be at the hospital at 7:15am. I'm so happy but at the same time I have less than a month now and am getting nervious.

hey Ryan - it seems like your process has been pretty flawless so far!! Here's hoping your surgery goes the same! =)

I've got 45 days until mine!! OMG it seems so far away yet so close!!!

amybethy - how great you know an exact date now! You can get ready now in a little more detail!

Has anyone else already thought about what their "last meal" pre-band will be? I have.... lol I guess that's just the fat person in me!! booooo

hey Ryan - it seems like your process has been pretty flawless so far!! Here's hoping your surgery goes the same! =)

I've got 45 days until mine!! OMG it seems so far away yet so close!!!

amybethy - how great you know an exact date now! You can get ready now in a little more detail!

Has anyone else already thought about what their "last meal" pre-band will be? I have.... lol I guess that's just the fat person in me!! booooo

I've been thinking a LOT about my "last meal" (lol); as my pre-surgery diet inches nearer and nearer everything seems to taste so much better! I went to the macaroni Grill the other night and had a WONDERFUL meal; I'm thinking I'd like to repeat the before beginning the diet. I have to start the 27, and a few people sent me food for Christmas so this should be interesting. I have been making a conscious effort to try to eat slower and drink more. I even tried one of the unjury samples I received from the nutrition; not too bad but I'm sure I'll be singing a different tune after a few days lol. I keep telling myself I'll cross that bridge when I get to it!

I've been thinking a LOT about my "last meal" (lol); as my pre-surgery diet inches nearer and nearer everything seems to taste so much better! I went to the macaroni Grill the other night and had a WONDERFUL meal; I'm thinking I'd like to repeat the before beginning the diet. I have to start the 27, and a few people sent me food for Christmas so this should be interesting. I have been making a conscious effort to try to eat slower and drink more. I even tried one of the unjury samples I received from the nutrition; not too bad but I'm sure I'll be singing a different tune after a few days lol. I keep telling myself I'll cross that bridge when I get to it!

lol melzie - GOOD, I am not alone in my last meal thoughts!! haha

I have been trying to not drink with my meals as well... needless to say, I haven't been doing well! It's so natural and a force of almost 30 years of habit! I'm also trying to chew my food more times... again, this is a hard one.... I am hoping that once I am banded and have a actual REMINDER in my body that it will be easier!!

Hello new here. I got my date Jan. 3 2011 7am. the whole process went really fast much faster than I thought now I am nervous. I don't know why I think I over researched it. Is there such a thing?

Hello new here. I got my date Jan. 3 2011 7am. the whole process went really fast much faster than I thought now I am nervous. I don't know why I think I over researched it. Is there such a thing?

I totally hear you; my process went super fast as well. I saw my PCM 12/2, had my surgical consult, nutrition class and psych eval on 12/8, and was approved by insurance by 12/10! The surgeon's office wanted to schedule me for surgery for 12/23, meaning I would've had to start my presurgery diet on the 9th! I freaked a little and got it pushed back to 1/10. I think there's something slightly daunting about knowing it's FINALLY going to happen, you know? Excited but scared at the same time. Just know we're all going through this together and this is a GREAT place to find so much info as well as support from others. Welcome! :D