Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much should I be able to eat?

I go back to the doctor a week from tomorrow, so I'm going to discuss this with him as well, but I wanted to ask the more experienced of you...how much should I be able to eat? Because I can still eat pretty well!

I'm at 9ccs in an 11cc band, and I can definitely eat more than 1/4c at a sitting without discomfort. I'll get stuck if I'm not careful with *how* I eat, but I typically do not reach a point where I PB because I've eaten too much. I've had 3 fills total, and while I've noticed more episodes of getting stuck after each fill (I'm having a hard time adjusting to chew-chew-chewing and taking smaller bites), but I've only PBed twice in the 3 months since I've been banded. I'm concerned because at 9ccs, I don't have much more to go! I can eat a whole microwave lunch, or a large bowl of salad, or split one of the "for two" skillet meals with my husband, or a 3-4 "egg" egg beater omelet.

On the one hand, I guess if I'm losing weight it's not that big of a deal if I can eat more than the 1/4 cup my doctor keeps talking about - but on the other hand, I got this surgery for serious restriction, know what I mean? I guess you never feel like you're losing weight fast enough when you have a long way to go, and I keep wondering if I'd be losing MORE if I could just get down to that magical (mythical?) 1/4 cup...:unsure:

I was told 1/2 - 3/4 of a cup per meal depending on how the band formed the pouch. I am at 2 fills and 7.5cc and am about like you, pretty much can eat till it hurts. but no restriction except on not chewing or eat too fast. from what I understand the next fills will be much smaller and make a bigger difference sometimes a little as 1/2cc can be too much. my next fill is in 2 weeks so we shall see.

I was actually told a cup of food, three times per day and depending on how you feel a small snack (piece of cheese, etc.) or two.

1/4 cup of food doesn't seem enough to me at all. I believe I am at my 'sweet spot' -- losing 1 -2 pounds per week and not hungry between meals and regularly eat 1 cup of food at a sitting.

My Dr instructions are that I am to eat 4oz at each meal.(Some light snacking between meals allowed but very limited) just enough to get to the next meal. This is tuff if you are not at the right restriction ! Painfully sometimes its me talking myself out of returning to my ways before my band. It really does take a lot of self talk .............to keep yourself on tract

I feel like I have definately been eating too much! I never have done the 1/4 cup thing. I do eat less than before surgery, but my weightloss has stopped completely. Actually it's been the same for about 6 months now! Today I went and had a small fill. I am at 7.5 with a 9m band. I truly hope this tweek does the trick! Doc says liquid for 2 weeks, but he is a bit of an extremist. I am thinking 5 days like others have mentioned. Wish me luck everyone...I hope I can tell a big difference once I go back on solids. Doc wants to see me in 2 months to see what this does for me. I find it intersting how different people are eating different portions.

I go back to the doctor a week from tomorrow, so I'm going to discuss this with him as well, but I wanted to ask the more experienced of you...how much should I be able to eat? Because I can still eat pretty well!

I'm at 9ccs in an 11cc band, and I can definitely eat more than 1/4c at a sitting without discomfort. I'll get stuck if I'm not careful with *how* I eat, but I typically do not reach a point where I PB because I've eaten too much. I've had 3 fills total, and while I've noticed more episodes of getting stuck after each fill (I'm having a hard time adjusting to chew-chew-chewing and taking smaller bites), but I've only PBed twice in the 3 months since I've been banded. I'm concerned because at 9ccs, I don't have much more to go! I can eat a whole microwave lunch, or a large bowl of salad, or split one of the "for two" skillet meals with my husband, or a 3-4 "egg" egg beater omelet.

On the one hand, I guess if I'm losing weight it's not that big of a deal if I can eat more than the 1/4 cup my doctor keeps talking about - but on the other hand, I got this surgery for serious restriction, know what I mean? I guess you never feel like you're losing weight fast enough when you have a long way to go, and I keep wondering if I'd be losing MORE if I could just get down to that magical (mythical?) 1/4 cup...:unsure:

The question is NOT ever how much can I eat with the band ? You should be limiting yourself to what your Dr told you to eat at each meal . My dr still is telling me after 15 months 4oz is all I should have. The old days of stuffing are truely over now if you feel no resistance or full @ 4 oz tell you dr and get another fill.

The question is NOT ever how much can I eat with the band ? You should be limiting yourself to what your Dr told you to eat at each meal . My dr still is telling me after 15 months 4oz is all I should have. The old days of stuffing are truely over now if you feel no resistance or full @ 4 oz tell you dr and get another fill.

Exactly!! The band has a hole in it, it's not gonna stop you from eating. I got my first fill the other day 5.5ccs (I know big!). I can still eat the same amount, my small meal I was eating pre-fill, but i'm SO FULL and that feeling lasts for hours, I'm gonna have to eat less because it feels weird!

My doctor says 4oz, and only 4oz, and if I feel full before the 4oz is finished - stop eating. I have had two fills, and now rarely get hungry, but never feel full. I'm scared of rupture and/or band slippage so 4oz is where I will stay.

I have also been told to keep my 4oz meals 5 hours apart, with no fluids 20 minutes before or 60- 90 minutes after - and that is extremely difficult for me. Between work and normal life, the five-hour rule is causing me to skip meals. I do drink my Protein shakes as directed, but if I do, then I may not get my meals in. It's not fun, but I am getting used to it.

Stuffing is over. No way am I going to risk injury, or failure. It's so hard, I know, but Larraine is right- stick to what the Doctor ordered. :)

Betsy B. stated it right when she stated that the way we learned to feel full is never going to happen to us again (stretching of the stomach)and we must learn new signs in which to identify that we are satiated.. this is something that is not always easy for any of us, but we learn what works for ourselves. This process is an individual work of art and the amount that we can eat does vary from person to person. Literature tells us that the "normal" amount of expected loss is approx. 1 lb / week and this will flunctuate depending upon our bodies, what we eat, and our activity levels and then there are those that do everything right and still struggle to lose the lbs. I guess the trick is to continue to learn new behaviors and continue to fight to find out what works for us. easier said than done...but it can be done. Unfortunately, each physician has their own way of doing things and there is no standardized way / receipe to go by. I told my physician that I was tolerating 3 oz of Protein with a cup of veggies instead of what was reccomended (2 oz protein and 1/2 cup of veggies) he told me that as long as I was comfortable and loosing the weight then to continue with what was currently working for me. However, he did say that when the time came for a fill I should be prepared to potentially change my eating habits again.

Hello everyone. My doc told me to have 3 meals a day, and 2 - 3 Snacks a day. I usually eat 5 times a day, with HIGH Protein at each meal. But, it is working so far. I have had one fill, but doc told me no last time because I was losing so much weight. I have lost 74 pounds since September 23rd, and I am hitting my first plateau. I am hoping my doc will allow me a fill this week. I actually can eat one cup - one and a half cup at each meal. My doc said that was ok because I was losing so much. I am also working out at least 4 times a week, and one time a week with my personal trainer. Since I have started my workouts, I have had to increase my caloric intake also. I am not up to about 800-1000 calories a day. But, it is working for me.