Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you tell anyone or ????

I am having a hard time deciding whether or not I should tell people when they ask. I work in a large office in which my team knows as well as my boss. I am lucky they are all very supportive, but we all know no one really understands unless they have gone through it. Did you guys tell?

Also, I am now 22 days out from surgery and lost 17 lbs only the last 5 days I have lost 0 and I am so disappointed. I have had 600 to 700 calories a day and all my Protein and nothing. I feel like I failed the band already. I see everyone's stories and so many are so much further. They started around the same weight and were banded the same time. Either way I am very happy I did this. I am certain it saved my life. :smile2:

Several friends, most of my family and a lot of my coworkers all know about it. Nobody has been anything less than supportive, at least not to me personally.

For some reason, I'm shy about mentioning it on Facebook though?

I don't keep it a secret, but I don't tend to tell people who don't need to know. It's just like any other personal information, IMO.

That said, if I think it will help someone, I do share. I do this because the father of one of my son's friends was banded and told me about his band when I asked about his loss. It helped me when I was in the early decision-making process.

My husband and children. My closest friend who is also getting the surgery. That's it.

I haven't been shy about telling people I had wls. It is not anything to be ashamed of in my opinion. As far as your weight loss- you are doing great! I am wondering how often you weigh yourself. Daily flucuations will drive you crazy. When I was loosing I weighed in once a week and recorded it. I did cheat a few times and got on the scale more often. Now that I am maintaining, I weigh myself everyday.

like betsyb i will tell people if i think it may help them.

dont get discourage yet this is a slow process and remember everyone is different. on oct 15 it will be 9 months since my surgery and i have only lost 28lbs so far. I havent lost in about 6 months and yes i did get discouraged but in this time i have learned that i need to exercise and i started to take a close look at what i was eating. so i have excepted that this was a learning faze and it will only help me keep the weight off for ever. i know from others that have lost the weight really fast they dont really learn how to keep it off and sometimes gain it back so to me im really happy i did get the lap band and i know i can do this it just might take me alittle longer then some but i will succeed and so will you...

good luck in your journey

and remember this is about the journey and not only the finish line....

Jodi

I tend to see this as I do any other personal medical issue. Since I don't typically discuss my medical history with everyone in my world, I don't feel the need to share this. (But because I do think of my band as a medical condition I have ordered a medic alert necklace in case of an emergency.)

Besides my husband there are only three people who know I've had surgery. 2 have had wls and the other is in the process of meeting insurance requirements for wls.

However, if someone were to ask, and I felt my experience could help them, I would consider sharing.

I only initially told my parents hubby and MIL and my boss. after my surhery I told everyone who would listen! I just didn't want people to give me their opinions that's why I didn't tell beforehand. I take a picture monthly and post it on Facebook and wrote on my blog about it. everyone has been soooo supportive! (except for one very opinonated person) all my clients are so supportive and encouraging....and I have had multiple people tell me that I have inspired them to get off the couch and do something about their weight. I can't imagine keeping this great thing a secret....

Before the surgery I really did not tell many people. I did not want to be talked out of it or discouraged until I knew this was for me. After that seeing the response and support from my friends and family, I do not shy away from it. When people ask me how I have lost the weight I tell them. To me it is like following a plan like weight watchers. Simply put a tool.

I think people have a different out look on wls especially lapband.

I even have so much support and have been told by my friends that they will kick my butt if they see me breaking the rules (which I have not). We have a friend who had the procedure and he does not follow and even was telling me ways to break the rules. Which of course I did not listen.

I don't mind telling the world. It was the best decision I've ever made. I want to be the poster child for Lap-band. That is my goal.

People are asking me all the time how much weight I've lost. I even had somebody tell me I wasn't as squishy. I still love that. I don't walk up to somebody and say, "I've had Lap-band done.", but if they ask, I will certainly tell them. I've been approached by 3 different friends already asking me about getting Lap-band for themselves. They see how happy I am with mine, and how much weight I've already lost.

My family, best friend, boss and a few coworkers know. Im not really keeping it a secret but just now shouting it out every chance I get either. alot of people dont know much about lapband and how it works so I hate to go into the whole story about it but yesterday someone at work asked me how I was losing weight and I saidl Iv been exercising and watching what I eat but I also had lapband 2 months ago...than I end up feeling like I have to go into the fact that I havnt lost any weight in a month and its a slow process blah blah..and that is the annoying part...

i have a blog all about my experience and a few friends ive met through this site that i meet up with but they are the only ones who know. i told my husband, mom and dad. that is it. i just know all the negative remarks i would have gotten had i told anyone.

I currently work remotely so I don't have coworkers I see daily. Of my friends from my last onsite job I have only told one. He has some weight issues himself and has been very supportive and has asked questions (wondering if this would be a possibility for him). I wanted to tell my other friends in person so I waiting until I meet them for lunch which we do about once a quarter.

I would consider that if some people know it is a great likelihood that others will find out. As much as we in HR hate it people talk.... a lot.

You will have weeks that no matter what you do, you don't lose. I had surgery march 16 and have lost 57 lbs. But the last 3 weeks my weight has fluctuated 6 lbs. Up and down. I just can't seem to stay at the low part of that 6. I'm due for my fourth fill in a couple of weeks. I'm actually looking forward to it. I want to get back on the losing track. Stay with it. the weight WILL come off.

Only immediate family, a couple close friends, and a chosen few coworkers know. When asked about my weight loss I say I am working out 5-6 days a week and eating a lot less, which is true. I only share here and in WLS support group.