Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sept. 2010 Bandsters !!!

Hi All!

I was banded Sept. 16th. I have lost 15.5 lbs so far! I am 26 years old and decided to get banded so that having children wouldn't be challenged due to the weight. At my heaviest I was 308, and have now hit the two hundreds which is refreshing. I have a lot of family support and spend a ton of time reading this forum. On Thursday I get to start soft foods, and tomorrow is my post-op appointment. After reading this forum I guess I am lucky that my husband's insurance covered everything. I am currently a jobless teacher in Rhode Island (one of the worst state economies), but that means I have had a lot of time to figure this new diet thing out. There is a possibility that I may get a part-time teaching job which would be just perfect. It's wonderful to meet all of you and I look forward to our journey together!:unsure:

Well today was my first day back at work after about 1 month off ( 3.5 weeks Post Op Recovery , 1 day holiday 1 day pre-op ) and it was interesting. I got A LOT of " You Look Great ! ", " you lost a lot of weight ", " looking good ", etc.

It was pretty nice and encouraging. I didn't get razzled like I thought I would and it turned out I don't think my 4 friends spilled the Beans about me getting a REALIZE Band.

Today was pretty typical / I jumped straight back in. I had a few crises pop up / I had to handle them / I found out what movies we are currently working, got my usual dose of stress being the boss, etc. Not a bad day :unsure:.

-Brian :tongue2:

Brian--Glad you had a good first day back to work. I too returned to work yesterday. I only took off for a week and a half, but it was really hard going back. I am still very weak and tired. So I worked about 7 hours and left early. I am also a "boss" and had a ton of stuff thrown at me. I handled it all, but boy, was I pooped!!! Anyway, glad we're back to work and getting back into normal life.

I went to Outback Steakhouse over the weekend and was not sure how I would handle my first meal out. When the server brought my food I asked for a to-go box and portioned out my 1/2 cup and boxed the rest before I even took my first bite. It worked perfect. I was full and did not feel compelled to nibble.

It's a great feeling to be on this side.

Just a side note.

When I am reading about all the troubles, from getting insurance approval, recovery from surgery, starving during the liquid diet phase, learning to eat without puking and being able to sleep on our stomachs again and our friends have the "Nerve" to say we took the easy way out. ya right.

Cathy

Cathy--Great job managing the dining out! That's exactly how I plan to do it when I finally get the chance to eat something besides liquids!!! I can't wait! And as for you side note- "Amen, Sister!"

I was looking for you guys!

Yesterday was my first day that I was able to keep my fluids down.

I went for my post op visit today and am very dehydrated. I wasn't surprised because because I knew I had not been drinking like should since it came right back up again. Dr. Gorjala wanted me to go have IV fluids at the hospital, but since I am able to drink today, I asked him to let me see if I could do it on my own with gatorade and my other drinks. I go back tomorrow morning, so I am hoping things will be better by then.

I tried to go back to work yesterday and could only make it for half a day and went home at lunch. I am taking the whole day off today, but might try half days for the rest of the week.

On a positive note, I lost at least 10 pounds since the day of my surgery. My personal goal is to be less than 200 lbs by Halloween.

Hi MissJoany !

Does your Doctor allow you to eat right after a fill ? I don't want to be a spoil sport and for all I know your Doctor is different but My Doctor says I have to do a shortened modified food plan after every fill. 2 days liquid, 2 days Mushies, 2 days soft for me to adjust to the fill. Just like right the initial surgery but only 2 days for each phase. It is tohelp me adjust to the fill.

Every Doctor is different as you can see by their eating plans / stages after initial surgery ... so your Doctor might be different.

-Brian :unsure:

I'll be sure to ask on 10/15 Brian, I certainly don't want a mishap at the luncheon. Maybe I will just take some Protein Drinks with me.

Hi to the new faces!

Ok, folks, I need some cooking help. This week I am very excited to be adding baked fish to my diet BUT, shameful admission ahead. . .

I have ruined every piece of fish I've ever tried to make at home.

How the heck do you cook fish so that it is done, and soft, and flakey, and not overcooked? I am generally a good cook but fish flummoxes me!

First post-surgery appt tomorrow afternoon-- I'll find out then when my first fill is.

I'm afraid I cheated when it comes to cooking fish. I bought Gorton's tilapa and salmon. Already portioned out. You just pop it in the microwave. It's really good.

I was looking for you guys!

Yesterday was my first day that I was able to keep my fluids down.

I went for my post op visit today and am very dehydrated. I wasn't surprised because because I knew I had not been drinking like should since it came right back up again. Dr. Gorjala wanted me to go have IV fluids at the hospital, but since I am able to drink today, I asked him to let me see if I could do it on my own with gatorade and my other drinks. I go back tomorrow morning, so I am hoping things will be better by then.

I tried to go back to work yesterday and could only make it for half a day and went home at lunch. I am taking the whole day off today, but might try half days for the rest of the week.

On a positive note, I lost at least 10 pounds since the day of my surgery. My personal goal is to be less than 200 lbs by Halloween.

Glad you are coming along. You did the right thing but going back slowly. It is nice to set a goal, good luck.

Good Afternoon, it's looking like winter is coming here- not really but cold and rainy.

I am back to work, of course many yummy treats in the kitchen that I am ignoring. no one here knows, no one but my husband knows- oh yeah and all of you!!!

feeling pretty good, but I could just lay down and take a nap.

and today I was able to have some drinkable yogurt- oh was that yummy. Kefir here I come. I'm actually looking forward to a protien shake later this week. that Isopure is some kind of foul- it's like Syrup. I made my family some killer Soups this week so I could take the broth.

7 days post op! wow.

Thanks all for being here.

I heard kefir is really good. Sorry you didn't like the Isopure. They have drinks that are like kool aid that I drank for the first week, those weren't bad. But homemade Soup certainly does sound awesome. pureed Soups are quite tasty.

I returned to work yesterday too. Unfortunately I did not sleep well the night before so was really tired. Getting to midnight was a challenge, I think I could hear the clock tick away each minute, and then the drive home. But I am so excited to share!! I had found a Klondike bar in the freezer, and I threw it out. And when I got to work there was birthday cake and ice cream. I pulled out my egg beaters and cheese and didn't really think about it. I was extremely hungry all night however, but hung in there. When I got home, I was starving. In the past I would eat whatever I could find. This time though I ate a cottage cheese and had a Protein drink. I fell asleep on the couch, woke up around 0330 and then went to bed. Two people had noticed I lost weight.

I am kinda bummed though, as my doctor's office never signed any of the paperwork for my disability claim, and it's about to be denied. So no pay for three weeks. They never even signed my work release form to go back to work yesterday. But I think it was worth it.

Missjoany: :unsure::thumbup::tongue2: That's will powder keep up the good work.

Stateofzen: Try wrapping the fish in foil, and cook slow, keep checking to make sure it's not drying out.

Cathy: That is good, I have to keep that in mind when I get on the regular diet, box up what I'm not able

to eat before I start my meal. After your liquid diet did you have to do the pureed or Soft food diet before you started

the Regular diet. I'm going out of town on October 16 for a day, and I'll be on the pureed diet, I'm little afraid

about that. One thing I will be doing is pack my food.< /p>

Your doing wonderful keep up the good work. :crying:

Gale

I have my 2 week follow up today with my surgeon. I feel pretty much back to normal except my port site hurts more today than it ever has. I am thinking my recent airplane trip may have aggravated it.

I am still on the mushy stage of my post-op diet. I am pretty much scared to death to eat anything thicker than watered down oatmeal.< /p>

I have not felt any restriction at all. I have not gotten "stuck" on anything. In fact, if it weren't for the bruised scar on my stomach (the other 4 have healed perfectly) I am not convinced that I have a lapband!! I am basically running on sheer fear and willpower not to eat stuff I shouldn't.

I am sure I will be singing a different tune once I get my first fill. I hope they will let me know today when to expect one.

I am 1 week post op. I am very blessed that I have not had any problems. I am hungery. Still on full liquid until Friday. Looking forward to food that I can chew and chew and chew.

Hey everybody! Brian, Joany, SourMissG, scarred4life,etc. great to see you here.

So I'm almost at my 2 week mark and I'm still feeling tired and sore alot. I just started back to work yesterday and feel just worn completely out by the time I get done. Even at a desk job, 8 hours is sooo much for me right now! I just want a nap,lol! :tongue2:

Glad everybody is progressing through their meal plans well. I can't wait until I'm onto the mushie stage starting Thursday! If I have to have one more Protein Drink I think I'll hurl. :crying: :unsure: What are some of your favorite mushy foods? I know cottage cheese, applesauce, ricotta, but need more ideas. I have to do that for two solid weeks but hey at least its better than the liquids I've done for the last two weeks:thumbup:.

Anyway, really just wanted to say hey and tell you all I'm doing good. I so enjoy reading all your stories and hearing all your wisdom. Thanks a bunch!!

Hello, All! This is my first post since being switched to the new Sept Bandsters thread. Thanks, Brian, for doing the switch! I've been banded since 9/22 and I'm getting ready to go back to work tomorrow. I'm kind of on the fence about it. There's been a lot of changes taking place in the last week and a half! Anyway, I'm still on my liquid diet for two more days, but as of Wednesday packing my mushy food to work should be a lot easier. My biggest concern at this stage is being so weak. I work 10-12 hours days and I'm not sure I can do it this week. I've been sooooo tired I can hardly go without a nap! Where is everyone else on this?

It's been great reading about everyone and how we're all coping with the same issues. I look forward to a long journey will all of you!

Hi Kat - Glad to hear from you! I'm the same way - MUST HAVE that nap in the afternoon. My surgery was 9-29 so I'm 6 days out and feeling a little better after a bumpy weekend, but I feel so sorry for the people who have to go back to work this early. It's still kind of an effort just getting showered, dressed, and up and down out of chairs. Today I felt good this morning and worked in my home office thinking I was going to go gung-ho all day and then hit a brick wall at about 2:00 and slept till just now -- 2 hrs later. I guess when the body says rest, we MUST rest. Take it easy and recover! And be sure to take the fluids in because you will be weak until you're properly hydrated!

:unsure: hey Everybody ! So i was banded on 9/20/10. My doc does a strict 14 days prior liquid diet and liquid or mush diet for up to 8 weeks afterwards.. so i'm very jealous of those who are getting to eat normal solids by porportion after a week or two . i'm down 26 or so since a week before surgery so i'm not going to complain lol. Next monday will be the beginning of my fourth week and by instruction am able to start eating soft cheeses/mashed potatoes and baked or poached fish. i may have to start a few days early and have the fish this weekend and mashed because we are heading to the mountains for the weekend with friends.. and they will be eating and drinking all weekend.. at least i will be able to socialize and have something with them! Also for me i wasn't able to get down even close to the liquids i was suposed to for the first few days. sugar free popcycle's did help alot.. and i noticed hot broth or bullion did help with gas and getting it to move on ! I have no restriction what so ever right now because i haven't had first fill yet. So it's very hard to not eat normally , and taking alot more will power then before surgery ! anyone else finding that before first fill ?:tongue2:

I was supposed to get my first fill today (2 weeks post-op), but since I still have pain and swelling around my port, he pushed it off another two weeks.

I had mentioned that I couldn't sleep on my stomach yet because it was uncomfortable, so he started poking around and youch! Said I still had Fluid around my port site and put me off for another two weeks.

I realize it is silly, but it makes me feel like my body is taking an abnormally long time to heal, particularly since I'm only 35 and have absolutely no comorbidities. I guess most people he operates on are good to go at 2 weeks, but I'm not :thumbdown:

I did find out that he used the LapBand, not the Realize band though. Not that I cared at all, but I was curious :)

This week I get to add soft veggies, fish, and chicken or tuna salad into my diet so I'm super excited about that. I feel like I can go back to low carbing it. In spite of the lack of fill, I'm doing really well with my eating and I know I can do another two weeks, especially now that I get to eat some real food! I can't decide if I want spaghetti squash with marinara or fish and zucchini tonight. I also bought an eggplant to make baked eggplant with feta cheese.

Doctor's scale has me down 15 lbs since surgery date, which matches my home scale, so that's pretty awesome! Can't really complain.