Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sept. 2010 Bandsters !!!

hey everyone :smile2:

down 10lbs so far and i was banded 9/27 :(

super excited but i know this journey may get tough. i went to the movies today and almost broke. the smell of the popcorn and my lack of enthusiasm for my Protein shakes/sugar free jello/pops/broth did not mix well.

i asked if i could smell the popcorn. i figured if i couldn't much on the stuff i could at least get a good whiff of it.

sad isn't it?

but alas, i hunkered down and took a few sips of Water to help the craving pass along and found myself more interested in the previews than the popcorn within minutes.

i think that's what will be the hardest for me along the way; getting through the cravings.

:)

Hi OCButterfly !

Wow we are both Southern Californians and Bandsters. 10 Lbs is awesome! Yeah I have had all the same cravings as I am sure we all have. Its is kind of funny I have been home on Disability for over 3 weeks from my Operation & go back to work on Monday ... BUT I have been watching A LOT of TV including a lot of food shows on Travel Channel ( their food Paradise shows ) and I never really watched such shows before ( probably also no time before ). I have been a little more fascinated by Food then before but to tell you the truth I think I am finally getting over it or it is at least lessening. Going back to work where I work A LOT of hours should also help.

BTW what movie did you see and was it good ? I work in the Motion Picture Industry / am a Movie Fanatic but since I have been in the Industry I seem to see a lot less movies....

-Brian :unsure:

I have changed not only my eating habits but have also lost people along the way that I felt were negative and I will continue to do so; This journey has opened my eyes in many ways! Life is tooooooo short to be miserable or to have people around that are downers.... Time to live life to the fullest! Greetings from NC!

Hi Butterfly2010!

I am sorry to hear that about losing people... BUT as they say they probably weren't your friends or that good friends after all. So far I haven't lost friends but I have also mostly been cooped up at home / I return to work on Monday. I seriously wonder what kind of reactions I will get OR IF I GET SERIOUSLY HAZED OR RAZZLED by my friends or co-wrkers once I get back. I only told 4 people / close friends who weren't supposed to tell anyone but since I am fairly well known and people talk... EVERYONE might know. As a guy in a pre-dominately male work place / semi -testosterone filled environment... I am a little apprehensive. BUT screw 'em if they mess with me ... I am a higher up at work and I will make their lives miserable !!!! ( ha-ha just kidding ).

No I can take anything anyone dishes out but I do wonder.

Hope you are having a great weekend.

-Brian :smile2:

Mine was last Wed., 9-29 so just starting my 3rd day post-op, but I have a question. I am barely getting anything down -- an 8 oz glass of Water takes all day, a bit of applesauce with my crushed meds, a few sips of Tomato Soup. I'm okay with it -- not feeling hungry at all -- but I wonder how little is too little. I'm scared to end up in ER with dehydration. Is it okay these first few days; if so, I don't mind. But, if it's not normal to be taking in so little, I need to call the surgeon's office before it gets away from me. What do you think, anyone?

Thanks!

Debbie

Hi Debbie !

I didn't have the same Post Op experience as you in terms of being able to get down fluids. BUT try the Powerade ZERO instead of the Water to help restore some of your fluids too. My Doctor recommended a Gatorade type drink to help make sure I didn't get dehydrated. ALSO sip water all day long to also help maintain your fluids. Do it hourly, half hourly, etc. You definitely don't want to go to the ER for dehydration.

HOPE everything else is going well.

Hi Brian and everyone else from the Sept. 2010 Bandsters! We all made it! Yeah!

Thanks Brian for pushing us to cross over from pre op to post op and for keeping this great group together.

I was banded on 9/17/10 and I'm now in the mushy stage, which is so much better than the liquid stage. The only thing good I can say about the liquid stage is it makes you lose a ton of weight.

I had my first post op visit last Monday (9/27) and I'm down 18 lbs! :smile2: While 3 lbs. came off after my surgery (in 10 days, which is not too bad), most of the weight (15 lbs!) came off prior to my surgery. I feel like I made good progress!

I'm learning to eat differently - eating slowly and making better choices. Congratulations to us all! We are on our way!

Maxi

Hi Maxi !!!

I was wondering how well you were doing ? Has a lot of the pain gone away / are you feeling more like yourself yet ?

I am Hoping all is well and you are feeling GREAT.

-Brian :(

Hi, I was banded on 9/2/10. I am down 15.5 lbs. I am sooo ready for my first fill. All healed and first fill scheduled for 10/19. I can't wait. I feel I can eat anything and really needing the restriction. I still haven't eaten anything I shouldn't, just don't want to push it. The 19th can't get here quick enough.

Hi everyone! Well, I was banded Sept 22, but sorry to report I must stop the banding experience. I was so sick and so nautious I questioned whether I did the right thing by getting banded. I am still very weak and sick daily.....

The good news is, it has NOTHING to do with the band.

Timing is everything as they say, and I found out I'm pregnant just two days ago! Yeah, 40 and single, who'd a thought! How did that happen? So, no negative thoughts about the band, but it is going to have to wait until it's put to use!

Any questions? Bring em' on, I still need support! I'm still one of us, but my tickler probably won't change!

Love to all,

Brenda

Hi OCButterfly !

Wow we are both Southern Californians and Bandsters. 10 Lbs is awesome! Yeah I have had all the same cravings as I am sure we all have. Its is kind of funny I have been home on Disability for over 3 weeks from my Operation & go back to work on Monday ... BUT I have been watching A LOT of TV including a lot of food shows on Travel Channel ( their food Paradise shows ) and I never really watched such shows before ( probably also no time before ). I have been a little more fascinated by Food then before but to tell you the truth I think I am finally getting over it or it is at least lessening. Going back to work where I work A LOT of hours should also help.

BTW what movie did you see and was it good ? I work in the Motion Picture Industry / am a Movie Fanatic but since I have been in the Industry I seem to see a lot less movies....

-Brian :unsure:

Hi Brian!

Thanks! dude, this is it for me! i don't want to have an unhealthy relationship with food and while this won't cure my addiction it'll help me look towards another direction. so far so good :]

oh man, i go back on Mon too! i kinda feel like :smile2::wink2::sad::biggrin::(:mad2::biggrin::) about going back haha. that's a lot of emotions :biggrin:

it's been hard though because we work 12 hour days and while i like the extra money, it sucks because we have no time for anything else. my little one week mini recovery/vacation just reminded me how much time i lose because i spend so much time at work :/

ah well.

that's Life i spose.

i actually went to see "Let Me In" starring Kodi Smit-McPhee and Chloe Moretz and directed by Matt Reeves. i guess it's a remake of a swedish film? none the less i thought the movie was cute. my counterparts were pretty critical and not so enthusiastic but i enjoyed it....however the plot was easy to catch onto :/ and the film was rather long. the acting was very good though! hope those kids continue to act because they have talent and it's refreshing to see that :D the editing was terrific and the effects were good.

in my opinion it's not really a horror film....i thought it was comical though because people were expecting it to be. i saw a grown man try and brace himself for the "jumpy" moments. he was quite literally gripping his arms rests or holding onto the head rest of his seat.

overall it was interesting, but predictable i'm afraid.

it'll suit a select patient audiance i think.

Hi Butterfly2010!

I am sorry to hear that about losing people... BUT as they say they probably weren't your friends or that good friends after all. So far I haven't lost friends but I have also mostly been cooped up at home / I return to work on Monday. I seriously wonder what kind of reactions I will get OR IF I GET SERIOUSLY HAZED OR RAZZLED by my friends or co-wrkers once I get back. I only told 4 people / close friends who weren't supposed to tell anyone but since I am fairly well known and people talk... EVERYONE might know. As a guy in a pre-dominately male work place / semi -testosterone filled environment... I am a little apprehensive. BUT screw 'em if they mess with me ... I am a higher up at work and I will make their lives miserable !!!! ( ha-ha just kidding ).

No I can take anything anyone dishes out but I do wonder.

Hope you are having a great weekend.

Hi Brian,

no need to feel sorry, the people I left behind were not friends, just "people" around me. Coworkers, and others, and it did not have so much to do with me getting banded. More a clean up of my personal life; guess the banding just "brought" it on. Being home, having more time to think.... so it was and is a good thing. I want supportive people around me, people with a true heart and honest people! No time for fakeness! I enjoy the forum.... feel we all banded with the banding experience! :(

I just gotta say a quick hello, then off to Celebrate OU's win over Texas today...hope everyone is doing well. Boomer Sooner!!!

Hi everyone, I am 2 days post op today, still pretty miserable. Just real sore and shoulder pain is awful. I feel like I am doing pretty well otherwise. No appetite at all but I have been drinking fluids and broth. I ate some sugar free Jello too. It is really great reading about everyone's experiences!

Hi Maxi !!!

I was wondering how well you were doing ? Has a lot of the pain gone away / are you feeling more like yourself yet ?

I am Hoping all is well and you are feeling GREAT.

Thanks Brian!

I am feeling so much better than last week! I am just about at 100% now. No more pain, thankfully, and I can eat mushy food without it getting backed up. My incisions are almost all healed.

In a few more days I will start regular food. I'm nervous about this since I do not yet have any fill (I'll get my first fill on 10/28). I'm worried that I will not know when to stop eating. Or that I may get backed up because I don't chew enough and it can't go down.

Do you worry about these things? Are you on regular food yet? Thus far on the mushy stage I have been doing great and eating well but not too much. I actually feel great! I hope this lasts. Maxi

Edited by maxi2010
grammer

Hi everyone. I was banded on September 23. Down 12 lbs so far. I just started stage 3 or pureed foods but still have to make the Protein Shakes my priority intake. Can only have one or two pureed foods including applesauce, pudding a day. I am starving but hanging in there. How do others deal with being hungry?:smile2:

Hi Debbie !

I didn't have the same Post Op experience as you in terms of being able to get down fluids. BUT try the Powerade ZERO instead of the Water to help restore some of your fluids too. My Doctor recommended a Gatorade type drink to help make sure I didn't get dehydrated. ALSO sip Water all day long to also help maintain your fluids. Do it hourly, half hourly, etc. You definitely don't want to go to the ER for dehydration.

HOPE everything else is going well.

Hi Brian - Will do some of the Powerade ZERO as suggested. Thanks for that! I'm def enjoying the fruit juice (nas) popsicles that you mentioned. I got a few more fluids down tonight but sometimes after I've taken in around 1/2 c or so (not fast), I get this feeling that is a little painful and like it's starting to come up (not vomit; just rolling up). If I straighten up, it sort of resolves. Does that sound familiar? Does it mean that I've filled the pouch and it doesn't have anywhere to go?

This is so hard to figure out! I have so many questions. But, I just need to be patient -- it's only been three days.

Did anyone else have to have an upper GI after the surgery. I have one scheduled for Monday to check band placement. I'm worried about drinking the barium stuff. Is it much?

Thanks so much for your help and encouragement. I find this forum so helpful!

Best of luck to everyone else!

Debbie

I was banded on Tuesday, September 28th and I'm down an overall 21 lbs since the pre-op diet. In my opinion, it's so far so good. I'm keeping up with fluid goals and experimenting with as many Soup broths as I can. No matter how many different flavors I can find I'll be relieved to move on to full fluids and add a little more variety to the menu. :smile2:

Hi everyone! Well, I was banded Sept 22, but sorry to report I must stop the banding experience. I was so sick and so nautious I questioned whether I did the right thing by getting banded. I am still very weak and sick daily.....

The good news is, it has NOTHING to do with the band.

Timing is everything as they say, and I found out I'm pregnant just two days ago! Yeah, 40 and single, who'd a thought! How did that happen? So, no negative thoughts about the band, but it is going to have to wait until it's put to use!

Any questions? Bring em' on, I still need support! I'm still one of us, but my tickler probably won't change!

Love to all,

Brenda

CONGRATULATIONS BRENDA !!!

Does that mean you are having the Band removed or that you will have it empty and just wait until you and your child are ready ? Just curious. I guess you are on a different journey for a little awhile !!!