Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Some Questions to ask about LAPBAND

Here are some good questions to ask before or at your initial meeting with you band surgeon. I found this when I was cleaning out my computer of all band related items. Seems to be a pretty good list actually. I will make this a sticky for all future bandsters.

Questions about surgery

About the surgery

What is the exact name of the surgery and how is it done? Write down the name if you don't think you will remember it.

Why do you need the surgery?

Will you be able to go home the same day of the surgery (outpatient surgery)? If so, will you need to have someone take you home after the surgery?

Does the surgery require an overnight stay in the hospital (inpatient surgery)? If so, how long will you be in the hospital?

What will you need to do to prepare for the surgery?

What are the risks and benefits?

How often is this surgery successful? What does a successful outcome mean?

What can you do to improve the likelihood of success (such as changing your diet or beginning certain exercises)?

What is the risk of death or disability?

What is the next step if the surgery fails?

What is the likelihood that your problem will return after surgery?

What kind of anesthesia will be used (local, regional, or general)?

How long will the procedure take?

What is the cost of the surgery? Is it likely to be covered by medical insurance?

About your choices

Consider your preferences for treatment. If you are not sure what treatment is best for you, get a second opinion.

Have you considered all your options? Are there any nonsurgical options to consider?

How critical is the timing of the surgery? Is there any flexibility in when it is scheduled? Be prepared to discuss your scheduling preferences.

About your surgeon

What is the surgeon's experience with this procedure? How many procedures has he or she done per year? What is his or her success rate?

Does the surgeon have board certification in this area?

Will another doctor be assisting your surgeon?

Will the surgeon be using a new instrument or piece of equipment during the procedure? Has the surgeon been fully trained in the use of the instrument or equipment?

Who will be giving the anesthesia? Discuss the anesthesia options with your surgeon ahead of time.

Will anyone be in the operating room other than the doctors and nurses needed to perform the surgery (such as a person involved in training the surgeon on a new piece of equipment)?

About your recovery

What should you expect during the recovery period? What is normal?

What kinds of self-care could you be doing to help your recovery?

Will your activities be limited during the recovery period? If so, which activities and for how long?

What help might you need while you recover?

What symptoms should you call your doctor about?

Partnering with your doctor

Tell your doctor your preferences for treatment. Are there other options you would like to consider other than surgery?

Discuss your biggest concerns about the surgery.

Tell your doctor the results you expect to get from the surgery. What outcome would you consider to be a success? What would you consider a failure?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I am about to schedule my date (after many appeals and finally success with an external appeal! but that's another post entirely).

My question is how long should a person expect to be ut of work? My commute is two hours one way. I travel into NYC every day. My day is spent at t desk. I know a person who returned to work after three weeks. I've read some posts of people who return to work within the first week. So, I wonder what is reasonable to expect to be out?

Thank you!

I had surgery on Thursday and returned to work on Monday. I felt great all weekend and my commute is about one hour. I did not spend a full day at work the first day and was going strong on the second day. I think it all depends on you and how you feel. Don't push it.

Thanks to the folks who responded to my question for how long to expect to be out of work. I will be banded at the end of January (happy and scared all at the same time) and am trying to determine just how long to tell my boss that I will be out. The doctor's office said to expect to be out 2-4 weeks. But so far, your responses indicate less - a few days to 2 weeks. WOW! That's incredible!

Wannbehappy,

I was out of work for 3 weeks and just started back yesterday and I am exhausted. I do have a semi physical job, so you never know.

Guest djbigron

Hi I am new to the forum. I am 428lbs. Right now I have problems with soreness in my legs and somtimes takes awhile to get moving after I stand up. I also have red blotches of skin on my legs due to my cirrculation problems. I think its called statis mallitis somthing like that. Will these scares go away. please help I am truely scarred

Thanks

Okay, this answers part of my questions. I had lap band in 1997 in Houston by Dr. Molina. It worked great at first. I lost over 200 pounds. Then I started cheating on my band and I am almost right back up to where I was minus a cheating husband, a divorce and a broken heart.

Despite my excuses, I need to have this band redone. But I have questions like how long I might be out of work? How big the scar might be (my first was only 3 inches long? Can Dr. Spiegel redo the band with the new adjustable one? etc.

I would love to hear from one of his patients who can help answers some of my questions.

Sheryl

casastsh@swbell.net

I had the surgery done on a wednesday and went back to work the next tuesday. I was a little week, but as soon as I got to add mushies, I got stronger.

I had the surgery done on a wednesday and went back to work the next tuesday. I was a little weak, but as soon as I got to add mushies, I got stronger.

:):( I AM NEW, SENT A LONG POST BUT NEVER SAW IT ,OH WELL. HAPPY TO BE APART OF THE GROUP. PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I APPEAR TO DO OR SAY SOMETHING WRONG :rolleyes I HAD LAP-BAND 2/OI/06.SURGERY,MOSTLY DUE TO FAILING HEALTH'S,VIA MY DR. ADVISE.ONE THING I MUST KNOW AND HOPE I GET NUMEROUS REPLIES ON THIS. OK,HERE WE GO.I ENTERED A LAP-BAND PROGRAM,FROM THE TIME I WENT TO A SEMINAR,SIGNED UP FOR A EVALUATION WITH THE SURGEON,APPOINTMENTS AND TESTS WITH MANY OTHER DR.S,EVEN TOOK 7 EXTRA NUTRITION CLASSES IT TOOK OVER 7MO.I FELT IT WAS LIKE GOING BACK TO COLLEGE. BECAUSE I HAVE A BIPOLAR CONDITION [MANIC DEPRESSION]THEY WANTED ME TO BE ABLE TO FOLLOW THROUGH [TO NEAR PERFECTION]I FELT VERY INTIMIDATED!!! I THINK IT WAS FOR OTHER REASONS,CANT SAY!!!HERE IT GOES I NEVER,EVER,HEARD ANYONE IN 7 MO. THAT WHEN I HAD SURGERY THE BAND WAS NOT TO BE IN A WORKING CONDITION???????????????? AND ABOUT 2MO. THEY WOULD FINISH IT COMPLETELY.WHERE WAS I AT ?? TO NEVER REMEMBER THAT??? THE DISCHARGE NURSE TOLD ME YOU NO YOU ARE NOT HOOKED UP YET DON'T YOU!!?? NO I DID NOT.MY GOSH I DON'T UNDERSTAND.SHE SAID THE SWELLING HAS TO GO DOWN ETC.I WILL SEE MY SURGEON TODAY 2/23/06.,FOR THE 2ND. X SINCE SURGERY. I WAS TOLD IN 2MO. IT WOULD BE DONE I HAVE BEEN ON liquids FOR 25 DA. AND ON CRUSHED MEDS. 3XD. [[HATE HATE HATE] CRUSHED WITH A MARBLE AND A PEDESTAL. TERRIBLE TASTING :cry :cry .I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY POSTS ABOUT THE MEDS. AND LIQUIDS FOR THIS LONG. I AM SO HUNGRY,I NEVER NEW WHAT REAL HUNGER WAS.. I AM APPREHENSIVE ABOUT SWALLOWING SLOW.AND NEVER EATING AND DRINKING AT THE SAME TIME,FRIGHTENS ME :think I AM A GULPER WITH LIQUIDS WITH LIQUIDS,HOWEVER I EAT VERY SLOW. TEAM MATES PLEASE RESPOND TO MY POST AS TO YOUR THOUGHTS. THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS YOU ALL,I WILL BE PRAYING FOR YOU ALL!! PRAISE HIM

Praise Him -

Maybe a moderator can move this thread to one of it's own - you hit reply on a different subject, so you may get more responses if your question is posted by itself.

I believe what your surgeon's office meant was that the band is not designed to work until you start getting fills. Everything is hooked up and ready to go, but you have to heal first and let the swelling go down before they fill your band, otherwise you wouldn't be able to swallow your own spit.

No worries, follow your doc's protocol, and you'll be on your way before you know it.

somewhere there was a chart posted by a bandster that showed the different sizes of bands does anyone know where that post is/??

Hi,

I am new in the forum and researching the lap band procedures.

I am glad you all got in this forum and have comments, strenghts and success stories.

Would like to know from some of you done the band few years ago ( may be 5 or more) if were able to lose the weight and reach your goal and able to maintained and for how long.

Also, after you "perfect fill", is the port ever needed? will it close and not be use? is there infection or other complication for having a port or tube in your body?

thanks

Crazycibertalk