Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November bandsters unite!!

I am suspending my need to understand the pre-surgery diet. I know they want us to shrink the liver and stomach. For now - that's good enough information for me. Now ask me how I feel about this on about day 5 or 10 or the liquid diet. I imagine my answer will be much different.

BacktoBestMe,

The insurance company usually requires a long term pre-op diet so that you can prove that you are able to change your eating habits over time, prove that you're capable of following a nutrionally sound diet plan, etc. You also have to show your diet history. Mine goes back to age 13 and startedwith a doctor prescribed diet. The reason the Dr. requires a short term liquid diet a week or 2 before surgery is so that your liver will shrink. Your liver is in front of your stomach. Typically the liver of an overweight person has large fat deposits which makes it hard to do laproscopic surgery on the stomach. The Dr. has to move the liver out of the way in order to implant the band around the top part of your stomach. If your liver is too big, you surgeon will not be able to complete the surgery successfully. I hope this helps.

So I have started my diet today and I have to say it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I thought I was going to be super hungry but in reality I am not and I actually like my shakes with the fat free milk...which you can ask anybody that knows me LaShonda don't drink no darn milk.lol. But everything here is going good...so in a couple of days I will let you all know if I am ready to kill myself with out food...lol...Plus I wanna drop 25 pounds during my liquid so i have incorporated 30 mins of exercise in everyday!!!!YAY

13 days until I get banded

:sneaky:11/9/10 will change my life forever!!!!!!

I'm glad to hear that it might not be as bad as I imagine. I'm trying not to worry about it (2 wks liquid diet) until I need to worry about it. I'm approximately 5 weeks away from surgery. Please keep us posted.

Hi Ladies,

My name is Ka'Ron and I am in my pre-op stage which is the clear liquid diet. My sugery date is 10/18/2010. :huh2:

Helloooooo, I am tentatively scheduled for November 23rd. :)!!

I had my meeting with the surgeon on October 11th, they sent my authorization into the insurance on the 18th, and supposedly I'm in on Nov. 23rd.

My birthday is Nov. 20th (I'll be 32, UGHHH) and I had already taken off Nov 18th through 28th. We had the 25th and 26th off anyway, so I'm hoping to bump it sooner if I can.

Just waiting on authorization from insurance. So hopefully they don't sit on the claim forever. :huh2:

Rudgirl...I'm November 16th. I too have to follow the Atkins Diet. I see you are in Austin. So am I. I have Dr. Esquivel through True Results. What about you?

Dawnya

Hi Dawnya,

YAY!!:huh2: I am so excited to find not only someone who is my same date..but same city...same Dr, and almost same age!!! I feel so much better about this now. My email address is rudgirl@msn.com, feel free to email me , as I am running out to soccer practice for my girls for the night, and am at the fields most nights. My phone is 751-3183, and I'm happy to text also. Hope to chat with ya soon.

Elika

Yes...the Diet is way easier then I thought it would be, of course though I am a big girl and I really want food. However I know that I can't so today I have been doing really good...no fruits allowed only 2 cups of veggies like carrots, celery, tomatoes, cucumbers. I have had one small Tomato and I am full just the smell of food getting to me. I never have had to restrict myself like this so this is all new to me...Now in a couple of days I should have this thing down packed.

Anyone else enjoying their liquid diet...but missing food and the taste of it, like me?:huh2:

:thumbup:Beginning new 11/9/10...7:30 AM

Hello,

I excited to say that my surgery is scheduled for Nov. 10, 2010. I can not wait for the new journey of my life to begin!!! Good luck to all that have a Nov. surgery date and I wish everyone much success in their journey.:huh2:

Lisa, I am starting my pre-op on Nov.1, though I do not have to start until the 4th. My date is the 11th. But like you, I am eager to get started and get adjusted. My doc requests 7 days of liquids and the day before to be all Clear Liquids. The liquid diet includes shakes, puddings, yogurt and Soups with mushy noodles/rice. I can also have a few saltines if needed too. The nutritionist in the the dr's office created a pre op diet for me to follow. She also created a menu for the 2 week post-op and transtion weeks also. I will do my very best to follow it so I don't get sick or have any problems.

Topazz, I wish I could have saltines, not particularly fond of them but darn they sound like a gourmet meal after 6 days on this pre-op. I am sooooo...ready to get to the other side of surgery.

So I have started my diet today and I have to say it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I thought I was going to be super hungry but in reality I am not and I actually like my shakes with the fat free milk...which you can ask anybody that knows me LaShonda don't drink no darn milk.lol. But everything here is going good...so in a couple of days I will let you all know if I am ready to kill myself with out food...lol...Plus I wanna drop 25 pounds during my liquid so i have incorporated 30 mins of exercise in everyday!!!!YAY

13 days until I get banded

:sneaky:11/9/10 will change my life forever!!!!!!

You can do it! I'm on day 6 of the liquid pre-op (10 day total). In my experience so far day 3 can be rough but its getting easier, espeicially during the day at work, it's a breeze. At home at night on the couch is a bit more challenging especially when my son and hubby are having solid food, but WE can and WE will make it through. Keep up the good work!

I have actually lost about 4-5 pounds on the pre-op so far. :huh2:

I know a co-worker's wife who lost 15lbs. on her pre-op; we have the same surgeon.

It's the keeping it off with the help of the band that I am looking forward to.

85lbs. to go November members!!!!!

Hi Ladies,

My name is Ka'Ron and I am in my pre-op stage which is the clear liquid diet. My sugery date is 10/18/2010. :huh2:

I thing you meant 11/18. That is the same day as mine. I don't start my pre-op diet until 11/4.

I know right?....can't wait to begin my new life journey the diet is a lil tough for me at work... I work at a shelter so it's food everywhere and my clients are always feeding me....but they all know about my surgery so they haven't been trying to feed me today which is good...They have actually even kicked me out of the kitchen because they were cooking and wanted to be nice about the fact that I can't have it...home should be easier...I will just try to sleep.< /p>