Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did Bandster Hell start for you?

I've had no Hell at all. I started the process a year ago; was banded 6 months ago and have been enjoying every bit of it.

Keep a positive attitude and you probably won't have any problems.

Btrieger: wow, I just looked at your before and after pics. That's an amazing weight loss!

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I see that many people entered bandster hell after several weeks. I'm still hoping this surgery fill will be enough to stop hunger. My surgeon did say that he gave me what he thought was an optimal amount. Otherwise, I'm set to enter bandster hell during midterms! :)

I had surgery on Aug 25th and had my first post op appointment. I have been on liquid only since 48 hrs before my surgery and not scheduled for my first fill till 6 weeks from now. I am starting to be a little more hungry, and this is most definitely not head hunger as my stomach actually growls. I just try to drink some Water or sip more Protein shake (getting a little tired of them, but the do satisfy me somewhat). I am having a hard time because every other commercial on the damn TV is about food which makes my stomach growl even more. I should be on puree foods in another week and a half and am looking forward to feeling a little more full.

I have no regrets in doing this other than my sleep deprivation (which I cant figure out for the life of me) as of my first post op I was already down 10 and other than the sleep and slight tenderness in my belly I feel flipping fabulous!!! I am going to make this work and I am going to get healthy!!!!!

So glad I joined this site for the support and ideas I have gotten! Thank you all for your posts!

Tyna

I think it's really important to note that, while hungry--it was something I was really well-prepared for, so it didn't seem hellish. I just told myself, "Eh, you're hungry. You won't be soon."

I was able to stick with my doctor's (very stringent) recommended eating plan by reminding myself that it really would be the last time I would be hungry (ever again!) in the name of weight loss.

I was fortunate because I knew what to expect in advance; I think it's lots harder for those who are taken by surprise.

I've been reading the posts on this site (but not participating) for a few months so far. In fact, I feel as if I've gotten to know many of you regular posters although you know little about me! Anyway, I'm pretty familiar with the usual bandster terminology, challenges, and experiences. I'm just waiting to see which experiences will apply to me (e.g. I would like to pass on the slipped-band experience!).

I think it's safe to say that "bandster hell" is the time period after surgery to the time u get the 1st fill. Some feel really hunryr and have to use sheer will power...... I'm just over 2 weeks post op and I haven't had real hunger. I've had head hunger and felt like I had a food funeral. LOL... but that's it. Now, the clear liquid stage 1 for me was bandster hell. I had extreme gas pain, an over active tummy (u could hear my stomach across the room), and a bad case of diarrhea :thumbup:. I called my doc and he advanced me to full liquids after 4 days post op :scared2:. Then, my "bandster hell" was over.

Now, I've managed to tame my head hunger. :biggrin: I haven't had real stomach hunger and I'm feeling superb!

I think it's safe to say that "bandster hell" is the time period after surgery to the time u get the 1st fill. Some feel really hunryr and have to use sheer will power...... I'm just over 2 weeks post op and I haven't had real hunger. I've had head hunger and felt like I had a food funeral. LOL... but that's it. Now, the clear liquid stage 1 for me was bandster hell. I had extreme gas pain, an over active tummy (u could hear my stomach across the room), and a bad case of diarrhea :thumbup:. I called my doc and he advanced me to full liquids after 4 days post op :scared2:. Then, my "bandster hell" was over.

Now, I've managed to tame my head hunger. :biggrin: I haven't had real stomach hunger and I'm feeling superb!

Well, it seems that several people who have had the band for quite a while say that bandster hell didn't start until even 6 weeks post-op and lasted until their third or fouth fill. I.E. they felt fine until several weeks post-op. I'm not sure most people are referring to surgery gas pain, diarrhea, or just the distaste toward broth in the clear liquid stage. I think that's just what's involved in surgery recovery.

I think "bandster hell" specifically refers to the period before you achieve restriction and are literally hungry from eating a half-cup to a cup of food only.

I was banded 8-26-10 and do not feel hunger yet. I did have a hiatel hernia repair also so maybe that causes more swelling? Anyway I have lurked on this site for about 9 months and am grateful for the experiences of others as they have let me know all the options to expect. SO I am expecting "Bandster Hell" if it occurs. Thanks to you all for sharing your experience.

You had the same surgery day as me. I also had a hiatal hernia. Supposedly, 90 percent of lapband patients have that particular hernia. It's probably because most patients are obese. I also suspect some added swelling at the site of the hernia.

Nice to meet you and good luck, Band-Twin!