Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First of all, I would like to say how much I like this forum! Everyone is so helpful and friendly! I'm reading a few blogs from this site - and wow! I'm totally a blog addict, now! (Thanks Catherine55 and Mary, I've read your blogs from start to finish!)

I am at the very beginning of my banding process! My PCP appointment is at the end of August, he will write a letter of necessity to the surgeon I have selected and we will go from there with my insurance company (UHC).

My questions stem from all the blogs I've been reading as well as from posts here! Hopefully, you guys can help me out!

1. What EXACTLY is a PB? Is it vomiting?

2. Bandster Hell - how long will I be on liquids/mushies before the 'hell' part kicks in?

3. Please explain "slider" foods?

4. No Diet Coke ever again!?:lol: (I'm an addict)

5. Caffeine? Out of the question? My other addiction, aside from Diet Coke is Iced coffee. I'm not even kidding a little bit about this one.

6. I work with a person who has had gastric bypass. She's trying her hardest to talk me into the bypass instead of the band. I don't want a bypass, I want the band. I just have no actual reason for it, other than a personal idea that the band is better for ME (not necessarily for everyone - just me) Any reasons why the band is better than the bypass?

7. I have friends. LOL. A few of them are skinny but most of them are also heavy. When I told them at practice (we coach cheerleading) the other day that I was seriously considering the band - they gave me the "cheater" look... Ugh. I LOVE my friends but I really wonder - why do people consider this cheating? WHO am I cheating? Me? Them? I just wondered if anyone had any insight on this situation.

That's all for now!! Thanks in advance!~

:mad:

Awww!! No one has any info on this?! ;c)

I will give a shot at answering you, from what I have learned from being on the forums and stuff. I am not banded yet, still in the pre op process.

PB - is a productive burp, from what I can tell it is a burp or a regurgitation that brings up some food or stomach acid or stuff. So it is not actual vomitting.

Bandster Hell - I gather this is the period of time after you got your band and before you get restriction, when basically you only have will power keeping you going. You are going to be hurngry, but if you follow the rules, can't eat that much, so you are in hell trying to force yourself not to eat.

Slider foods are foods that are soft and can go right past the band. Yogurt, ice cream, cottage cheese. Things of that nature that will not keep you full, but will give you calories.

As for Diet coke, this is something I still haven't given up, as I love it too. They say you should not drink it. I saw somewhere that the gas could expand your pouch. I also saw somewhere that that was a myth. I also might have seen somewhere that you may be able to have it later on. I am not sure the exact reason you are not supposed to drink soda or if you have to cut it out for good. Best to let someone else answer that one.

I don't think I have seen anywhere that you can't have caffeine. I beleive you can have coffee, I don't drink it, so not really sure. Unfortunately for me Diet Coke is my only real caffeine source, so when I give it up, I might have to find something else that has caffeine in it.

As for Lap band vs. Bypass. I knew a person that had lap band and one that had bypass. They both did well, though I haven't see the guy with the lap band in a while, so not sure if he lost all the weight. Bypass worries me. I do not like the idea of having things cut up inside I am a LVT, basically a nurse for animals and I have seen animals that had to have foreign bodies removed and their intestines sutured back together. At the site it every so often breaks down and their waste leaks into their abdomen and they get really sick. So I think of that and I get worried. Also the idea of dumping syndrome and never being able to eat a piece of chocolate again. I'm sorry but not for me. I do not want to feel deprived for life. So that is my opinion. Lap band you have to eat less, but you can eat what you want in moderation after time.

As for your friends I have only told my mom and a guy I have worked with for many years and I trust. Both of them were very supportive. I am kind of worried to tell other people for the same fear. But I will tell them in time and I will just have to remember I am doing this for me and no one else and what they think does not matter to me. Deep down it does because I am a very sensitive person, due to things that have happened to me, but I have to keep telling myself that it doesn't matter what they think.

I hope this helps and hopefully other people will post and maybe help you more.

I just had my surgery on 8/13/2010 and i'm still on liquids. It's hard but once you stick to it and get use to it after a week you kind of get the hand of it. It's not as bad. However i'm excited for my 3rd week where i can include some pudding, cottage cheese, and a thicker Soup....

As far as lapband vs. gastric...i had my heart set on lapband, but the bariatric doctor that i was referred to was completely against it and tried to move me over to gastric...he gave me some time to think about it, but for me i stuck with lapband...i also agree that i sometimes have a sweet tooth and i need my sugar high even if it's a sugary product that has low sugar...i need something sweet....i've heard with people who have had gastric they can't even have sugar...a friend of my sisters actually passed out when she drank lemonade...and this was after 2yrs of having gastric surgery...that completely freaked me out...a lot of people tend to have less complications with lapband compared to gastric....my doctor also said that you lose weight faster with gastric than you do with lapband...i told him that i'm not looking for what can make me lose the most weight...but what can push me into changing my lifestyle in eating better foods, exercising...i don't want something like gastric to take over me completely where i'm loosing weight without working out....that's why most people who have done gastric have loose skin....because you loose weight super fast....another thing is i also don't like that fact that they cut your stomach...it's permanent and can not be reversed...that freaks me out...i actually ended up changing doctors and found someone who was completely for lapband....it's only been 1 week in, but i'm hoping for some amazing results a year from now...i can't wait to start working out and having this weight drop...i've already notice changes in a week....

I have only told my family (mom, dad, sisters, brother) and my roommate. My roommate was the one that suggested lapband for me and i'm glad she did....she has been my inspiration....and all i can say is that she was the one that recommended to me not to tell people because some will agree other will not...the skinny ones are the ones that don't think you need it because they don't know how it feels to be big and not have clothes fit you the right way and not be happy with yourself....fat friends will say you shouldn't do it because they are probably concerned that you will now be thinner and what will happen to having a partner in crime in the obese club.....that's why it's good NOT to tell people and if you do don't let there comments get to you...do it for yourself....

Good Luck!

I think the person above me pretty much covered it all Good luck on your upcoming appointments...:lol:

Thanks for your replies!! I feel a lot clearer on my issues. I thought of more questions last night but I'm going to wait for my first appointment and see how that goes.

Right now I'm waiting for my first DR appointment!

I have been banded snce April 7 and I would like to give you more information.

Bandster Hell is any time when you are not restricted enough to hold down the hunger. I was really lucky. I was restricted from surgery due to swelling and this went on for weeks. I got my first fill at 5 weeks and every 4 weeks after that. I have gotten very small fills so I am still at just 3.5cc. The point here, is, everyone is different. Do not measure yourself against others.

One thing that really helps is to eat your Protein first, make sure you are getting 60-75 grams of Protein per day and stay away from the carbs. If you do not have restriction yet, avoiding carbs will help curb your appetite. It really does make a difference. Getting in all your fluids helps too because thirst is often mistaken for hunger. You can influence Bandster Hell quite a bit by your eating habits. Restriction, however, is the key.

Slider foods are not just foods that go down easily. They are foods that digest in the mouth and quickly turn to liquids. This includes candy, white bread, sweet rolls, potatoes, Cookies, cake, all the good stuff, of course. These must be avoided as they slide right through the band and add tons of calories. Any of these things you eat should be eaten after your pouch is at least partially filled with protein as it will hold in the pouch for a long time.

PBing is when food comes back up from the pouch with a burp. It is not painful, does not include much if any stomach acid as the food has not gotten to the big stomach yet. It is not like vomiting - no heaving. If you actually get stuck, you may have heaving to get it up.

There are a lot of reasons I chose the band over the bi-pass. It is adjustable. Over time it has been shown that you can adjust to the bi-pass and start gaining again. You can eat around the band too, but you can also adjust it. The bi-pass is a mal-absorption technique and that just did not seem healthy to me. The band can be easily removed. The bi-pass can sometimes be reverse, but not easily.

I was addicted to Diet Coke too. I drank 5-6 per day, everyday. Sometimes more. I made up my mind to do everything I needed to do to get ready. I gave up caffeine first -- be ready for head aches and grumpy mood. Then I gave up pop of all kinds and started drinking Water with Propel Vitamin mix it in. The change over was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I do not miss my Diet Coke.

After I gave up the pop and caffeine, I started a high protein, low carb diet pre-op. It was not required by my surgeon, but it helps shrink your liver so surgery is easier, and I got my hunger under control before I had surgery. I think it helped the hunger after surgery a lot so I did not suffer from Bandster Hell.

As far as the easy way out - that is so absurd. I was taking medications for high blood pressure. Is that the easy way out, to use medical science to help you solve a problem? And I am here to tell you, using the band is hard work and dedication. It is not EASY. It is a tool, just like my C-pap, my high blood pressure meds, my diabetes meds, and my bra to keep my boobs from sagging! :confused: I am going to use whatever tools I can find to help me be healthy, happy and look good. I am sure you can find lots of examples of tools your frinds are using, too. Don't listen to them - do what is good for you!

I am off my diabetes meds, have cut back my high blood pressure meds, am getting my C-Pap adjusted, have lost over 60 pounds and have gone from a 2x couch potato to a 14/16 person who exercises everyday. It is wonderful. the band has given me the edge I needed to get the weight off and get exercising and have a life again.

Good luck to you. If you have more questions, keep posting. This forum is wonderful for keeping you motivated and well informed!

Froggie - That was a lot of good info for us newbies -- thanks. I thought those "slider" foods would be good - haven't met with the nutrionist yet so need some educatin' I guess. Right -- the surgery is a tool and it's not smart to ignore a tool that would let you get such an important job done. Congrats on your successes -- everytime I look a a "ticker" like yours, I get excited for surgery coming up in 6 weeks!

Bubbles - When you get that surgery date, let us know! And, if you find out any interesting info at your doc, please share it with me. I'm just a bit ahead of you in the process, but not much!

I had surgery on 8/13 and am doing I think really well. I have been pretty lucky about not feeling hungry. The first week of broth and Protein drinks (I just can't do Jello and bought 15 calorie popsicles instead) is just kind of boring. I never thought I would be so happy to eat Tomato soup! My doctor says you can have Decaf coffee, and reg coffee on occation. I think the reason is that the coffee sits in your mini stomach for a while and they are afraid of ulcers. I had thought I would drink a lot of ice coffee in my first week as a release from the broth bordom but I did'nt.

Oh and enough with the "Cheater" business. We're not taking about taxes, or business ethics, or driving 20 MPH over the speed limit. You are also not buying diet drugs not approved by the FDA. You are using a medical device to control a health problem. From the time of my first consult to surgery (8 months) I lost almost 60 pounds via diet and exercise. I don't call that cheating: I was preparing and for /living a life change.

How come no one calls a genetically thin person a cheater because they are biologically predisposed to being thin? No one makes them wear fat suits so they don't have an advantage.

Wannab - I'll definitely keep everyone updated! I'm very encouraged by this site and I can't imagine having any issues with my insurance company.

Thanks to EVERYONE for the replies.

As far as the "Cheater" business goes - I'm just taking the attitude of "we are friends no matter what my size" so basically HOW I lose the weight is my business, if they don't agree - that's really not my issue!

I just wanted to say good luck! I have been really inspired by a few bloggers on here like you and am really excited about being banded! But I am still in the beginning stages!

Hope everything goes well with you and looking forward to reading about your journey!

I'm totally gonna check out your blog!!

Thanks for the encouragement! The beginning stages are filled with nervousness!!

Here is my blog:

erinswiger.blogspot.com