Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just got banded...

I've had a horrible time of it since I got the surgery on the 11th. They also repaired a hernia.

It started with my doctor telling me to take some tylenol if I felt pain. I called a few hours after I got home asking if there was anything at all they could do, because I couldn't breathe it hurt so bad. Most movement left me trying not to cry because even that hurt. After some debate they finally called me back at noon the next day and gave me some painkillers. (Four days worth) The painkillers worked okay. I still couldn't drink anything thicker than the chocolate milk consistency Protein Drink I have. I can't do yogurt at all, and my medications for narcolepsy and allergies are almost intolerable. I have to swallow them and wait 15 minutes for the chest pain and discomfort to go away.

I had my follow up appointment on Tuesday and told him this and they prescribed me an anti-anxiety medication and told me it was all in my head! :thumbup:

Today's followup had them order an upper gi for tomorrow morning because apparently my esophagus didn't get the memo that it was all in my mind that this was happening and I still couldn't swallow. And he made a face when I gave the sarcastic line about my esophagus, but seriously, the moment he told me my pain was only anxiety he lost my respect completely.

I'm not in pain anymore unless I try to take a pill or have yogurt or anything like that or if like today I get cheer at someone and move my arms too fast and pull at the large scar a bit

I registered here because I've been searching through this site for ideas and trying to figure out stuff that's going on since my doctor's been less than helpful over this past week, and a lot of the advice here has helped me. Stories of people who made it through help when I'm sitting here with chest pain from taking cut up Tylenol.

My friends have also given interesting advice but not quite as helpful (Though I liked the one that told me to kick the doctor in the knees and tell him the pain was in his head.)

Anyway that's how I found my way here. Hi!

Welcome!

I'm sorry to hear about your pain and the unsympathetic surgeon. That is really crappy.

I was on Clear liquids for a week before I could advance to yogurt, so it *could* be that you just need to heal more.

In the meantime, at the very least, you should look around (or better yet have someone look for you) for liquid tylenol. That would be a lot easier to get down than cut up pills! I was able to get it at my local grocery store.

I hope you find some relief soon!

I am so-o-o sorry you're feeling such pain.

I was just banded yesterday (8-20-10) which also included hernia repair and I can honestly tell you that I'm feeling fine, aside from the soreness around my incision areas.

I didn't know what to expect because of having both and I'm convinced that I had the best doctor in the world to perform this surgery, Dr. Titus Duncan (Metro Atlanta). During Pre-op he provided prescriptions for liquid pain killer and nausea to keep regurgitation at a minimum.

Make sure you're sleeping on your back. Perhaps you need to give your body a little more time to heal.

I wish you well and will be praying for you !!!:lol:

I don't have much advice to add as I am not banded yet, however I keep reading that a lot of people have issues with gas pains. Especially after surgery. Is it possible for your to try the gas-x strips? See if that helps. Also don't try and eat yogurt if it causes pain. Stick with broth and Protein shakes.

Sorry you are miserable. Best of luck for the future though!

Yes, please go get liquid Tylenol and or pain pills. I know for a fact you can liquid pain pills I take it on a regular basis for chronic back aches for a non band related issue. I am so sorry you are in so much pain. I know this is going to sound wierd but I honestly think that the best thing I could advise you to do is to walk as much as possible and get in as much liquids. I would play around with the liquids..see if you did better with warm ones or cold ones and then stick with which ever felt best. As for the walking...When they did the surgery they put in a ton of gas in your stomach to blow it up..I think you are still full of gas and you need to release it. Walking helps so much, actually more than one would believe until you do it. If your surgeon will not order you the liquid pain meds call your primary doctor and explain the poor treatment that your surgeon gave you. I would request 10-14 days worth and see how you feel then. I hope this helps. Take care of yourself!

Thank you for all the responses! I've gotten the liquid Tylenol before but I have to shop around to find it (and it's insanely expensive!) and this doctor treated me like I was a pain killer addict when I asked for something. I'm good on crushed pills now but Friday was an adventure.

I used yogurt as an example as the drinkable yogurt I had was the same consistency as my Protein shakes they told me to take.

I have been walking as much as I can since the start but it was hard when I was so dizzy. I wasn't given pain or anti nausea medicines after my surgery, I was told to cut up a tylenol and have that.

So friday:

They found on the upper GI that my band is constricted to the point where anything thicker than Water has great great difficulty even getting through. Milk even isn't possible, which is why I couldn't drink the Protein Shakes they told me to drink.

I called them about it and they told me that the band comes slightly filled and they can remove some of that liquid. I can make an appointment, how's Tuesday. I asked her if I should check myself into the hospital since I can't eat. She suggested I try the bottled Isopure because it's very similar to Water.

Thankfully the people over at MDI called them and reported their findings immediately, so they had them on the other side making noises. The surgery center called me back and had me come in that day.

The Physicians Assistant removed 3cc from the band. I didn't think it was supposed to be filled in the first place?! :lol: (She said it comes a little filled.)

She missed the port and jammed a needle into the muscle the ports attached on though. It hurt so bad I screamed without sound even, because I couldn't take in a breath. I was crying very hard and she told my stepmother this happens sometimes and apologized to me.

So now I just have the pain of that. I can take my medications one pill at a time on the ones I can't cut up. I'm feeling a lot better than I have since I got this surgery. Night and day. Since I could "eat" and take my rather important medications, I felt up to walking around more and doing stuff.

I'm still supposed to go back on Tuesday.

Greetings,

This is my first post. I just got banded on 8-19-10 and have been taking it easy in bed and walking around as much as I can. My doctor was wonderful (Dr. Cirangle in SF). I had a quick and tidy surgery and was out 6 hours post-op. I was given liquid Vicoden and another pain medication that comes in tiny baby sized pills and it has really helped with the pain management. I sure do feel gassy though!

Were you given any protien Soup broth or protien thin drink mixes? I am getting 60 grams of protien a day and 60-70 oz. of Fluid. My doctor does not allow soft foods or yourt until the 3rd week so it is just protien drinks and broths for me right now but I am not hungry at all. I can't wait to see the weight come off!!!

When I had my surgery, they told me 1 in 10 had a "lower pain tolerance" than others. It could be true, but I was that "1" and I hurt! I was lucky to have gone to a doctor that was not the "in-n-out" variety. I stayed in the hospital 1 night where they finally woke up the dr at 3am and he prescribed morphine. The next day and night I stayed at the recovery house and still had strong pain meds. I also went home with a prescription. I got better after a couple weeks and didnt have issues again until 2 months ago when some acid reflux caused my esophagus to swell and I threw up alot.

Anywho, my advice is to be persistant with the dr's office because it is obviously not in your head. If they dont seem to be getting the point you may want to mention the word "lawyer", I have found that even as a bluff, it sure gets some attention. Invest in a pill crusher (yes it tastes gross, but it is not painful). I dissolved my pills in some diet grape coolaid and chugged. Just don't use too much liquid, or you may gag...

If you have any questions for me, feel free to contact me

Best of Luck,

Mary

Oh.... and according to my Dr and most people on here, you should not even have a slight fill until your body adjusts to the band. Your body naturally swells with the invasion of surgery and needs time to calm down. I couldnt get a fill until 6 weeks because if you do it too soon the band can slip. I am not lawyer happy, trust me, but that sounds wrong to me...

Wow, he told you to take tylenol one day post-op?? That's so bogus!! My patients who have less invasive surgery than lap-bands get sent home on much better stuff than that. (I'm a nurse).

That was one of my pre-op questions...."How will my pain be managed afterwards?"

I was banded on 8-18-10 and I had a hernia repair too. I had a one day overnight stay with a morphine PCA pump. I wasn't discharged until 9pm the next night and was sent home with prescriptions for tylenol with codeine and prilosec. I couldn't imagine getting through the pain without it. I know that feeling of breathing and hurting with every breath. That happened to me too the 2nd night when I went to sleep without pain meds.

Also, why did he have you "break up" tylenol immediately after surgery?? Maybe u should suggest he tell his patients to take elixirs and not pills!!

But I'm glad the doc found a medical reason for your discomfort and he knows it wasn't anxiety!

He sounds like he needs to attend some seminars on management of post-op bariatric patients. It might change his plan of care!

BTW, I agree with KPgrll... Most docs will not give any fill at all when the band is 1st applied. You have swelling from the foreign object and they wanna make sure that goes down 1st. Most people don't even need a fill and aren't hungry immediately post-op.

Wow, he told you to take tylenol one day post-op?? That's so bogus!! My patients who have less invasive surgery than lap-bands get sent home on much better stuff than that. (I'm a nurse).

That was one of my pre-op questions...."How will my pain be managed afterwards?"

I was banded on 8-18-10 and I had a hernia repair too. I had a one day overnight stay with a morphine PCA pump. I wasn't discharged until 9pm the next night and was sent home with prescriptions for tylenol with codeine and prilosec. I couldn't imagine getting through the pain without it. I know that feeling of breathing and hurting with every breath. That happened to me too the 2nd night when I went to sleep without pain meds.

Also, why did he have you "break up" tylenol immediately after surgery?? Maybe u should suggest he tell his patients to take elixirs and not pills!!

But I'm glad the doc found a medical reason for your discomfort and he knows it wasn't anxiety!

He sounds like he needs to attend some seminars on management of post-op bariatric patients. It might change his plan of care!

I'm just glad I'm NOT in pain now. I have a high pain tolerance. I'm not sure what would have happened if I didn't. It hurts if I move too fast or twist wrong. Right where the port is, but other than that I'm good to go.

I did take liquid tylenol for awhile. I'm perfectly fine with the crushed/cut up variety now.

I was shocked that they could take out 3cc of liquid because I read everywhere that it wasn't filled at first. I'd be more surprised if this wasn't how healthcare usually worked around here. With a huge dose of stupid.