Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What kind of Protein Shakes??????

Yesterday was my first day of my pre-op diet, it went ok. I did have to walk through the grocery store to get to the bank, and they were baking brownies or something....what a killer! They smelled so good! But I stayed strong!! Yay! :thumbup:Over all, with the Protein Shakes, I wasn't STARVING, but I did wake up in the middle of the night with a rumbly tummy. I just went back to sleep. Is anyone using the "Special K" Protein shakes for their pre-op diet? I'm not quite sure if I am allowed to drink any kind of Protein Shake or if I should be using the "medical" quality kind like Unjury or something. Does any one know??:smile2:

I am using Protein Blitz by Designer whey. It is 30 grams of Protein. I also tried Isopure which was 40 grams of protein and I bought the unjury mix also, but have not tried it. The two i have tried so far fill me up. I hope to be banded in September, but my dr's office told me i did not have to do a pre-op. They feel 4 weeks after surgery drinking Protein drinks is enough. I also tried Muscle Milk but that gave me gas pains. So just try different ones to see which ones you like the best.

good luck.

I use Isopure you can buy it at GNC it has about 40g of Protein and fills me up...but everyone is different you may wanna experiment with different kinds...

EAS low carb shakes are great. Walmart $4.22! Easy to pack for lunch, Snacks at work.

My favorite for taste, convenience, and price is Premier brand Protein Shakes from costco. In Southern California, Costco carries chocolate, and it doesn't have that extra-sweet artificial sweetner taste - just a good, creamy (not too thick or thin), chocolate taste. They come in a box of 18 cartons for $23.99. I am 1-1/2 years post-op, and I still drink one every morning for breakfast because I like the taste, and it is very satisfying with 30gms of Protein, 160 calories, 1 gram sugar and 3 grams fat. You can order both chocolate and vanilla online at the following link:

Premier Nutrition - Diet, organic, and low carb, Protein Bars, protein powders, protein supplements and health supplements

Good Luck!

I, sadly, dont have a choice on a pre-op diet and have to do Optifast. Every 2 hours. But so far so good. :smile2:

I had to do the Bariatric Advantage ones from the doctor. They taste pretty good compared to Atkins shakes. However, after 18 days on 'em, i'm SICK OF THEM and have bought some Isopure to try out :smile2:

For Ready to Drink the Premier at costco are pretty good. I like the Gold Standard whey isolate chocolate powder from Vitamin Shoppe. For Protein Powder look for 24-30 Grams Protein, Calories less than 140, Carbs less than 4. My Nut recommended whey Isolate protein which you can buy many places even grocery stores. I find Vitamin Shoppe to be cheaper than GNC and I liked Gold Standard more than the GNC brand.

Yesterday was my first day of the liquid pre op diet as well! I ended up getting the ready to drink "Oh Yeah" brand from my doctors' office. They're ok. I had tried the Bariatric Advantage and those taste better even if you have to mix those ones up. I did ok on the hunger thing up until the afternoon and then I started getting really hungry despite the shakes. I went to bed with a hunger headache and woke up with a hunger headache. My nutritionist told me that the goal is to get about 70 grams of Protein in per day, not much less and not much more. So, whatever Protein Drink you choose, just make sure that it totals up to 70grams of protein a day.

I also get to have 4 oz of cottage cheese twice a day and 4 oz of juice. I've opted to go with the fruit chillers that you freeze so that I feel like I'm actually "eating" something.

I guess part of my struggle is in my head. My initial pre op showed an elevation of white blood cells so I had to go on antibiotics and move my surgery date. I had my blood drawn yesterday to see if the white cells have gone done. I'll find out what the results are most likely tomorrow. So, if the white count is still elevated then I'll have to move my surgery AGAIN and see a hematologist. So I'm just hoping that I'm not going to be doing the liquid diet for a few days only to find out that I'm going to have to start all over again. I think once I find out that my white count is ok it will be mentally easier to deal with the hunger.

I'm half-way through my two-week pre-op diet. I've been drinking Atkins Advantage mocha latte shakes in the morning and then the EAS brand at lunch. I prefer the vanilla over the chocolate because the chocolate leaves a funky after taste. However, I will drink it if I have it.

I replaced my Breakfast with a shake. I use nectar chocolate Truffle by Syntrax. 100 cal/ 23 protein/0 carbs! I mix it with Almond milk and almost love it.... bought it at the Vitamine Store. No bad after taste!!! I am not on my 2 week pre op yet but decided to get started...so far great results!

Anyone tried any other flavors by Nectar? Would like to mix it up a bit...

I replaced my Breakfast with a shake. I use nectar chocolate Truffle by Syntrax. 100 cal/ 23 protein/0 carbs! I mix it with Almond milk and almost love it.... bought it at the Vitamine Store. No bad after taste!!! I am not on my 2 week pre op yet but decided to get started...so far great results!

Anyone tried any other flavors by nectar? Would like to mix it up a bit...

I am drinking the french vanilla and it is really good! I plan on going back to Vitamin shoppe this weekend to try another flavor.. I don't know if I want strawberry or try the fruit punch. The guy at the store told me the french vanilla and the pina colada where the most popular!

I am drinking the french vanilla and it is really good! I plan on going back to Vitamin shoppe this weekend to try another flavor.. I don't know if I want strawberry or try the fruit punch. The guy at the store told me the french vanilla and the pina colada where the most popular!

Thanks for the info; Pina Colada sounds sooooooooooooo good! Will try that one! And might get french vanilla as I will start to replace my regular lunch pretty soon....

I put Protein pwder in a blender with Water and frozen fruit some sweet and low. It's so good.

What a great idea, plain Protein powder mixed with your own flavor. I'm going to try this.