Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long was your journey from 1st Dr.'s visit to surgery?

Hi again all!

I have a question about how long the pre-op. process has taken most folks. My insurance has a $1,000 deductable so I am nervous that I will have to pay that twice, if I start right now and don't get surgery by 12/31/10, (which I doubt is possible anyway but I thought I'd ask, in case anyone was able to get the process set up more quickly than 6 months).

I have Blue Cross Blue Shield and the surgery will be covered 90%, if I use an in-network surgeon.

So, how long was your journey from first bariatric doctor's appointment to surgery?

Thanks, in advance!

Shannon

I know I don't fit the question, really, but here goes...I also have bcbs, but mine won't cover anything bariatric so I paid for everything myself.

I went to a seminar on sat. May 6th,2006, called mon. the 8th made an appt with the dr for that afternoon, went back wed the 10th for my pre-op stuff and had surgery fri May 12th 2006.

I have never regretted it!

good luck, Joanie :lol:)

I have BCBS. There's a 3-month supervision period. My wait from first visit to surgery was 6 months--the paperwork was submitted before the holidays, and surgery was scheduled for after (teachers were already scheduled for Christmas break).

All insurance depends on your particular plan. I have Empire Bc/Bs. My first consult was 12/28 I received my approval in about 2 weeks. I orginally had a surgery date for 3/10 but had to postpone for other health reasons. One thing to consider is most surgeons require you to lose a % of your body weight my doctor said 10%. So if the doctor is strick about the weight loss and you are a slow looser that could affect how soon your surgery happens. I would explain your insurance concerns and see if they can give you a estimate on how long it would before your surgery could take place.

I'm in the exact same shoes as you. I have a $2250 deductible and I also have a knee surgery scheduled this week. So I don't want to pay my deductible & co-pay max twice. I just attending my seminar this past saturday and called to schedule my first appointment with my WLS Doctor this morning. I'm in CA and have Blue Shield of California. In CA we don't have any mandatory 6-month supervised diet so I asked the scheduling nurse how long is the process between first doctors visit and the actual surgery because it's vital that I get this done by 12/31/10, she said that it will be 2-3 months. That would put me between Nov 15 and Dec 15.

First appointment was June 17, and surgery was August 2.

First appt was Jan 25th and I was banded August 4th. I could have been banded the middle of july but we were going on vacation and didnt want to be recovering from surgery while on vacation. I also had to do a 6 month doctor led diet.

First Dr. appt. was May11. Surgery scheduled for Aug.23. I have Magnacare for my primary and BCBS for hospital. My insurance didn"t require anything, except that is medically necessary. The Dr. required a psyc., stress test, upper GI and a nutritional consult.

I have cigna my first visit was feb 20th my paper work was sent in on july 19th i was aproved in three days but surgan is so booked my surgery is sept 3 :lol:

I also have BCBS and my first doctor visit with my PCP to get my referral was August 21, 2009, and my surgery date was January 4, 2010, so it was a little over 4 months. I did not have to do a supervised diet because BCBS of MI allows the 6 month diet to be waived if your BMI is over 40, and mine was.

I first spoke with my family doctor about this procedure on Aug 3, I had a consultation with the surgeon (over the phone becuase I have to travel out of province for the surgery) on Aug 5 and my surgery is scheduled for Aug 25. I should mention that I'm paying for this out of pocket (my manulife health insurance does not cover this procedure) so that may have significantly sped up the process.

Hello,

I started looking into it in January 2010. Scheduled my seminar for Feb 3, approved Aug 2 but don't have a surgery date yet due to the doctor.

When things are in my control, I'm patient but now that I am approved and we are going on 3 weeks and the doctor still won't give me a surgery date, I'm pissed.

That would be the one question for your doctor. When will they actually give you a surgery date, before insurance approval or after. Most here seem to have a surgery date at the latest on their approval date.

Good luck.

Cathy

I attended the seminar the end of May 2010...then underwent all my pre-op testing thru June and July. One thing that my insurance doesn't require is a 6 month med supervised diet. I guess I'm lucky in that area. My insurance called and approved today, and I have my pre-op appointment tomorrow. So all in all, about 3 months....its well worth it though!!!

I had my pcp appointment (to get my referral) November 25, had approval Feb 26, surgery March 15. I probably could have had surgery sooner, but I had problems finding a psychiatrist for my psych eval that would take my insurance (I have tricare), and that took six weeks.

I started mine on June 2, 2010, I have my Surgery This Friday August 20th... It could have been earlier if the nutrionist was more available for me... I didn't have to do a 6month diet but i did need to lose 2% of my body weight... which i am still working on because the surgeon never told me i had to do it... my dietician told me 2 months later.