Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

failure...were you worried??

In thinking, planning, talking...were you worried about failure? Worried that this too will not work for you?

I know this is a tool and I feel fairly confident that I can make the changes and use it to my benefit. But I still have the underlying worry that this too shall fail.

Almost nothing could talk me out of this procedure. I find myself thinking about it all the time. Not with worry about the actual surgery but with how I am going to look, and feel, and be after.

I am sure that most of you have had the same thought processes so I guess it is normal. But what got you through?

Man, is it fantastic to have this site for support.

Yes, this is a wonderful site. I miss all of the old timers that move on and don't post anymore.

Also, I am almost 2 years out and I still worry about being a failure, even though my trainer said it has been 17 weeks (a lifetime) that I have maintained my wt within 5 pounds.

Know that you are not alone, and best wishes.

Mimi

You must be reading my mind! I am three weeks post surgery and have nearly convinced myself my band has slipped and failure is yet again what I will face. I've talked to a friend of mine who had the surgery as well and she's trying to keep me off the ledge. I blogged yesterday about past failures, etc. And, I think that sometimes for us who battle the weight issues-the thought of success is sometimes scarier than failure simply because we haven't experienced lots of successes with weight loss...it's an unknown. I'm sure you will do fantastically! Good luck!

Mimilou~ You have been so successful! Congrats on the 17 weeks too! Did your weight go up at all during your two years post op? I mean a few lbs here and there but 10+? It does make a difference to have support from here I think!

BandNewMe~ Thanks for your vote of confidence! Do you think that because we are concerned with being successful it will help us to become successful? Always being aware?? I hope so. Best of luck to you! You'll be fine! Mind if I keep up with you a little to hear about your successes?

I was worried that this would be a $10K failed diet, but barring medical problems, you will get out of it what you put in. So if you eat right and exercise you will do well.

I think we all worry that this will not work for us. We have failed at every other weight control measure we have tried. It is a natural concern, and this is so drastic a measure.

You have to be ready to work with your band and make the changes needed to be successful. You have to make the choice to not eat slider foods, even when you might be having issues. You have to make the choice to find your sweet spot, it can take months, don't get frustrated and give up.

Barring complications, if you work with the band, it will work for you. It is a very powerful tool in the weight loss arsenal! Use it well.

i am wondering about my decision as well. I was banded on 7/13/2010 and have only lost 12 pounds. I read through the posts and see that others have lost twice as much in a month. I am doing everything right even waling 3 miles in the morn and 3 miles in the night. I feel that I should be further along.

I wish there was a big announcement on the front page of this web site that said:

"Bander's should expect to lose 1-2 pounds a week"

If you are 4 1/2 weeks out and have lost 12 pounds that is 2.66 pounds a week which means you are doing much better than average. Keep up the good work!

I was worried that this would be a $10K failed diet, but barring medical problems, you will get out of it what you put in. So if you eat right and exercise you will do well.

I feel the same way sometimes about paying $14,000 for something that will fail and cause me to feel even worse than I did when I've failed in the past. I just tell myself that I have to keep going the way I am, continue to exercise and, if I do have a day where I'm not as successful as I would like to be, get right back to what I need to do.

It helps me too to read posts from people who have succeeded and how they have continued to do well.

AJames, my wt has gone up by 12 or 15 pounds 4 times in the 2 years. The first time was post op banding til I started getting restriction and then 3 other times when I had to get unfills for a variety of reasons. I need a small unfill and am hoping I don't gain again.....my docs don't believe in .1 or .15 unfills and I dread going in.

Best wishes, Mimi

I read somewhere that you only fail when you give up.

AJames-yes-please follow/friend me and I will do the same. Looks like we are in similar phases of our journey. It will be nice to support each other. :)

I don't know when the fear of failure will go away, if ever. I am six months out and it still haunts me. BUT I am not failing. I am succeeding. I have yet to fully test the limits of my band but I know this is the best decision I have made in a long time. Life is so much better post band!

I'm nearly 6 months out and am still afraid of failure. I recently was cleaning out my spare room closet and found a box of clothes that I haven't worn in a while but mostly fit, or soon will. That made me realize that I have a bunch of "too big" clothes that also need to go. But I worry -- keep them or give them away? Last time I lost, I gave it all away and when I gained again I had to buy new fat-clothes (uggg).

A church near my house has posted outside a sign that says "Thoughts become things." Basically that what we think becomes our reality. That helped me to decide to give my too-big clothes away. I won't be needing them anymore!! MUST stay positive!

Lap band surgery failure is that you will will need to avoid sugary foods like candy as well as carbonated drinks (beer included), as they are of no nutritional value and truly destroy points your physique needs, for instance Vitamins.< /p>