Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated and feel like I'm on a "diet"!

Ok, so I thought one of the benefits of being banded is that you don't have to "diet" just make better food choice and work out and the "tool" will help.

I have 4cc's in a 10cc band and had an apointment last week. It's been 6 weeks since my last apointment, I've been walking/jogging at least 3 times a week (doing the C25k and taking my dogs out for more walks) and drinking 2-3 liters of Water a day...and I actually went up a pound! They wouldn't do a fill because they don't think it's how much I'm eating, it's what I'm eating. So they ask what I eat and I give them a worst day example and got a lecture about how bad it is.

Apparently a whole wheat wrap (100 cals, 13 carbs, 11 protein) with less than a serving of Peanut Butter and less than a quarter cup of Kashi go lean is a bad choice. IF I don't bring lunch with me, I either get broiled/grilled chichen fingers or egg/ham/lowfat cheese whole wheat wrap, again, not good.

For dinner we usually have chicken or fish - made without any kind of oil - surprisingly they were ok with this.

They want me to eat between 900 and 1000 calories - so now they want me to count all my calories and increase my working out to 4-5 times a week.

I'm upset, I feel like I'm on a diet - which then makes me want to eat EVERYTHING.

Any advice? Thoughts? Encouraging words?

I can certainly understand your frustration! I seem to hear more and more about doctors who use fills as a prize that you earn only if you've been "good." I don't understand this way of thinking. Didn't we all get banded because we have a hard time with dieting??? Then I hear stories about doctor's who won't do a fill because the patient has done "so well" without one! I certainly don't know all the specifics of your particular circumstances or how your surgeon's office goes about educating their patients, but I would be mad as hades if I didn't know this going in when I signed up with this surgeon:cursing:! If you were not told that this is how it was going to be with their practice, than I would make a very logical, rational and calm argument with the doctor about your frustration. At least get them to help you understand what the reason is behind their methods versus feeling like they are holding you hostage for fills :(.

I was only banded 7/21 and just started on food. I can only share what my doc suggested to stay on track and continue losing. Divide your meals into Protein, veggies and carbs. Start on the protein until you have finished and if still hungry, move on to the veggie and they said you would rarely make it to the carb if you stop when your full. Sounds good anyway.

I understand what your saying about the "diet" thing. I guess what we have to keep in mind is that this is only a tool and it will work if we use it properly.

I wish you luck and hope you find a balance to start losing again.

I don't lose weight if I eat less than 1,100 calories per day and am exercising. Your doctor sounds like a dud. Good ones don't fuss at you and try to make you feel guilty for making what appear to be healthy, protein-rich food choices.

Hate to say it, but we all are on a diet. We can't eat like we used to, not even close. I see it as a challenge that I'm going to win, and continue to win (unlike before, where I'd fall back into bad habits because of the hunger and feelings of deprivation). My health is not as good as it could be, and I need to make amends to my body.

If your doctor continues to not meet your reasonable expectations, then write a letter to him/her and copy his/her boss. I did that and they jumped to attention and actually implemented some of the changes that I suggested.

I won't be banded until late October at the earliest. I have a ways to go. I'm a fat woman who has a long road to getting better. And yes, I'm on a diet, but that's a necessary process.

I see nothing wrong with what you are eating. You shouldn't have to eat Protein then veg then carbs. Eating things seperately is not normal - most people eat things together.I got banded because I wanted to be normal!

I agree that being on a diet is hard. Making healthy choices is easier (even if it is the same thing). Maybe try what your Dr has suggested and see if it helps. I know lots of people swear by journalling.

Ok, so I thought one of the benefits of being banded is that you don't have to "diet" just make better food choice and work out and the "tool" will help.

They want me to eat between 900 and 1000 calories - so now they want me to count all my calories and increase my working out to 4-5 times a week.

I'm upset, I feel like I'm on a diet - which then makes me want to eat EVERYTHING.

Any advice? Thoughts? Encouraging words?

Yep, you might as well wrap your head around the idea that the band did not negate the need to diet. That one took me awhile. I'm at the point where I haven't figured out yet what good the band is since I lost (and kept off) 70 pounds without it.

900-1000 is too low but then combine that with the idea that they won't give you a fill cuz you're not losing...sounds like they haven't got a clue on either diet or purpose of the band.

Studies prove that women who eat 1200-1400 calories lose weight faster and more steadily than women who eat 1000 or less. I'd guess it's because (a) your body doesn't go into starvation mode and (:( you're less likely to cheat because you aren't 'starving'.

Eating like a normal person will probably work when we're maintaining our lost weight...and the band with its restriction will help keep us from stuffing down the food at a meal. Right now though, we still need to diet. Totally puzzles me though because if I eat the calories needed to maintain 140 pounds, then my 225 pound body should be losing weight...but it's not!

My doctor is among those who do recommend a pretty stringent postop eating plan---which seems really restrictive UNTIL you achieve restriction. Then, it seems like putting good, healthy choices into the limited space you have.

Really, everything changes when you have good restriction. You no longer feel deprived---you simply don't have room for extras.

It's too bad that your doctor didn't share his expectations with you before surgery--it sounds as though you're only now learning what he thinks of as "good" or "bad." I bet if you had the Peanut Butter wrap without the Kashi, his response would have been different.

But it's pretty typical for a doctor to recommend that you pare back on starchy carbs during the weight loss portion.

What disturbs me is that they are withholding fills. They should make the decision based on how YOU feel, in conjunction with your loss. Withholding fills in this circumstance seems punitive---and really contrary to the whole idea of banding, IMO.

Still, it's perfectly reasonable, now that you've established a pattern of regular exercise, for him to recommend upping it to the level that is recommended by most health-promoting agencies. (Really, it's recommended that we exercise 60 minutes, 6 days a week.)

And it's reasonable for him to make recommendations about dietary changes.

What's not reasonable is that he's not doing HIS part--helping you move toward restriction.

Well I, for one, think that's exactly how it should work. I don't diet. I work out and make the healthy choices (most of the time). I, like Elcee, just wanted to be normal. At my doctor's office when you come in for a fill, they always ask what you ate yesterday with the quantity. Then we look at my weight loss and the volume I'm eating and discuss whether I need a fill. This whole process needs to be a partnership between you and your doctor. It's not just about following orders. You are trying to be healthy and live your life.

Your food choices look fine to me. Upping the exercise will help. I think I would try what the doctor has suggested, but if you really feel you need a fill, I would be very vocal with the doctor at your next visit. I doubt that he will listen to you unless you have tried their suggestions. Fills aren't always the magic answer to everything, but restriction is important.

Good luck,

Cindy

Thank you everyone!!! Believe it or not, I feel a lot better now.

At the dr's office I asked if I could make an apt. in 3 weeks instead of 6 - if I change my eating and it's not helping. The dr was clear that I can NOT see her till 6 weeks, but I can come in and talk to the Nurtitionist in 3 if I want.

I wrote down everything I ate Sunday and Monday, and like I always do on a very restricted diet...ended up binging yesterday (tried to eat smart foods, but couldn't resist some bad ones). Turn out that after binging, I lost 2 lbs! It's so confusing! All I can think is that my body needed that to realize I'm not starving it. I also stopped excersizing after my Dr. apointment. I will get back into it, but right now I don't have the umph to do it.

My sister has weight watchers online, i was considering doing it for a while.

One of the main reasons I too got the band is so that I can be "normal" and pretty much eat what everyone else is eating, just less of it...this counting every calorie is killing me.

One of the main reasons I too got the band is so that I can be "normal" and pretty much eat what everyone else is eating, just less of it...this counting every calorie is killing me.

Exactly my opinion as well. And exactly how I am living. Down 100 lbs in 8 months, so something is working with that idea.

I hope you continue to stay positive with your attitude! Getting to restriction is what makes all the difference. Once you have restriction, I hope you can live this way as well!

Hang in there!

Amy

If this Doc is going to be a moron, next time you go in Lie thru your teeth! tell them anything they want to hear so they will give you a fill and get your restriction to where it belongs!

With the right restriction you should not be hungry for 3-4 hrs after eating and unless your eating a ton of high cal stuff you should not have to keep track of every calorie.

It is a tool to help with overeating, sure we are on a "diet" but of eating normal food, normally