Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not a miracle surgery...

Hello all, I am brand new to the discussion board, and wanted to join to get some inspiration/motivation.

I had the lap-band surgery a little over a year ago and was losing weight pretty regularly, until at about 35lbs lost. I had gotten a fill and everything was going great, I thought I had finally found my 'sweet spot.' Until one day I couldn't eat anything, and could hardly drink Water for 4 days. It began on a Thursday, where I was having some trouble getting food down, but as most of you know sometimes we have those days, so i ignored it and thought later that day it would get better, or even the next day. Friday came along and I had to work that day. At work I still wasn't keeping anything down, and this continued Saturday and Sunday. I realized I needed to get into the doctor ASAP to have him loosen my band. My doctor was out of town, so another doctor filled in and took 3CC's out of my band (I had about 5CC's in there). Well, this was a shock, because now I could practically eat like before I had the band. This caused me to gain weight, and didn't get back in for another fill for about a month or so. When I went back to get my fill my doctor seemed suprised that the other doctor took so much Fluid out of my band. He filled me up and I was good to go. We scheduled an appointment for 8 weeks later to check up and see how the fill was doing.

Well, long story short I still feel like I can eat whatever I want. He told me to call if I needed to come in sooner, but I thought with exercise I could keep off the pounds until I went back in for another fill (which is coming up on August 16th). I went on vacation and didnt eat well at all, but since I have been back home I have really tried to get with the program, but I feel like I have failed miserably. I have been trying to eat Healthy Choice meals, or just healthier in general, and exercise at least 3 times a week.

My progress is going in reverse, and I just wanted to share this with others who might have had a tough time trying to get your 'sweet spot' right. Currently I am only 12lbs lighter than I was when I had the surgery, and normally I am a happy-go-lucky person, but lately I have felt really down about this. I know I will be getting a fill soon, but I feel like I have disappointed myself and my doctor (even though he has NEVER made me feel bad about weight gain).

I am trying to find some people who may be having the same problems as me, and not total success stories (although those are great and very inspirational as well).

I have also thought about seeing a counseler for the psychological aspect of it all as well. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Can't wait to be part of more discussions :unsure:

Hi!

Wow, I can understand how frustrated you must feel!!

It is really hard not to focus on the weight gain. Just remember that during the time that you were gaining, the band was not doing its job when the doc took out the fill, so the tool that was supposed to help you lose weight was unavailable. Kinda like trying to take notes without a pen..Pretty hard to do :unsure:

Just focus on the fact that you did lose 35 pounds!!! So you know you can do it. When you go back in for your fill, hopefully things will be back on track and you will be good to go!!

Don't look back on time lost, just continue from where you left off!!

I am also going to see a counselor and it is really helpful. I have one that specializes in bariatric issues, so they have a really good understanding about this stuff.

We are all rooting for you, and for each other!! Good luck :tongue2:

keep plugging along....and let your Dr know this is emotionally not good for you right now.

yes its just a tool...

you have to want to keep loosing its so hard every day

being on a diet but thats just the way it is.....some days

bother us more than others!!

my surgery 12-14-8 lost 100 but have gained back 10

so back down again......

just keep exercising and eating right it will come off

good luck!!:unsure:

Something that I've realized with the band compared to all the other times I tried to lose weight is it goes in stages. Some months I'm super in-tune and lose well, other months it's a struggle. With the band you should eventually actually make that lifestyle change but it takes time, a long time to get it right. Like the others said, just keep plugging along and remember you will lose with the band. Good luck and hang in there, it's still so tough and I think at least for me, I was surprised at how hard it still is to lose the weight.

LapBeezy - I'm not sure why the fill-in doc took so much out either. But that's done and over. You sound like you need proper restriction to make your journey easier and that can be a very fine line. As of today I've reached my goal weight, but it took 4 1/2 months to get the last 10 lbs off. It took work and really watching what I ate more than ever before. I believe to have successful weight loss with the band, you do have to work with it - it will only do so much for you.

Some people like to feel alot of restriction in order to lose weight - but that is risky. It's a really fine line to find the amount that will allow you to eat almost everything (or everything), in less amount, be able to drink fluids adequately, not pb or slime, and still be able to lose weight or maintain. For me - .1 cc made the difference in the world when I got too tight. So 3 cc's is alot to take out all at once.

Please keep up your fill dates with your physician and try and find the spot that allows you to make proper food choices and lose consistently. Sometimes you may go for months and not lose any - or just a small amount, but try and keep a long range point of view that this is for the rest of your life. Whether you get there in 6 months or 2 years from now is not important. I think the time it takes to get the weight off allows you to adjust your thinking towards food in general and be able to get more control over your appetite and relationship with food. As you lose weight, exercise becomes easier and less of a burden. I'm not an athlete and never was and I never liked to exercise because I got hot and uncomfortable and was alot of effort along with pain. But it gets easier and less painful and I actually enjoy getting out and mixing my routine up a bit to keep it interesting.

It's pretty normal to have doubts and frustrations along the way. It will really help once you have proper restriction. A therapist, support group, an exercise buddy or mentor can really help give you that added umph to keep you focused.

It is hard, and it's full of ups and downs, but very rewarding. Please try and keep your spirits up and gradually teach yourself to eat better. Lean Cuisines are great for calorie control, but it is a processed food that can have alot of sodium and preservatives in it that aren't maybe the best choice. Don't get me wrong, I eat them occasionally myself when I don't have anything else in the house. I keep them on hand for emergencies and if I don't feel like making anything. But try and plan what you are going to eat in a day.

I never wrote down what I ate until 7 weeks ago when I became really focused on getting the rest of this weight off. I also weight myself daily in the morning and keep track of that also. 3 things to track - caloric intake, exercise and weight have helped me get here. I don't plan on doing this forever, but until I really get an idea of the amount of calories I can eat in a day and maintain my weight loss, or if I find myself gaining some weight back I can refocus on what helped me get here.

Good luck to you and I hope you are able to find your way thru this journey.

I understand, I have been baned 13 months and have not found my sweet spot yet. Hang in there, as it was stated before, this is a process, and not the same process for everyone. I still think the band was the best thing for me.

The Dr might have taken so much out because you were in danger of becoming dehydrated if you couldn't even keep Water down. After my first fill (3.5CC), I had to have a complete unfill a few days later because I couldn't even keep my saliva down.

I feel like I was kinda in the same boat. I lost 65 lbs easily and now for about a year I've been struggling. I'm pretty much at my sweet spot but I've plateaued. I gained back about 5lbs in a year now and I'm just getting back on track. I actually have lost a few lbs last week and this week too. I basically uped my workouts. I was only doing 3 times a week too. But if u jump to 5-6 a week u"ll see the difference. Try worling out more days. And also I bought the weight watchers books. I didn't join..they're anti wls. So I bout the points journal and food companion. I don't follow it to a T..I kinda just revise it and do the points. I've been doing better with allowing myself a certain number of points, writing everything down and seeing what I did at the end of the day or week. Also helps me to track my exercise. So yea I kno how u feel. Just try and focus and plan out ur eating. Add 1 or 2 more days and keep up with ur fills. I'm getting topped off on the 13th. Good luck. And message me if u need to vent or anything..

I was too tight for several months (and didn't realize it) and got so sick of sliming and PBing that I asked the doc to take me down to 6 cc (from 8). Now, if I want, I can eat anything and in quantity, just as I could pre-band.

However, I know that even at the sweet spot, it's still possible to not lose weight...or even gain because you can still eat junk and you can still 'graze' all day.

Thanks so much for all the replies. I have never taken part in a support group for the lap-band until now, so I think this will be helpful to track progress and share/hear everyones stories of their weightloss journies. It makes you feel like you aren't so alone! :) Thanks again! I will update after my next fill.