Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Becoming afraid of reading this site!!

Am I the only one who is becoming afraid of this site? It seems like every time I read new posts, they are about people having complications with their bands.

Don't get me wrong, I want the truth, but I am coming to the conclusion that my band is only going to be a temporary solution. I am TERRIFIED of gaining my weight back, and from what I'm reading here lately, it seems like it is only a matter of time before we all lose our bands.

Anyone else feel like I do???

Well if I do I will eat Lean Quisen's and vegatables for the rest of my life. I feel like if I can get it off I can keep it off.Look at all the people that have lost weight without the band.Not all put it back on.If you keep up the things that you have learned you could keep it off.I almost chickened out of my surgery(THURSDAY) because I was reading things that made me scared to even get the band. Why go threw this if it is not with me for life. Someone posted that this is a support group that people come to when they are having problems. We are not hearing from the thousands of HAPPY bansters.They do not need a support group, they are at goal and doing fine.My husbands ex and her sisters were banded years ago and they are is fine. I hear of alot of gastric bypass patients putting thier weight back on .

Yes, it is wearing me down... BUT !!! knowledge is good and you have to realize that these things don't happen to everyone (I know they can). There are millions I'm sure of happy bandsters so don't let it get to you, PRESS ON !!!

I know how discouraging it is to read about folks that are having band problems. But unfortunately there is a small percentage who do have problems and of course they need our support and they also help to make us aware of certain things we can do ourselves to avoid problems. It's true that you are not hearing from the majority of happy bandsters around, many might not even know about this board as they aren't looking, don't have computers, you know not everyone has one, and a myriad of other reasons may be why they don't all show up here.

But there are plenty who do, sadly, these last few weeks we have all read about several people all at once who have unfortunately lost their bands, through no fault of their own, but because of erosions. Erosions really are realtively minimal in the grand scheme of things, but we were all warned about the possiblity of that happening prior to surgery. Yet we still opted for the chance. Sometimes you win and sometimes you don't win you toss the dice, that's the reality. However, you don't hear about issues that are life threatening because of the band like malnutrion, death itself, dehydration and the list goes on. I personally believe it is the safest option, at least it was for me and I was banded almost 4 years ago. I lost over 130 lbs in less than 18 months, had head issues, got all of the fill removed and then ate my way back to where I had started. You cannot blame that on the band, I take full responsibility, I knew exactly what I was doing when I did it. Luckily I was able to resolve those head issues with professional help and came back to my senses. I went back in August of this year and had my first fill since I had had it all removed. To date I have lost over 70lbs! I have not had the first complication from my band and am so very grateful that I have it as it truly works with you, but not for you. In other words, you have to be willing to make the neccessary lifestyle changes if the weight loss is to ever become permanent. The band helps to teach you how to not make food the center of your life and Portion Control, big time. I can honestly say, that when the restriction losens up and I need a fill, that it sometimes takes a few weeks before I can get an appointment for a fill. What do I do during that time, I follow the same rules as when I have had full restriction. I continue to exercise and eat properly and as a result, continue to lose, not gain or even stand still. So I can say with the utmost confidence, that I am sure that once I have reached a point where I am comfortable with my weight, that I should absolutely be able to deal with and continue my new lifestyle and the way I think about food. That's not ever going to go away as long as I don't allow it, with or without the band. I pray that I never have to encounter that issue, but if the day comes, I am prepared, though I would like a little more time for this to truly stick. I have no reason to believe that I won't have that additional time as I said before, I have had zero problems with my band.

Read La Madam's posts, she had her band removed due to erosion on Monday. She has lost over 100lbs, and even those she is sad, she is also confident that she has learned how to eat properly and what it means to be at a really good weight for her. Make sure you realize that it doesn't have to mean the end of the world if you were to lose your band, but also remember the odds are with you that you won't.

Hope some of this helps.

Cindy

Pati,

I cant say that I do. The band has been good to me. Its not perfect. (Check out my recent turkey barfing episodes!) I dont really feel like the end is near or the sky is falling. I am 2 1/2 years out and doing fine. I am still fighting demons like everyone else is here. The band is not without complications but it was the right choice for me.

Babs in TX

334/180/170

I think you definately have to look at the high number of banded folks compared to the very, very small number of those with serious complications. I have no regrets.

Pati, do not be afraid. There are good and bad with every surgery. There are risks and complications with every surgery. We all know them going in. Some of us are less fortunate then others.I feel it is important to hear the good bad and the ugly, we all need to be aware .. yes I had erosion, yes I had bowel obstruction but I also have lost 106 lbs. Without my band it would of never happened. My band gave me my life back. Over the last 19 months I have learned many things and have changed my lifestyle in regards to how and what I eat. I hope and pray it stays with me now being bandless and I can manitain my weight loss. If I never lose another pound...I'm happy :) ....My band did it's job, no doubt about it!

I started reading this site prior to getting my band and felt the same way you do. I had too much information on the bad things. Yes, I needed to know but I think it got to be too much for me.

Someone told me that the reason we keep reading about only bad things is that the happy, thin banded people are out living life and having a great time. They don't need a support group. Made sense to me. I plan on sticking around once I reach goal to provide to support to others working towards it. I hope there will be a time when I can join the skinny, happy banded folks ut there in the world.

Do your research and look at all the angles, not just this one. Find your own truth and take everything with a grain of salt. It's like any 12 step program will tell you, "Take what you like and leave the rest."

You are all so right...... I agree that my band is a tool, that the benefits definately outweigh the risks. Given the chance to do this again, I'd still make the same choice, I love the way I feel and the way I look, even with the struggles I still face, I'm going to quit with the "what-ifs?"

I truly, truly appreciate your advice and imput, it means the world to me. THank you so much!!!

Pati-

You've lost FIFTY inches!?! Awesome! Do you think that you would have done that without the band? Have you made permenant lifestyle changes? Do you ever want to pull those clothes out again...or have you already burned them? With each reward comes risk. The actual amount of removed bands is less than 1-3%, according to the information I have from the hospital in Minnesota. And that's including older 1st generation bands which aren't as effective. The technology and quality of the equipment and procedure has exponentially improved in the past two years as the insurance companies have started to cover the procedure.

If you were a candidate for this surgery...than you know that your health before Band was a MUCH higher risk than any complications you've seen here. Obesity -related death is about ready to supercede heart/lung conditions, cancer....it if hasn't already surpassed it. The band does have risks....but FAR LESS than any bypass, and EVEN LESS THAN DOING NOTHING. You have a 100% chance of dying someday...this was meant to improve your chances of a longer, healthier life.

Here's the other truth....nobody has time to waste during this time of year. So the majority of notes posted are when stuff sucks and you need some support. NO NEWS IS GOOD NEWS!!!

Hey...in a way, it's like a bra! Of course I'm not one to wear one, but my wife would attest to the fact that the ugliest bras she owns are the best because they have the most support. So....maybe our posts look a little scary when we need the most support!!! Ok it's a strectch...but I've never used a bra analogy before!

Hang in there! Find the positive things that you've gained from this experience!

God Bless!

Jon

As someone taking the plunge this Friday, I would have to agree with everyone here. I wrote a message just like this last week. But once I got the wonderful responses, did more research, talked to the nurse at my Dr.'s office, I decided it would be ok. Just like Spydr said, those who are having no problems have better things to do that sit on their computer and lament.

Suggestion- if you want happy postings, post a happy posting. We can all use a cheerleader! When I saw the wonderful things that were said to me, I knew that all this stuff was just squeeky wheels.

God bless!

So does anyone know the actual percentages of slippages and erosions? I'm kind of feeling a little like Pati, getting a little scared of all this info...I really was under the impression (according to my doc & my research) that complications were soooo rare...

Life is all about chances. It's all a gamble, no matter what way you slice it. I took a chance and had tons of complications. I currently don't have a port, and I'm not sure if I can ever get one. I lost 70 pounds then gained 10, and now I'm struggling to lose again. Some days really sucked, other days really sucked a lot worse.

But it saved my life. I'd do it all over again. For me, it was worth the gamble.

I have had no problems thus far other than the barium puke incident which was just one bad day! Anyways, the band can have complication, but continuously gaining and losing weight or staying overweight can have life-threatning complications in the long run. The band isn't perfect, nothing is. Just weigh the good and bad and do what your inner voices tell you is right!

Pati-o Hello there is no perfect answer! out there for any one of Us Banded or not banded. Im not banded and have lost 114 pound's in now twevle month's I don't fight with my weight loss every day,However ,I think about if I go back to my old way's of eatting multiple plate's not caring about my health I'd blow up like a ballon again .

"but I, made a life style change of eatting right and wanting to be fit and healthy so "I" can live longer and play with my kidd's.

The band is only a tool to help you with weight loss! sure you can "EAT" around it by eatting to much not fallowing direction's but it is still the safest way to go by far!

"I' think if you let it work it is a powerful tool in weight loss and no major surgery!

weight loss to me is just a mind game,and you have to want to lose the weight.

what ever you do I wish you luck and much sucsess and hope thing work out for you.

this site is great, there are a bunch of caring people who help out people like me that are not banded! when it come's to being banded or any thing about the band you will only find the truth here! JOHNQ.