Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Becoming afraid of reading this site!!

Hi everyone!

I am sure my post on being unbanded has lead to some fears. I just posted this on my thread, but I wanted to add it here too.

I want to make it clear that I did NOT post this to scare anyone.... After everything, I do not regret being banded. In fact I feel very priviliged to have had the opportunity.

Right on the Inamed website it says that 25% of people banded end up having their bands removed. It's something that everyone should be aware of. I was aware of this before being banded, and it didn't stop me - so don't let it stop you, or scare you.... just be aware! I was sure when I was banded that it would be for life, that nothing would happen to me. And I was good with eating and following the rules... so you never know.

Everything has it's risks in life, you just have decide what is best for you. For some people it's the band, for some people it's gastric bypass, for some people it's weight watchers, for others it's nothing. All are OK if you are comfortable with your decision!

I would however advise people that want to get pregnant after being banded to wait 1-2 years. I actually read this recently on one of the 'doctor' websites. Lose your weight first, then get pregnant. The band was perfect for me - the problems only began after my pregnancy. It might be connected, and it might not be connected. We'll never know. One of life's mysteries. :D

I often heard that the band is not only banding your stomach, but also your head. I am certain there is a lot of truth to that. Today is my 4th day without the band. I have permission to eat everything. So far I am eating great. Small amounts of healthy foods and chewing very slowly. The cravings and desires to binge that I had before I was banded have not returned.

I might be naive as I just had the band removed.... but as I mentioned above, for the past 4.5 years, I just ate to live, I didn't live to eat. My eating habits and relationship with food has changed completely - there is no reason to think that I can't keep it this way, right?

Before I was banded I never was able to feel the wonders of healthy eating. Being with the band let me see how wonderful it feels to be filled up with healthy foods, not tons of sugars or carbs. I don't want to feel yucky again from eating the wrong way, so hopefully I won't. I have tasted the good life full of energy - I am certainly going to try my hardest not to let that go!

I promise I will keep you all updated on what happens over the next year, because as time goes on, more people will have to have their bands removed, I think that is inevitable. But maybe it won't be a bad thing. Who knows... we'll see.

So for those of you who are thinking of getting banded, my advise is that if you are comfortable with your decision after researching everything, GO FOR IT! If you are not sure, or don't feel it's right for you, then don't do it. Personally however, I would not deter anyone from getting the band.

For those of you that are banded, enjoy your band and be thankful everyday that it works good for you. And don't look back and have any regrets ever - have fun and look towards tomorrow with a smile. :) :)