Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for September 2010 Bandsters

I am so embarrassed to write this but is anyone experiencing loaded toots??? I have so much untrustworthy gas....surgery was thurs. I am still on liquids, and am not liking this....everyone seems to be constipated.....but not me!!!! help!!!:smile:

DON"T BE EMBARRASSED !

I did have a good amount of gas post op and did a lot of tooting... AND THEN after being on liquids I started getting the absolute WORST Diarrhea AND THEN to top it off I had about three ACCIDENTS where I thought I was tooting and pooted instead ! Gawd I was completely embarrassed! Of course now I am thinking wow I am using the word tooted and pooted - I am double embarrassed. Just kidding :).

Luckily I live alone and was pretty anti-social in those first 11 days. And considering that I took my first shower 4 days Post Op... I was glad to be anti-social. Boy I am discussing a lot about being gross and disgusting those first 2 weeks.

-Brian :thumbup:

Danide and Brian-

I think one of the challenges for me (us?) is going to be to NOT test the band to see if we can eat just like we used to. That's definitely not a challenge I want to win (sure, I could go get buffalo chicken tenders for lunch and see if I can still eat them, but why? what will that accomplish?). That's tough, but from what I've read, we have some toughing it out to do before we hit a restriction point with fills that keeps us full on less.

LisaA: good to hear from you!

Hi Lyla !

Actually my Surgeon adds a partial fill when he put in my REALIZE Band. I have felt Restriction a few times already. I have thrown up once and I have slimed about 6-9 times.

Tonight I went out to dinner w/ my special friend and I actually had a fish dinner. I am actually allowed some fish in my current diet / Mushy phase / semi-soft soft food phase. It came with a decent amount of food / salad / bread / etc... stuff in my previous life I would have gobbled up and consumed in less then 10 minutes. Instead I actually only ate the actual fish and gave all the rest to my dinner companion who is a very beautiful very shapely blonde. And after eating about 2/3 of the fish I felt restriction and it stopped me dead in my tracks. I was pretty amazed. I actually had to excuse myself to the bathroom where I started to slime and started spitting up a lot of saliva to lessen the feeling.

When I returned to the table I told her what had happened and how I know I will lose weight with the Band because I just ate about 1/6 of what I would normally eat. My Obesity Problem is that I am a serious Compulsive Overeater / Binger. I used to consume extremely VAST amounts of food. I was never really a junk food / sweets person but a Fast Food Junkie.

-Brian :smile:

POST OP GROCERY SHOPPING -- ANY HINTS?

I'm going to do my post-op grocery shopping tomorrow since my surgery is Wed.. What do I need to get?

Was there anything that was particularly helpful going down. I'll be on liquids for 7-10 days, then mushies. Is the liquid just Protein shakes and clear Soups, Jello, etc. or has anyone found anything better? What sits best?

Well, any help you can give me for the grocery list will be appreciated. Thanks!

Debbie

Hi Debbie !

I am not sure if there is a costco near you and or if you are a member ... BUT I highly recommend the PREMIER chocolate Protein shake ( 30g Protein, 1g Sugar, low fat, and only 11 Fl. Oz ). It sells 18 for about $24 and its pretty good IMHO. I also bought the EAS Myoplex Light chocolate shakes. They are pretty good too. STAY AWAY from the Atkins shakes... they were pretty gross and left a crappy taste in my mouth in my opinion.

ALSO BUY HIGHLY EXTREMELY RECOMMENDED : sugar free Popsickles. They are the most awesome thing you can have and I think I am now addicted. I personally choose the DREYERS NO SUGAR ADDED fruit BARS... about 25 cal / a pop. Awesome tasting IMHO. Popsickle brand and Crystal Light also make sugar free Popsickles too at around 15 calories a pop. Not as awesome as the Dreyers but good still.

MY DOCTOR also recommended a sports Gatorade type drink. He personally recommended the Gatorade G2 Low Calorie drink so I could rehydrate and make up immediately Post Op. After doing some research and looking at the store shelves... I have found Powerade ZERO which comes in all great flavors like Grape, Orange and strawberry. ZERO CALORIES and it rehydrates / has electrolytes. I recommend the Powerade ZERO over the low cal Gatorade.

And then you can have broth.

-Buy Gas X disolvable strips for Post Op Gas pain.

My Doctor does not recommend the Sugar Free Jellos in the first few weeks because he said it could go down like a big glob in your stomach. He didn't recommend them in the first few weeks. Your doctor might be different.

Edited by Brian-LA

Hi all - everyone seems to be doing sooo well!!! Today is 2 weeks anniversay post op - banded on 14 Sept. The official weigh in day I've made for myself is Tuesdays - same day as the op. So happy this morning as I have lost 14 lbs since pre-op weigh -in and 5 lbs this month. On puree diet (mushies starting today) Scrambled egg for Breakfast, banana and yoghurt snack so far - YUM. So nice after the 2 week liquid diet. Started at gym yesterday on a reclining bike for 25 min. Trying, trying, trying.... eating/drinking SLOWLY. I'm challenged not to wolf it down so using a small little teaspoon. Hope you're all faring well and that the port pain is lessening - wound healed but still sore inside!

DON"T BE EMBARRASSED !

I did have a good amount of gas post op and did a lot of tooting... AND THEN after being on liquids I started getting the absolute WORST Diarrhea AND THEN to top it off I had about three ACCIDENTS where I thought I was tooting and pooted instead ! Gawd I was completely embarrassed! Of course now I am thinking wow I am using the word tooted and pooted - I am double embarrassed. Just kidding :smile:.

Luckily I live alone and was pretty anti-social in those first 11 days. And considering that I took my first shower 4 days Post Op... I was glad to be anti-social. Boy I am discussing a lot about being gross and disgusting those first 2 weeks.

-Brian :)

We have to get over our embarrassment as this is just part of having a banding. Had the same experience as you did especially early days. Read that they inflate the stomach for easy location to place the band around. Consequently there is a lot of 'air' inside us that must be released. I'm trying to be matter of fact about it but my family is giggling so having a sense of humour about it helps. I explained to my family that this was just how it is at the mo - seems to have freed them up too so it's quite noisy in the home at the moment!!! A lot less gas as I've arrived at the end of my second week post banding. (banded 14 Sept).

knowing that my daily diet is yogurt, creamy carby Soup, mashed potatoes, cream of wheat, etc. is hard on my psyche. Anyone else dealing with that?

Stateofzen, You talk about crazy, This liquid diet is crazy. I'm have a time trying to get in the 64 ounces of liquid :smile:, yesterday I felt very bad, I think I was drinking to fast my body was saying do not put one more thing in my body. I felt bad. Last night was the second time I add bad gas after the surgery. I took 2 chewable gas X pills, and slept with a hot Water bottle on my tummy. This morning I felt better after going to the bathroom, if you understand what I'm saying.

Today is my surgery.

It's not until 2:00 PM, but I've been under the no food or drink since midnight last night. I'm not nervous, I just want it to be over as quickly as possible. I've been up since 7:00 cleaning carpets and doing laundry just to take my mind off of it, hoping the time will pass without much notice.

DAY AFTER SURGERY: WOW!!!! Im feeling pretty good. And honestly, the pain wasn't all the bad . The only thing really killing me is this cotton mouth. I can't drink anything until the results come back from the Upper GI.

It all happened so quick. They gave me some meds to calm my nerves before surgery and then they gave me the anesthesia through the IV, I was out in a flash. And I don't remember a thing!!!

After that they brought me to my room and I was super drowsy. Whenever I felt any discomfort I called the nurse for meds as soon as I started to feel it. (Don't wait until you're really feeling it because it takes about 30min for them to actually come in).

Right now I'm waiting for them to give me the OK to go home. Pretty good experience overall. Nothing to fear guys...:smile:

Wanna.b...we will be going in together..so to speak! I have to report at 6am. I am so excited to get this over with so i can heal then start my new life with the band!!

anyway, i will have you in my prayers and thoughts! :smile:

I am having a small mental battle with my post-op diet, not because I want more (yet!), but because I did really well low-carbing it pre-op and it is killing me to eat all of these carbs! Anything liquid or mushy tends to be full on carb and for some weird reason I feel like I'm cheating even though I am following my doctors recommended diet. That's crazy. I know I can't really do low carb again until I'm cleared to eat vegetables (and then lean meats), but knowing that my daily diet is yogurt, creamy carby Soup, mashed potatoes, cream of wheat, etc. is hard on my psyche. Anyone else dealing with that?QUOTE]

Stateofzen---I too am having some trouble with this. My nutritionist advised me that I should be eating low-carb for the rest of my life. With that in mind, I got in gear prior to my surgery. Now, it's all this carb-loaded liquids. Most of if makes me sick to think about it. I"m really struggling with this. As a result, I'm not eating (or drinking very much at all.) I can't differentiate if it's my head, my band, or gas or what.:smile: I just know once I get out of the liquids phase, I'll be much better. :)

DON"T BE EMBARRASSED !

I did have a good amount of gas post op and did a lot of tooting... AND THEN after being on liquids I started getting the absolute WORST Diarrhea AND THEN to top it off I had about three ACCIDENTS where I thought I was tooting and pooted instead ! Gawd I was completely embarrassed! Of course now I am thinking wow I am using the word tooted and pooted - I am double embarrassed. Just kidding :smile:.

-Brian :)

WOW I didn't see any entries about this before so I was afraid to say anything. I had an accident my first week, and it stained my commode seat! Lucky for me the kitties did not want to come in and see what was going on. Three days later I was so constipated I was getting worried, but I crushed up some Senikot and later that day I had relief. Right now, though, I have extreme hunger. I started on soft foods this week so maybe that will help to fill me up. pureed Soups did not fill me up. I am planning on egg beaters, cheese and mashed up banana right after my walk.

Thanks for your honesty.

Hi Lyla !

Actually my Surgeon adds a partial fill when he put in my REALIZE Band. I have felt Restriction a few times already. I have thrown up once and I have slimed about 6-9 times.

Tonight I went out to dinner w/ my special friend and I actually had a fish dinner. I am actually allowed some fish in my current diet / Mushy phase / semi-soft soft food phase. It came with a decent amount of food / salad / bread / etc... stuff in my previous life I would have gobbled up and consumed in less then 10 minutes. Instead I actually only ate the actual fish and gave all the rest to my dinner companion who is a very beautiful very shapely blonde. And after eating about 2/3 of the fish I felt restriction and it stopped me dead in my tracks. I was pretty amazed. I actually had to excuse myself to the bathroom where I started to slime and started spitting up a lot of saliva to lessen the feeling.

When I returned to the table I told her what had happened and how I know I will lose weight with the Band because I just ate about 1/6 of what I would normally eat. My Obesity Problem is that I am a serious Compulsive Overeater / Binger. I used to consume extremely VAST amounts of food. I was never really a junk food / sweets person but a Fast Food Junkie.

I actually have no idea what band I have or if I got a partial fill-- my first appt. post-op is a week from today and I'll ask then! I suspect I have the Realize band since my doc prefers it, although he does use the Lap Band too on a patient-dependent-basis.

Your dinner experience sounds perfect (except for the sliming)! I haven't experienced anything negative yet, but then again, I'm just starting mushies after full-liquids. I am not looking forward to my first stuck experience, that's for sure, but it seems like a learning opportunity.

I think my eating issues are twofold: 1) when I'm working I often used to skip Breakfast and lunch and then by mid-afternoon I'd be so starved that I would fast food scarf (followed by a carb crash nap, no kidding), and then have a big dinner too, and 2) we eat out a lot and I have issues with Portion Control. I don't really consider myself a binge-er in the traditional sense but maybe I'm fooling myself. So I think this band will help me- with portion control if nothing else. I'm still going to have to work on making good choices when we go out to eat. It looks like you did that Brian!

Kittykat- I'm so glad I'm not alone! I'm trying to reset my mind-- I'm not in a weight loss mode (I'm pretty sure I'm not getting ENOUGH calories to lose weight considering how little I'm eating), but a recovery mode. Loss will really start when I can go back to low carb.

I say that and I've still lost over 10 lbs since surgery. See, I'm crazy!

I hate that all of the detox I did will have to be redone though :smile: I'm picking as low-sugar foods as I can, but it's amazing how "too sweet" some things taste now!

ok i'm day after, feel quite good, of course i'm on pain meds. they have been great here, it's funny these women i meet from canada got banded and are now getting some dental work.

anyway feeling good and missing me family, glad to read all the stuff i have to llook forward to.

ey lillyegg, how are you doing now, is you pain lessening.

i was just checking in.

and Cathy CS with all those fills, are you in your sweet spot yet- you've been banded the longest an had 2 fills, what's it like - are you on you 'normal' sirt now-

one last thing, i swear i don't get money for pushing this book, but the instinct is great

recipes for everone- quick meals on the run, home cook meals, vegetarian or meat. the recipes are all clear on how much fat, carb and protien- plus she has tons of 1200 cal/ day meal plans and lots of substituting where she clearly lays out like a 300 cal meal and a 400 val meal etc. pre op we made some of the 300 cal meals instead a lean cuisine, they were great. it's my new joy of cooking