Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you answer this question?????

okay,

so im scheduled to see the dr.mckenna and the dietician at Clarian North for the first time on 7/28. Will he put me on a diet that day? my psych eval is 8/30. Will i be weighed every time i go to see the dr?

what happens if they put me on a diet and i loose 20+ pounds? will i get denied, or does insurance based their determination from the amount i weighed in at the first visit. Thanks!

***NOTHING tastes as good as THIN FEELS***

Typically when you see the dietitian they will put you on a diet to start your progress of losing weight and changing your eating habits and life style.

My doctor required me to lose about 40lbs before they would operate, mainly because you're healthier and it'll help with the surgery and recovery. I was weighed every visit.

I asked the same question of my doctor about losing weight before the surgery, if I'll get denied because I can apparently lose weight by diet and exercise, but he said that they don't care as long as your BMI meets the requirement and you have health issues due to the weight. Although this may be different depending on your Insurance.

It all depends on your doctor and your starting weight, as far as dieting goes.

I was not required to follow a diet during my pre-approval phase. I was told not to gain, and I was told that if I gained during my pre-op diet (2 weeks prior to surgery) that I would be canceled because it would prove I had cheated.

Every time I saw my surgeon I was weighed, but not when I saw the psychologist.

Your insurance company should have a percentage of body fat they want you to lose before surgery.. if not then do whatever feels right for you. The only thing to watch, like someone already said, is that you don't go below weight before surgery. I lost 100lbs leading up to surgery and I was still approved. I could only lose 2 more lbs before going under the 35% bmi required by my insurance company.

The best thing you can do is go to the nutrition appointments with an open mind, learn it, follow it, read your insurance requirements, and see what happens.

In my first consult with the nurse practioner I was told I needed to loose about 30 pounds before surgery. Keep in mind I had already lost 30 pounds on my own with exercise. When I met with the surgeon he felt around and said that he felt he could do the operation as I was. At that point I had lost about 25 pounds. Having read that people are put on a presurgery liquid diet I asked him if I was going to have to do one. He replied "Well if you want to do a liquid diet; here's the one I recommend." Well that wasn't exactly what I asked. Since the diet was kind of expensive and the dietician in the group was'nt that hip on it; and I was loosing weight on my own I did'nt do it. Two weeks later I met with him for what was supposed to be my last presurgery meeting and I had lost another 5 pounds and he asked if I had been on his diet. I said no and he was a bit irritated. I was a bit hurt because one of his collegues had said I did'nt need to do it.

Well I spent the $230 on two weeks of the diet expecting my surgery would be in two weeks. The liquid diet was giving me allergy like sensations and was just too low in calories. 500 calories a day and I did it for 5 days and did'nt loose any weight. Please keep in mind that I do an hour of moderate cardio a day. I went to the nurse practioner and she told me to stop the diet due to the reactions I was having. I have a meeting with the surgeon this week and wonder what he is going to say. I have been on a partial liquid diet with whey Protein Shakes low cal/fat/carb, high Protein. I have lost about 20 pounds since I last saw him. Not sure how this meeting will go.

In my first consult with the nurse practioner I was told I needed to loose about 30 pounds before surgery. Keep in mind I had already lost 30 pounds on my own with exercise. When I met with the surgeon he felt around and said that he felt he could do the operation as I was. At that point I had lost about 25 pounds. Having read that people are put on a presurgery liquid diet I asked him if I was going to have to do one. He replied "Well if you want to do a liquid diet; here's the one I recommend." Well that wasn't exactly what I asked. Since the diet was kind of expensive and the dietician in the group was'nt that hip on it; and I was loosing weight on my own I did'nt do it. Two weeks later I met with him for what was supposed to be my last presurgery meeting and I had lost another 5 pounds and he asked if I had been on his diet. I said no and he was a bit irritated. I was a bit hurt because one of his collegues had said I did'nt need to do it.

Well I spent the $230 on two weeks of the diet expecting my surgery would be in two weeks. The liquid diet was giving me allergy like sensations and was just too low in calories. 500 calories a day and I did it for 5 days and did'nt loose any weight. Please keep in mind that I do an hour of moderate cardio a day. I went to the nurse practioner and she told me to stop the diet due to the reactions I was having. I have a meeting with the surgeon this week and wonder what he is going to say. I have been on a partial liquid diet with whey Protein shakes low cal/fat/carb, high Protein. I have lost about 20 pounds since I last saw him. Not sure how this meeting will go.

I don't know all of the rules to pre-op dieting, but to my understanding the reason we are to do this is so that our livers shrink, which makes it easier for the surgeon to perform the surgery. My surgeon said 1000 calories a day, suggested liquids but said that the only reason they suggest that is because it provides the nutrients you need and you don't have to worry about putting together a balanced 1000 calorie diet day to day.

I hope your meeting goes well, but I was given short notice for my surgery date, I had 2 weeks notice, and I lost 20lbs on 1000 calories a day, with exercise only a few times a week. Perhaps that is something your nutritionist can help you work out. Definitely keep moving, but try not to get discouraged because you're still losing!

okay,

so im scheduled to see the dr.mckenna and the dietician at Clarian North for the first time on 7/28. Will he put me on a diet that day? my psych eval is 8/30. Will i be weighed every time i go to see the dr?

what happens if they put me on a diet and i loose 20+ pounds? will i get denied, or does insurance based their determination from the amount i weighed in at the first visit. Thanks!

***NOTHING tastes as good as THIN FEELS***

Not sure how our surgeon outlines his pre-op but plan on starting your diet now. Why wait, remember the band is not a quick fix, nor does it stop what you put in your mouth. I started my diet the day first day I went to my surgeon, he said I had to lose 15 pounds to have the surgery. (His requirement is that all of his patience lose weight pre-op). I have lost 50 pounds so far, my paperwork just went to the insurance for approval so I will find out in the next few weeks, if I have approval. But the point to this is start now, limit the calories and fat you eat so that once you have the band you won't crave these foods as much.

Good Luck

You should simply ask your surgeon's office. I am in the same boat. They said that they will weigh me during fevery visit, but the ONLY weight that will be submitted to my insurance company was my first weigh in. Remember, the surgeon wants your business, so they'll help you with what is needed.

My doctor and dietician weighed me everytime I entered their office. I was right on the edge so I had to gain 30 lbs during my 6 month eval with the dietician to make the requirements for the insurance company. All worked out and a month later I was approved but this was a battle. From the first doctor's appt to surgery date was 1 1/2 years. I was put on the pre-surgery diet 10 days before surgery and it wasn't hard at all because he allowed me to eat a small piece of chicken and a small helping of mashed potatoes or rice once a day, the rest of my meals were liquids. It wasn't that bad. Good luck to you.

Thanks everyone! Im soo ready to get this weight off!