Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hardly Any Restriction = No Motivation

OK, so, I was banded on December 9th, 2009. As of this morning, I've only lost about 40 pounds and that includes the 20 I lost on the pre-op liquid diet. I have a little restriction in the morning, some in the early afternoon and then by time evening rolls around, I have hardly any restriction and I find myself eating whatever, simply because I can. It's so irritating and I know that it's primarily my own fault. I need some help here. I'm really getting discouraged. I've had something like 4 fills so far and still no "sweet spot". Tomororrow, I go for another fill and they're going to have me swallow some barium and see how aggressively they can fill my band. I guess I'm reaching for some support here. I was SO gung ho when I went through the pre-surgery process, but, now I feel like a sinking ship and I'm gaining a few more pounds and it makes me feel even worse. Help!! I kind of feel like I'm majorly stuck right now......:thumbup:

I have been there-very recently. I went through the same thing last week. I was banded shortly after you, on 12/31/10. I did great-up until last week. I had a lot of stress going on, and began coping with it as I always had-eating. I had no restriction, and was eating a lot at night. I didnt' have any willpower to stop, and kept eating even though I wasnt hungry. Granted, it wasnt the sheer volume of food I used to eat, but still it was constant grazing, which makes it difficult to get back to healthy eating habits.

what i did to break the cycle was to get myself back to the gym FAST. I started going back to the gym after work, on my way home, so there wouldnt be excuses. having something to do kept me from coming home and snacking prior to dinner. This week, I have been back in the gym, coming home and preparing dinner and then after dinner, putting gum in my mouth and 'closing" the kitchen. Lights off, no reason to be in there. with these little tricks, I am back on track and ready to go again. I am not sure if this advice will help you, but I was really crying out for help last week. I understand the difficulty that you are having, and just remember, you had great willpower when you were on the pre op diet. You were working for either avoiding the open surgery(shrinking the liver with the pre op diet), or were just very motivated as the change in your life was just around the corner. Find something that drives you as it did then-whether it be exercise, a new pair of jeans, or take up a hobby that keeps you busy in the evening. Idle hands feed the mouth, it seems lol. I hope this helps, and hopefully at your appointment tomorrow they can give you either some tips or some idea on what is going on restriction wise, Keep us posted and good luck.

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I was banded in November and have only lost 30lbs. Right now my problems are: not enough restriction; grazing; sweet tooth; inconsistent food journaling and lack of motivation to exercise. All this = failure:frown:. I am trying to get back on track, but motivation is an issue because I think that deep down, I don't believe this is going to work for me either. I accidentally missed my last appointment, so I can't go in until the 30th. I am hoping I lose something between now and then or I am going to be super embarrassed when I go to the dr.!!!!!

Good Luck. Hang in there. Hope your dr. appt. went well.

Please don't give up!! I was in the exact same boat for the last several months. I was banded in January 2010. I have had very little restriction from the beginning but didn't worry too much as I have read this is common. I kept getting my fills and would get just a tad more restriction each time.

I know a few people who have been banded in the last year and see them doing so well with it. It was so discouraging to not be doing as well myself! I have not lost anything since the liquid diet pre-op. I am an avid weight watcher so I was trying, though not successful, obviously or I wouldn't have gotten banded!

Well, I was up to 8cc in my band and VERY worried that this was NOT going to work for me. I had a fill two weeks ago and WALLA!!!! I finally have restriction!! I now can't even finish 1/2 of a burger without the bun. One corn on the cob is VERY filling. I was always so jealous cause my friend would not be able to have a solid Breakfast in the morning as she was too restricted and I would wake up famished! Well, that is over too!!

Keep getting your fills and it will happen. I have lost 4 lbs already!! :thumbup:

See how this fill goes before you go nuts over it! Try to follow the post-fill eating plan as closely as you can, since your stomach will definitely swell and need some healing after being filled so much. Your sweet spot has to be there somewhere; they just have to find it! For now, try to exercise most days of the week. Also, just because you CAN eat a lot right now doesn't mean you SHOULD. Good luck; I hope this fill works out for you!

I am currently in the same situation and I feel like my ship is sinking fast... I was banded December 7th 2009, and I have lost about 8 pounds since then! I am up to 9cc's in an 11'cc band and I can still eat bread, have never had anything get "stuck", never slimed or PB'd or anything that lets me know I am in band land. I can not eat quite as much as I used to pre-band, but I can eat ALL the same foods. I had taken up walking 3 miles a day 3-4 times a week and I did this for a month thining that would give me a "boost" and when I went to the doctor last month - again - NOTHING. I don't have any motivation and I am starting to regret putting my body through this for it not to work. I have ugly scars in my stomach from this operation and only 8 pounds to show for it. I didn't tell many of my friends or family about having surgery, but those that I told didn't think I "needed" it and now that I'm six months out and still look the same, all I am getting is "I told you so's"... I did my research and I thought I was making the best choice for me to FINALLY get a hold of my weight gain and after being initally denied by my insurance, when my appeal got approved I was rejoicing!! I thought this was it and all the years of battling my bulge would soon be behind me as me and my band tackled the never ending world of food... NOT so much. I am torn between going for my appointment next week and just saying "to hell with it" and not going back at all anymore. The doctor has already told me that I am the only patient he has ever had that has had this much Fluid in their band and still not be fully restricted. ~sighs~ :thumbup:

HappyMe2009

Please don't give up. You made a decision to better your health. Now you just have to follow through. Restriction will come! Go to the doctor and get a fill, this one could be it.

Don't beat yourself up about the past- just move forward. You can do it!

Well, I feel better at least knowing that I'm not alone. They put in a full cc today and now I have about 6.5 ccs in a realize band. I feel like it's different. I've always been tight in the morning, but, it really loosened up during the day. I'm hoping that I'm much closer to my sweet spot. I actually FEEL full right now and it's a little after 9 and I've had a little under 1000 calories today. So, we'll see. I really appreciate the support! It is frustrating, but, I know that a lot of it is my fault in that I'm not eating right and I'm not exercising nearly enough..... But, I'm really trying to pull myself up and get back on track.

Dear Happy Me,

You Wrote: "I am up to 9cc's in an 11'cc band and I can still eat bread, have never had anything get "stuck", never slimed or PB'd or anything that lets me know I am in band land."

Though I've only been banded since April, I feel as though I'm walking in your footsteps. Even our numbers are close. I've lost only 12 pounds and I have 60 to go until I reach my goal weight. I think because we have under 100 pounds to lose, it's going to be a much slower process than some of the others with more to lose...at least that's what I keep telling myself. However, like you I haven't felt much restriction. I get discouraged so often. I have so many friends that are beautiful and thin. I feel like I'm the only one struggling to be at a healthy weight. I had ice cream while I was on my vacation. All my thin friends were eating and even though I know I can't do that, I wanted to be like them, beautiful and indulgent. At this point I'm just indulgent. Sigh! I thank everyone for their support and shared stories. I need to believe that this will happen for me too. I need to visualize on a daily basis that I'm shedding the excess weight ounce by ounce, pound by pound. I started today by walking my dog. He's a big dog too, so it takes extra effort to walk him. I hope next week will see a slightly slimmer me.

Oh and I heard that the Realize Band takes longer to produce that restricted feeling. Does anyone else know this to be true?