Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein powder that tastes good with water?

Going tomorrow to buy my Protein powder.Trying to choose between nectar and Matrix. Are either of these powders good mixed with both Water and milk? Don't really care for fruity flavors. Maybe the chocolate Truffle and Cappuccino by Nectar or the Cookies and Cream by Matrix. Any suggestions?

To me the chocolate Truffle was odd and the Cappucino tasted fake. I like the Cookies n cream best. Everybody has different tastes and you might end up pitching some before this is all done!!!! I was lucky and only ended up pitching about $75 worth.

Good luck,

Mimi

Here may be a good idea. I go to GNC for my Protein. Any time i have wories about taste I ask the guy who runnig the store if there are single serve pacs. Generally there are for about all the Proteins. They are rediculously expensive. 3 bucks or so. But I have thrown out Beverly proteins in the past, which is top notch stuff. (everyone else loves this brand, so I am in no way slamming them, however it was a taste to me that was not good at all.) Hope this may help.

I agree GNC has some good options either there brand or Isopure which is good... Even tho I am a big chocolate eater(or was) I have found that the vanilla is the best because you can do more with it, can make it chocolate or fruity or coffe or PB or Choco PV, or pumpkin pie or you name it many options!!!

My fav I have tried as of yet is 1or2 scoops vanilla Protein Powder, a little sugar free choco Syrup and some instant decafe coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hmmmmmmmmmm so good. I think i will make me one now. :sad:

If you go to the Syntrax website & call them,they will send 11 samples for $9.99 including shipping. I just told them I was a bariatric patient. That way you get to sample their flavors & Desserts. I love the lemonade!

The BEST I have tried (and also mixes great and tastes excellent with water) is Click. Its a mocha coffee flavor, is low in carbs and sugar, and has 15g of Protein per serving (and 1.5g of fat and only 120 calories). If you love St. Arbucks, you will LOVE Click! I add a little bit of SF Raspberry Syrup to it and it tastes soooo decadent!

I've tried quite a few different ones. I prefer the BSN products for their taste/mixability. They are fine in Water, although I usually mix with fat free milk.

When making a workout shake I prefer whey Protein isolate rather than the Protein concentrate products.

The supplement industry is a dog eat dog world - you have to do your homework to avoid wasting big dollars!

Brad

I like the Isopure ZeroCarb strawberry, chocolate and Vanilla. Another few that are good are Dymatize Nutrition Elite Gourmet Chocolate, Vanilla and Cookies & Cream. I've tried BSN Syntha6 and Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard; They are both good but higher in Carbs. All taste good, mix well in either Water, skim milk, soy milk or almond milk. Not trying to knock GNC, but they are quite a bit higher than most places you can find on the net. I buy my supplies from supplementwarehouse.com and bestpricenutrition.com. When I procrastinate I go to Nutrition Depot locally. Just my .02c..........

I did not like nectar at all...I use Syntha-6 vanilla ice cream flavor cuz it is so versatile...I use ice Water and the Protein sometimes i add Peanut Butter or coffee with liquid stevia or my bro drinks it with ice, water, a lil vanilla extract and stevia kinda like a vanilla milk shake...

FYI

Protein Drink Dangers: Study Finds Toxins in liquids, powders

By Marrecca Fiore Jun 1st 2010 12:54PM

Categories: Healthy Eating, News

protein-powder-shake240wy060110.jpgA new investigation from "Consumer Reports" finds that some ready-to-drink protein powders and liquids are contaminated with dangerous metals that pose health risks and can have toxic effects on the body's organs.

The investigation appears in the magazine's July issue and included the testing of 15 protein drinks, as well as a review of government documents and interviews with health and fitness experts, and consumers.

It found that most people already get enough protein and that even people who do not can find "far better and cheaper ways to add more if it's needed."

All 15 of the drinks tested by "Consumer Reports" had one or more the following contaminants: arsenic, cadmium, lead and mercury. If consumed in excess, these contaminants can have toxic effects on the body and its organs.

The Early Show on CBS took a hidden camera to health stores and not only were they not warned of health risks associated with the drinks, workers at the store also said that there was no harm in overuse of the products.

But Erin Palinski, a trainer and dietitian, told The Early Show that excessive protein intake can do more harm to the body than good.

Too much Protein in the diet can lead to dehydration, digestive problems, increased risk of osteoporosis and, for some people, kidney problems, The Early Show reports.

"What we're concerned with here is a chronic, low-level exposure to a heavy metal," Urvashi Rangan, of "Consumer Reports," told The Early Show. "And what people should know is that heavy metals, once they come into our body, tend to stay there for a long period of time."

Specifically, "Consumer Reports" found that EAS Myoplex Original Rich Dark chocolate and Muscle Milk chocolate and vanilla Crème can expose users to elevated levels of heavy metals when they consume three servings a day.

But a spokesman for the supplement industry told CBS that consumers should not find the magazine's investigation "alarming."

He added that, "the heavy metals that were found [in the protein drinks] are well below the limits the FDA would be concerned about, so they don't pose a health risk to consumers at all."

i have the Isopure dutch chocolate from Gnc......LOVE IT!!!! in fact i have my whole Dental office drinking it with me on the two week pre -op ...lol

50 grams of Protein and on sale this month at GNC for 38.99 for 3 lbs!!!

Edited by Beachbunny

I use GNC Soy Protein chocolate. It is just the right chocolate. For my preop diet, I drank it with Water then after surgery I switched to skim milk. It is good both ways but I wanted the extra boost of protein the skim milk gives. I tried several other kinds of Protein Drinks and they either did not give me enough protein for the calories I was consuming or they were too thick or chocolaty. I never thought I would like soy anything but I developed a whey protein allergy during preop and had to switch. It really is good.

Not to revive an old thread, but I'm starting my pre-op diet with nothing but Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Protein shakes and they're great with Water and skim milk.

120 calories w/ Water, or 200 calories w/ skim milk.

24g of Protein w/ water, or 32g grams of protein w/ skim milk (depending on who you believe for protein grams in 8 oz of skim).

1 gram of carbs per serving.

I have tasted the vanilla ice cream and rocky road and they're both pretty good.

Get it frmo Amazon it's fairly inexpensive at 50-60 cents per ounce.