Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

banded 5 days, no appetite....

I was banded on Tuesday 6/29, it's now Saturday 7/3 and I have no appetite to speak of. Over the past couple days I've had to force myself to drink a couple Protein Shakes and down a couple SF puddings just for the sake of digesting something. My head tells me it wants chicken or eggs or meat, but my body just doesn't crave anything. I'm not complaining, but is this normal? How long did it take for your appetite to kick in? I was 261 the day before surgery and 254.5 this morning. I feel pretty good except for the port incision is still kinda tender.

I know what u mean. I was banded 6/28 and now I'm having trouble determining if "I'm hungry or not" but then I think I could eat king crab, smoke sausage, potatoes and corn on the cob but can only get about 3 oz of cream of wheat and I feel like I actually ate all of the former. Do I want to eat...hell yes, can I nope!! But that's why I got this thing in the 1st place.

Sounds completely normal to me. Everyone starts to feel hungry at different times post-surgery. For me it took about 4 or 5 days. And I did the same as you, taking something in just so that I would be OK (and have a bit of energy) but I really focused on getting as much Water in as I could.

Once I did become hungry I couldn't finish 4 oz of cream of wheat or much of a Protein shake. Now at 3 weeks out, I still can't finish 4 oz of chicken or egg salad. It's too much food!

I was banded on 6/22 and still don't have much of an appetite! I am forcing my Protein down, just because I know it's important. But there is no way I could finish 4 oz. at a meal. I'm drinking a lot of Water and decaffeinated tea. Good luck!

I was banded on 6-23, i am still just drinking lots of Water and i takes me almost an hour to finish my protine drink. but i still have not really felt hungry, I am cooking for everyone but not my self- this past week i lost 9 lbs. this is why we did it!!! good luck to all of you!

I was banded on 6/29, I have been taking in a lot of fluids, drinking some Protein Water drinks, popsicles, and Jello. I just started feeling a bit hungry today but after a cup of broth or hot and sour Soup I feel ok. I am still on Clear Liquids until Tuesday, very boring diet but doing okay. Has anyone tried any protein powders that taste good? I was drinking EAS low carb shakes before but I will probably need to try a Protein Powder to makes smoothies and such. Any suggestions?:)

Enjoy this time! Start to train yourself to function without "needing" food. Focus on healing, making sure you get enough Protein. The weight will come off and you will feel great. I feel bad for the people who never have a moments peace, but for us lucky few who start with no appetite and can heal up a bit before needing a fill to be satisfied the experience is a blessing. Good Luck!

It will come back. I was not hungry for about 2 weeks. It was wonderful. I had lost 12 lbs in two weeks. Since then my appetite has come back. i have to watch myself and tell myself I am not hungry ...I am just eating. Sometimes I will be eating and I know I am full. That is when I have to get up and walk away. I also have to watch to make sure I do not just eat potatoes because they can go down. The body converts them into sugar. I have been good about not eating rice, Pasta, soda, and bread. I do not eat sweets too often more often that what I want.

At my two week post op visit when I told my doctor that I loved this because I was not hungry...he said....now remember I did not take your appetite away. There is no surgery for that. I simple gave you a tool. He also said that everyone has a loss of appetite after any surgery due to the medications they give you.

I weighed 278 the day before surger and I weight 261 today at five weeks post op. Not too bad but not as good as I want. I go for my first fill on Tuesday July 6 so hopefully I will start to eat less with more restriction.

banded 6/25 can start on soupy food, Had gritts and that did it I can eat anything thats in front of me. Ihave been bad I've been cheating - without it hurting me. I haven't had a fill yet. How is this going to hurt me.

I can totally relate. I was banded 6/28 and have yet to feel hungry. I am looking upon this as a total blessing. I am having a hard time getting down the 2 oz of Ensure four times a day that my surgeon has ordered for me and keeping up with the Fluid requirements. Never in my life have I been so UN-focused on food, and I am totally loving it while it lasts! :)

I was banded on June 30th and I don't have an appetite either. I'm nowhere near drinking what I'm supposed to. I'm struggling to drink my Protein Shakes and eating my yogurt. I really have no desire to eat at all. I'm hoping it will get better soon :thumbup:

This really is the best part of this message board. I was banded on July 2nd and have had no appetite since then. I had become extremely worried and then I come on here and see that the loss of appetite is normal right after surgery. Really eases my mind.