Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 days 14 hours & 23 minutes till my surgery, but who's counting right!

Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! I am so excited about the new journey I will be ennbracing, but at the same time I am so scared of the surgery!

Like honestly all of you that have already had the surgery & the ones that are in the process of it, did you, do you think of the what if's?

At times I get so scared that I will die in the surgery, it's a feeling that really makes me nervous, makes me really scared! At night when I am putting my kids to sleep I hug them & kiss them goodnight and it comes to my mind that I might not be here soon to keep on doing that !

I don't wanna get that feeling. I don't wanna be scared!

I am 292 lbs, but other than that I am healthy. No diabetes, no high blood pressure, no cholesteral no nothing. I know there some ppl that have the surgery and they have co mortalaties and they come out great from the surgery. So why do I get so scared when I know that I am a healthy person, a healthy morbably obeses person that is.

Please let me know if any of you went thru this before your surgery.

Is it normal???

Edited by CurvasPeligrosas
to many spaces

This is plenty normal. I felt it too and I let it get to me. I cried a few times before surgery, but in the end I knew it was the best way to go. You may be healthy now, but let's face it, being obese has proven to shorten life and cause a variety of health issues. I'd rather risk a pretty safe surgery then to continue to be overweight.

It's very, very very very uncommon to die from this surgery. Keep your head up and think positive. When your surgery day comes, you will be fine, and surgery will go smoothly. Thinking the negative will only make things worse.

10 days 14 hours & 23 minutes till my surgery, but who's counting right!

Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! I am so excited about the new journey I will be ennbracing, but at the same time I am so scared of the surgery!

Like honestly all of you that have already had the surgery & the ones that are in the process of it, did you, do you think of the what if's?

At times I get so scared that I will die in the surgery, it's a feeling that really makes me nervous, makes me really scared! At night when I am putting my kids to sleep I hug them & kiss them goodnight and it comes to my mind that I might not be here soon to keep on doing that !

I don't wanna get that feeling. I don't wanna be scared!

I am 292 lbs, but other than that I am healthy. No diabetes, no high blood pressure, no cholesteral no nothing. I know there some ppl that have the surgery and they have co mortalaties and they come out great from the surgery. So why do I get so scared when I know that I am a healthy person, a healthy morbably obeses person that is.

Please let me know if any of you went thru this before your surgery.

Is it normal???

Just the opposite. If you weren't feeling all of this, I would say you aren't normal. But you are very normal. It's major surgery. As with any surgery there are risks. To be honest with you I can't sit here and say that no one has died on the table due to complications, because I know there have been deaths. But what I can tell you is that the rate of success is proven to be higher then the rate of deaths and complications of the lapband.

I have only 1 regret since I have been banded. That is that I didn't get it done sooner. My doctor told me that they expect you to lose 50% of your body weight in the first year. I am already 75% down and only 8 months (100 lbs.) I have not weighed this much since 1987.

I can not be 100% forward with you and say you will be ok, because no one knows and I can't tell the furture. I can tell you that the surgery wasn't that bad and I have been through Open Heart Surgery on the bypass machine. So if I can make it through that, I'm sure you will be fine with the Lapband surgery.

I wish you much luck and please keep us posted.

I will be having my surgery on August 2nd and feel the same way you do. I am so scared. I am 235 with high blood pressure and sleep apnea. I know once I lose the weight these issues will go away and that is great but I hate thought of surgery.

Reading the posts have helped and most people who have had the surgery have felt the same way so it is normal what we are going through.

Keep us posted and I will be thinking positive thoughts for you in 10 days!

I was so scared too! I actually wrote out a pro/con list because I was having doubts, and when I wrote it out, it just made it so clear that I should go forward with the surgery. The risk of you having serious complications due to surgery is WAY less than the near-certainty that you are going to have health problems due to weight.

Also, the surgery was so much less of a big deal than I'd expected. I was really surprised, and . . 19 months later. . I can honestly tell you it's one of the very best things that I have ever done for myself. Hang in there! You will be fine! :scared2:

If you click on this link and scroll down to the 2nd post, you can read my pro/con list. It might be helpful to you to make one for yourself. I even took mine to the hospital with me, just in case I got the urge to chicken out!

Best wishes for your success,

Catherine

Edited by Catherine55
typo

Sounds like we are getting banded on the same day. I also have no medical conditions and weigh 310lbs. I think I'm mostly excited for my new life but on the other hand I'm having a really hard time sleeping so I guess deep down I'm nervous too. I'm just trying to stay really busy so time flies and this pre-op diet comes to an end.

Best of luck!

Lap band surgery can be lifesaving for many morbidly obese patients. Lap band surgery is safer than other forms of weight loss surgery. Gastric bypass surgery carries a mortality rate of 0.4 percent while vertical sleeve gastrectomy carries a mortality rate of 0.39 percent. Don't be Scared. Everything would be ok.

Cheers...

Thanks

This is my first time posting but all of you have been a great support. I have my surgery on July 1, I also have some fears! I am always afraid of being put to sleep but I worry will this work? I have been on the Protein Shake diet for two weeks and am starving (just wanna eat). I have only lost 4 lbs. so wonder if I will even loose once I have the band on. I think my metabolism has become flat line.

thanks for all the great information I have found on these boards it has been great. Good luck tomorrow to all the surgery patients.

This is my first time posting but all of you have been a great support. I have my surgery on July 1, I also have some fears! I am always afraid of being put to sleep but I worry will this work? I have been on the Protein shake diet for two weeks and am starving (just wanna eat). I have only lost 4 lbs. so wonder if I will even loose once I have the band on. I think my metabolism has become flat line.

thanks for all the great information I have found on these boards it has been great. Good luck tomorrow to all the surgery patients.

As others have said, the only ting I would change is that I would have done this at least a decade ago. I had a bad experience with an appendectomy that left me thinking elective surgery was for IDIOTS! I got over it and moved forward with this plan in February and have to say, the procedure was a non-issue. I have had rolled ankles and other sports related injuries that were far more impactful.

As for weight loss, the system does work. The band is an effective tool. If you have been diligently following your pre-op diet (mine was 2 shakes and one 'sensible' meal) you should be losing weight. Make sure you journal your food if you have any doubts and stay in contact with your physician.

Good luck!

Just wanna send hugs! All will go well! I have heard (and I don't know if it is true) that there is more chance of dying in a car accident than there is in surgery. I work in a OR and I have never seen or heard of a patient dying that wasn't a gun shot or car accident patient. They will want to give you Versed. Take it! It will help with the nerves and you won't remember much from taking it. Hugs some more!

Thank you all! I am glad I found this site, even though I do get scared and nervous about the surgery it really helps to read about all the people that are getting it done on a daily basis and come back to tell their story.

I am so ready for my new life! :ohmy: