Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do I need a fill....or what am I doing wrong

So I am 3.5 weeks post op. I have not lost a pound in 3 weeks. Actually I have put on 2 pounds. I have been eating pretty decent (high Protein and low carbs and fat), but just cannot get the weight off now. As an example today I had can of chili for ounch, 2 chicken breats for supper and half a cup of mashed potatoes. also had an ice coffee tonight with skim milk. I am keeping my calories under 1000 most days and I think once I went to 1300. I can eat almost anything I like now and it goes right down with little or no restriction. I do not need to chew my food that thorough either. I have a 14cc Lapband and at surgery they put 3cc's in it.

What do I do, I am so frustrated and to get a fill I need to fly 2 hours from home!!

The first month is a healing time. Your body went under some intense stuff!

Most of the weight lost in the pre-op phase is Fluid which is replaced what with your eating/drinking as normal as can be again.

It is not uncommon to become hungry after 2-3 weeks and not to feel like this is a failure.

What has your exercise been like? The first month is about healing and avoiding heavy work/exercise but that doesn't mean you can't be out walking, doing light cardio and stuff like that.

I got a puppy a month or so prior and the next day I was up taking him for his walk. :unsure:

I discussed at my 1 week post appointment about fills and my surgeon (although all are different in opinions) said he recommends to let yourself heal for the first month before attempting any top-ups. Which makes sense. Don't stress, it's early days hey?

Hmmmm eventually you will need a fill. I would say stay away from simple carbs like potatoes for now- if you are going to do carbs first do veggies and if still hungry have a whole grain. Also maybe increase exercise?

As a PP stated you are healing and during this time period you may be hungry. It is important that you measure your food and count calories. It may be many months before you have restriction so just try maintaining at this point. Hang in there! You can do this! Best wishes!

Hi, I was banded on May 21st, so I'm about where you are, this Friday will be four weeks. I've only lost 6 pounds, but I'm not stressing. I'm not at solids yet, still doing mushy food. Maybe you're eating more than you think. Two chicken breasts sounds like a lot, unless they were really small. Also are you drinking while eating Or not waiting until an hour or two after? because drinking will wash the food down and you'll feel hungry faster. From everything I've read, it seems like not everyone loses the first month, it also depends what you're bmi was. Mine was 35, a lower bmi won't lose as much as fast. Good luck.

It sounds like you are eating tooo much! My dr wants 2 oz of porotien/ 1-2 oz veg/fruit. about 4oz per meal. thats about a half cup of food total. then I am allowed 3 Snacks a day. Granted I am 4 weeks out today, I am trying to follow that closely, it is difficult. I think I am ready for my fill, even though I am still losing weight.

If I do not eat 2 chicken breats for supper, I will be starving at night and eat something else. I almost think that the Lapband AP they used (large size) was too big for me. I was originally told I would get the small, but ended up with the large. My understanding is they use the large with persons over a 50+ BMI...I was at a 42 on surgery day. I feel NO RESTRICTION at all!!

Have you been drinking Protein Shakes? they are very filling and if you make it with skim milk or soy milk you can get up to 25 grams of Protein.< /p>

I just want to chime in with a "hang in there!". Restriction will come. Until then, I would focus on eating the right foods (low carb, low fat, high protien). Your portions may be larger than they will be once you have restricion, but you probably won't gain. It took me 3 fills to have any sort of restriction. Best of luck!

If I do not eat 2 chicken breats for supper, I will be starving at night and eat something else.

Stop trying to justify your overeating and listen to some of the great advice you are getting. We are/were all in the same boat and are trying to help.

You stated hypothetically that you would be starving later. Have you tried it?

Weigh out 4 ounces of chicken breast; cut it very small; chew each bite at least 25 times and you'll be amazed at how filling it can be. The optical illusion created by using a smaller plate works as well. It tricks your brain into thinking you are eating more.

If you are hungry later, have a snack. A sugar free Jello pudding cup is only 60 calories and won't hurt.

I almost think that the LAP-BAND® AP they used (large size) was too big for me. I was originally told I would get the small, but ended up with the large. My understanding is they use the large with persons over a 50+ BMI...I was at a 42 on surgery day. I feel NO RESTRICTION at all!!

The size of the lapband has absolutely nothing to do with BMI. NOTHING! It depends only on the shape and size of your stomach.

plus you're not restricted, in the least. Once you hit restriction, you will laugh at two chicken breasts and a half a cup of potatoes. I can barely eat chicken breast unless it is shaved thin and moist or chew the heck of it. Thigh meat is a bit more tender. Chicken breast often gets stuck because it is dryer.

3cc is probably nothing in that size of a band. I have an 11cc Realize band and have 9cc in it and have very tight restriction.

And I am just now at that restriction five months out.

Try cutting down your carbs and eating more cals, but of healthy food! No mashed potatoes!! Did the chilli have the noodles in it, those are a no no too, also the meat is prolly ground beef and that is fatty.

Are you working out yet? That should help.

Edited by Nean4488

I am 6 months out and losing only 1 pound a week (total weight loss has been only 30 lbs). I have talked to all of my doctors and they don't seem to believe I am eating 800-1000 calories a day, cardio exercise 30 min per day. I am diabetic so few carbs, no sugar and my lab work is all good, but little weight loss. I have good restriction and no hunger. I am beginning to feel like I have the metabolism of a dead person. My lapband dactor had me on phentermine for 2 weeks. with only a loss of only 2 lbs per week. One of my doctors even suggested trying "RED BULL". HELP THEY ARE MAKING ME CRAZY.:)

I certainly do NOT think 2 chicken breasts and 1/2 cup of potatoes is overeating with NO restriction. I have been fighting to stay between 800-900 calories a day.

I have tried eating one piece of chicken and 3 hours later I am starving again and a cup of sugar free Jello does not cut it...so I usually go to bed!!

What I am saying is that if this is a tool and I paid all this money to have it put in, then it should help out. I feel no better off right now than before the surgery. Saying that, I did have my first episode of being "stuck" last night. It was with a piece of smoked salmon at supper. Must not have chewed it properly. There is some restriction, just not near enough in my opinion.

The issue I have with the size Lapband I received is that I was told that I was getting a small, and then I got the large because that is all the doctor had at the time of surgery!!

Edited by x96oun