Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just got my surgery approval today and am scared

I just got my approval from my insurance company today that they will pay for the surgery. I am excited and scared, as i am afraid i wont be able to control my eating and i will not be successful. I just started going to overeaters anonymous and they all think i shouldnt do the surgery, just stick with OA. so now i am having second thoughts that i should give OA more of a chance before I have such life changing surgery. I NEED SOME ADVICE!! any people who go to OA out there?

Edited by karens2cats
spelling mistake

You are not afraid, you are apprehensive but that is all semantics.

If you are a true overeater then your problems will be solved with the lapband. As long as you eat the "right" foods; the lapband will prevent you from overdoing it.

OA is useless. They are literally, the "biggest" bunch of hyprocrites I've ever met. They sit around justifying each others' problems. I never accomplished anything with them. They are the ones that are scared, they are scared you will be successful.

I saw a lot more support from weight-watchers but that still wasn't enough.

thanks for your reply. I really am impressed with your weight loss- it looks like it was successful for you. that is all I can hope for- and I will use all the tools that are supportive for me including lapbanders, OA and Weight Watchers. I do think I can get a lot out of OA and it might help me with issues- but the fact that almost everyone is so negative got me really nervous last night.

I just am worried that i will still be eating if i am bored/emotional and so the band wont work. i also worry about complications and the discipline involved and hope i can do it. i will need a LOT of support.

thanks again

Karen:thumbup:

My surgery is scheduled for June 7....I am also afraid of not being a success. This past month....I kid you not, I have not stopped eating. I have literally gained at least 10#. I don't know what is wrong with me!! I have been waiting a long time to be banded and I can't wait for Monday to come.

I believe it is the right decision for me. It is a great tool for anyone that is overweight. If it was up to me, in your situation....I would take this remarkable tool with me to OA. At least you will have something to control the overeating. Good luck on whatever you decide to do!! :biggrin:

Hi Karen,

I have been in OA for a long, long time. It really worked for me when I was younger, and it really changed how I looked at my relationship to food. I lost 120 pounds and kept 100 of it off for 7 years after I lost it (9 yrs total). Then I relapsed and gained it back over 3-4 years and have struggled ever since. I lost 60 pounds after coming back in 2004 but have since gained 30 back. I understand completely.

I am about 75% sure I am going to be banded. I have been through the initial consult and have the testing the week after next. I have lots of mixed feelings because I have been so successful in OA in the past, but I also feel the clock ticking (I'm 50) and right now I don't feel I have time to lose weight and gain it back again. I haven't been to my regular meetings in a while since starting on the lap-band® journey and don't think I would ever tell anyone. There is an online 12-step listserve for COEs who've had weight-loss surgery and that has been helpful to me.

I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in the whole being scared area. I'm having surgery on the 10th and am also having the same feelings/thoughts/worries that you are but I guess the only true way to know if we can do it or not is to just try. Really, what do we have to lose? other than weight of course....

Let me say first of all that I am a 100% proponent of the band - I'm thankful everyday that I went through with it and I have no regrets. Every time i look into the mirror I am shocked because I subconsciously still expect there to be a fat person looking back at me...

But... (there's always a but isn't there?) :(

The band will not eliminate your food demons... It may help you manage them - but manage them you still must!

The band can be manipulated and if you don't manage your demons it will be manipulated. For example, overeating Ice Cream is one of my serious demons. Before I was banded I would frequently sit down and eat more than a half-gallon of ice cream in a single evening. Did the band eliminate that? Nope... Not proud to admit it but it still happens from time to time :thumbup: I pick myself up, throw myself back up on the wagon and move forward. I'm not going share ways to cheat the band but there are many.

Losing fat is very hard work. Your fat loss plan of action needs a TOOLBOX but the band is only ONE TOOL. Don't expect it to part the Red Sea.

Be strong, work hard, and successful you will be!

Brad