Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When does PB/vomiting become bulemia?

When I've had Fluid added in the past, I've had a few days where I needed to um... "remove" the offending items from my stomach. Soft things included- like spaghettios or mashed potatoes. Granted, I'm making very poor choices, such as eating bread...

But I've made it a habit of eating the wrong things several times a day and then throwing them up when it causes pain (i.e. bread).

I only do it when in pain, but I seem to be giving a "devil may care" attitude to whatever I eat.

Regardless, the frequency with which I am making myself throw up is a little bit disturbing to me.

Any thoughts?

...and yes, I am concerned that my band will slip. But I'm not sure what that feels like, or what to look for.

I haven't been banded that long (1 month)-so I'm definitely no expert- but your behavior is worrisome to me. I think it's dangerous for your health (especially your teeth, esophagus) to be purging your 'bad' food like this. Could you talk to your doctor and possibly get a referral to a psychologist? ((I'm not sure how the healthcare system works in the US, I'm in Canada. ))

It seems to me that you are having problems reconciling the emotional hold that food has on you. Be careful, okay? You don't want to do permanent damage!

I to do the same thing when I feel stuck or really full. I cant stand the feeling I get when I have ate one bite to many and it feels like the food is setting there trying to decide up or down.

I have several times gone to throw up just to get the feeling to go away. I have to really force myself to stick it out and let the food go down on its own.

I have not brought it up to my DR. in fear he will want to unfill a little. But I am trying really hard not to keep doing this.

Just wanted to let you know you are not alone.

I have been doing the same thing but not on a daily basis.

Sometimes, I just have to get that last bite in and I know it will hurt but I do it anyways. Then I run to the bathroom or the backdoor and choke it up with a mouthful of slime.

What bothers me is that I know enough not to take that last bite or two and there is no real justification but I do it anyways.

You are not alone- I too have this same issue. One bite too many or bread will do it every time! I don't have any helpful suggestions but I wanted you to know I'm in the same boat with you!

News that Sharon Osbourn had her band emptied because it was triggering her bulimia, got me thinking about pbing and bulimia, too. I've suffered with compulsive overeating--zombie-like, mindless, insane eating. At one time I considered "refunding" as a way to deal with my overeating, though I never did it. But I have gone to OA and have met people who have struggled with bulimia for years. Anorexics, bulimics, and overeaters all share the same obsession with food. It's truly a mental torture and has nothing to do with actually nourishing one's body. Eating (or not eating for anorexics) is a distraction for dealing with life and the emotions of life. I think the difference between pbing and bulimia is the purpose being served by the vomitting. If you're vomitting because you are panicked that you've eaten something "bad" or because you're afraid that if you don't get rid of all that food you'll "get fat" then I think you've starting crossing over into bulimia. If you vomit because you're stuck or you've truly eaten more than your pouch can hold, then you are not making good choices--but I don't think you're bulimic. That doesn't make it ok to be throwing up all the time, but I think one is a physical need (pbing) and one is a mental/emotional need (bulimia). Pbing, though, should be a yellow light that makes us stop and ask ourselves "Why did that happen? What do I need to change? Smaller bites? Slower eating? Different food choices? Smaller portions?" Maybe when you're secretly happy that you can just pb that up if it doesn't work out, you've started down a slippery slope? I don't really know. Just some ideas I've had myself.

Purging the "bad foods" is very concerning. I am no expert, I think you should consult one. Hopefully you have insurance that covers mental health. Keep us posted on how your doing! As other posts indicated, you are surely not alone.

Doing this is dangerous, and you are sabotaging yourself. Do you want to make your band slip, or to gain even more weight, or to be unhealthy? If not, why do this?

I know that I have benefited a lot from talking issues out like this (self-sabotage, etc.) with a therapist, and I want to suggest that you give that a try if you aren't doing it already. It can be really helpful to understand why you are doing certain things when you are trying to break a bad cycle of behavior. The fact that you posted about this on here is already a really positive step in the right direction.

I hope that you find a way to stop doing this very soon.

Best wishes,

Catherine

PB and vomiting are PB and vomiting--they occur for other reasons than intentional purging of foods you want to be rid of.

When you make poor choices, then intentionally induce vomiting to purge your body of those choices, you cross into eating disorder territory.

Please seek help for this. This type of behavior is addictive, and can be very difficult to break once it's established. But with help, you can learn other ways to bolster your decision-making and eliminate the purging.

There is certainly a learning curve w/the band and most of us end up PBing or vomiting a bit as we learn what works and doesn't work w/our bands.

But, the normal learning process is that you get stuck on something, PB/vomit, then learn that you have to chew that item better or avoid it. It sounds like your learning process has been you get stuck on something, PB/vomit, oh that's a good way to negate a bad choice, I can eat this all I want and just PB/vomit it later. So, your learning process is going in the wrong direction.

I would seek help as others have suggested. Also, if this is primarily happening just after a fill, you might be better off staying on liquids for longer after a fill. My doctor recommends 72 hours on liquids so you don't get in a bad cycle of swelling, PBing, then more swelling which causes more PBing.

I have to say that I never had a bulimia issue but lately I do feel like I am having one and I know why. I am too tight and my doc told me last visit ' I live life too tight' and she said next month she is taking some out... and at the time I felt less restricted so let that month go w/o taking out. WELL I'm too restricted now and here is the cycle - I'm hungry I eat crap like icecream try to eat something else and purge. Def getting unfilled next time I see how being too tight can promote bad habits so just a thought to ensure that isn't part of the problem. I'm counting the days before going in (2 weeks) - i'm ok enough to not rush back but this isn't even productive.

Going to try the two days of liquid as well as I'm tired of this.

this is exactly what was happening to me..for like 4 months..but i was finally losing at least 2 lbs a week...i knew I was too tight..after throwing up every time i ate or drank i had the dr remove a little fluid..but it continued and It became my new "normal"..my husband and daughter were saying that it was forced bulemia...i was also coughing and started having bad reflux. I felt like crap but i was losing weight! and the throwing up made me feel so much better...ANYWAY, long story short..the throwing up and too tight band made my band slip and now I am recovering from my second surgery...NO FUN...now I have an empty band and am starting over...STOP NOW and talk to your Dr...it isnt worth it believe me...

this is exactly what was happening to me..for like 4 months..but i was finally losing at least 2 lbs a week...i knew I was too tight..after throwing up every time i ate or drank i had the dr remove a little Fluid..but it continued and It became my new "normal"..my husband and daughter were saying that it was forced bulemia...i was also coughing and started having bad reflux. I felt like crap but i was losing weight! and the throwing up made me feel so much better...ANYWAY, long story short..the throwing up and too tight band made my band slip and now I am recovering from my second surgery...NO FUN...now I have an empty band and am starting over...STOP NOW and talk to your Dr...it isnt worth it believe me...

Yea i never even waited those two weeks and went back in she took out .5 cc's and I was happily eating again. She wants me to stay on Zegerid for the heartburn. i just now after 2 months had .2 cc's put back in. too tight is not good i am sorry you went thru such complications :rolleyes:

Just went through similar problems of Pbing a lot after my fill two months ago. I put off calling my Dr because I figured I was doing something wrong, but even drinking caused discomfort. Eating was even worse and after two months and 13 pounds later I made that call. He released only .25 out of my band and it has made a big difference. I finally able to eat again without having to get it stuck. The only thing I'm having problems with is air and he says people banded can take in a lot of air. Your not alone and maybe you need to make sure your not too tight.