Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 27 years old and pre-op. I am very excited to get the surgery and even went out and bought a treadmill.

Last summer when I was working out I could go on the treadmill for 35 minutes at between 2.5 and 3 MPH. Tonight I went on the treadmill tonight for 5 minutes at 2.0 MPH and my ankles started SCREAMING in pain. I know that in order to be effective I have to walk for 20-30 minutes with an elevated heart rate. I gained weight since last summer so maybe thats why it's harder. I also think having the treadmill at home made it easier for me to give up after five minutes.

SO treadmill walkers--When you started how long did you walk and at what speed? Do you have suggestions for how to increase stamina?

For now I'm gonna get back on--try for at least 15 minutes--even if I have to stop in between. I will get there...

I have a tread mill and have went to the gym on and off for the last 10 years and I think 5 minutes at 2.0 is fine if you have not been doing it. Do that for a couple days then go to 6 min and so on until you hit 30 min at varing speeds. Remember to start out the first minute slower then gradually speed up to your peak speed hold it for a minute or two then slowly come back down.

Its what you can do with an honest effort that matters.

If its only 5 minutes then that's what you do. But perhaps you could do that a couple of times a day, gradually trying to build into a longer session.

What someone else can or cant do is really irrelevant - I mean, I started on my treadmill when I bought it, slow jogging at 4.5 mph for 40 minutes or so. I was starting from a way different base obviously. What matters though is the effort that's involved in it - the effort and work is what brings you results.

I started walking on the treadmill a year ago. My PCP said she wanted an hour of rigorous exercise a day, well there was no way! I could only do a few minutes at a low speed and no incline. But I would add just five minutes every few days, it was not long before I was getting that 60 mins in, walking fast and at an incline. So please don't give up! Just go slowly and build up your walking time bit by bit.

Stretch out your feet and ankles before you start and put some good up-beat music on. I also love to have a fan blowing close by.

I hated exercising when I started and now I can't miss a day!

I don't actually have a treadmill, I have an elliptical because my ankles and feet would hurt from walking. This seems much easier on the joints. and my feet don't fall asleep like they do when I walk. Maybe you could look into an elliptical. I got mine for around $300 including a 2 yr warranty from Walmart.< /p>

Being honest, you just need to do what you can with the walking. Even though walking is a little more high-impact than using the elliptical machine, your joints will actually get stronger. So, just do what you can and up your time maybe 5 minutes/week. :rolleyes: