Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded a week ago and no restriction

If you haven't looked at your paperwork/binder lately I highly recommend getting it back out. I learned somethings. I was concerned about no restriction and overeating and stretching my pouch. This is what I learned in my paperwork. My new pouch can hold about 1/2 cup or 3-4 ounces. It won't stretch because of one overeating. It happens over time. Just don't keep doing it. Most who overeat get sick and throw up. I learned that the diet I will have once I am on ALL foods is pretty hefty.

For instance:

Breakfast:

1-2 oz high quality Protein (like an egg, cottage cheese, 1 tbsp peanut butter)

1 serving of skinny bread, toasted

1 piece fresh fruit or 1/2 canned

1 tsp butter, oil or margarine as needed.

Lunch/Dinner:

2-3 oz meat, fish, poultry or conbinationa with low fat cheese

1 cup vegetable/salad or cup vegetable plus 1 small piece of fruit or 1/4 cup potato, rice, Pasta or bread

1-2 tsp butter, sauce, sour cream or oil as needed

Plus add 2 servings milk or yogurt.

I think any of that is a lot in one sitting so my eating the Breakfast casserole the other morning is no reason to beat myself up over. I can't imagine eating this much in day. Does the swelling go down that much?

I started with an empty band and therefore had hunger almost from the beginning. It was everything I could do to just maintain. I thought I would never get true restriction. Now that I do...it's heaven!!! I only eat less than a cup of food at any one sitting and I have little to no hunger...so be patient girls...your day will come. Just really watch what you put in your mouth. Eat a lot of high Protein foods that are low in fat, drink that Water (64 oz. or more a day) and measure your portions. Best wishes...

Wow, I must be weird. I had restriction for bout 3 weeks after surgery due to swelling, and as it started to subside, I was so happy to be able to actually eat again. It's now 6 weeks, and I am totally able to eat whatever I want, and am having second thoughts about getting my fill tomorrow - hahaha!

I'm hoping that I am able to be satisfied with the smaller portions that the fill will cause my stomach to take in. I fill so fickled about this whole thing sometimes.

In the beginning I actually felt okay sitting at a table watching everyone else eat because I was so full. I'm hoping to experience that again, because I don't think I really missed food, until the swelling really started to subside.

Ravyn... you are not alone I had a lot of post op restriction with an empty band. I am almost a month post op and I still have some. Before surgery I could EAT!!! Now I get full fast. Granted I can eat more than two weeks ago but it is still not nearly as much as I used to be able to eat. What I think has been helping my hunger is that I am eating a mostly Protein diet. It definitely fills me longer. I have also made a point of not eating Pasta, bread and rice. The one time I ate some pastina (on my docs diet) it made my heart pound from the rapid rise in blood sugar that pasta causes and that was enough for me to say "never again"-- at least for the time being.

Ravyn... you are not alone I had a lot of post op restriction with an empty band. I am almost a month post op and I still have some. Before surgery I could EAT!!! Now I get full fast. Granted I can eat more than two weeks ago but it is still not nearly as much as I used to be able to eat. What I think has been helping my hunger is that I am eating a mostly Protein diet. It definitely fills me longer. I have also made a point of not eating Pasta, bread and rice. The one time I ate some pastina (on my docs diet) it made my heart pound from the rapid rise in blood sugar that Pasta causes and that was enough for me to say "never again"-- at least for the time being.

I guess I should eat more Protein but I am running out of ideas. I don't like fish at all. I have been eating eggs, eggs beaters, chicken salad, ham salad, cottage cheese, refried Beans. I don't know what else to add for protein. I can only eat so much of it. After several days it gets old. I can officially add baked chicken/turkey this week but I have already been adding well chopped meats and have had no problems. I have been craving vegetables so I have had broccoli casserole and green Beans. I ate some chili last night at bingo and man it was good. I took my time and chewed the meat really well. I ate probably 1/2 c if that. It was delicious. It's the change of pace that I think I loved.

Wow, I must be weird. I had restriction for bout 3 weeks after surgery due to swelling, and as it started to subside, I was so happy to be able to actually eat again. It's now 6 weeks, and I am totally able to eat whatever I want, and am having second thoughts about getting my fill tomorrow - hahaha!

I hope your joking about that fill because that's why you got banded; to get to the point where you can get fills and reach true restriction. Best wishes...

I was banded a week ago and I have lots of restriction still. Its prolly from swelling but as long as im losing weight, ill ride it out :-)

I guess I should eat more Protein but I am running out of ideas. I don't like fish at all. I have been eating eggs, eggs beaters, chicken salad, ham salad, cottage cheese, refried Beans.

The food mentioned above is my main diet. I do eat salads with meat on top and I would also add Greek style yogurt with honey dribbled on top. But I've just succumbed to the fact that this is my diet. I do change up dinner with chicken, fish, steak, and always a baked yam. Best wishes!

Since being banded back in December, about 80 percent of my weight loss thus far has been without real restriction. It makes it that much more important to make smart food choices and increase activity levels until you find good restriction. I've copied the link to a nice website that offers great meal ideas for various post-op stages. BariatricEating.com Health & Nutrition - Bariatric recipes But now that you are so newly banded, take it easy and focus on healing. The battle for restriction takes many different forms w/everyone. I had a fill on Thursday and asked for a little extra juice and now I regret it. As frustrating as it is to be too loose, too tight can be down right painful.

Best,

Lauren

I know exactly what you mean, I have been living off of mash potatoes, cream Soups, and it can't be good for me. I feel like I'm eating too much while I'm waiting for my first fill. Starting tomorrow, I'm really going to make an effort to watch what I'm eating, I don't want to sabotage myself!!

Well, my first fill fear is over. I had it this morning, and I have no restriction - again! My journey is going to be a slow one. Im always hungry and have gained back 3 of the 12 pounds that I initially lost. I drink Atkins or Ensure in the morning, then I'm starving by the time lunch comes around. I try to find something decent to eat, but mostly I get Soup. Then I'm starving by the time I get home, so I have another Protein shake (atkins) when I get in and then I eat something like tuna salad, or yogurt, or cottage cheese. I think my body is in stavation mode and is fighting to store the fat!

Anyway, my doctor is very conservative with the Fluid. He's going to make me fight my way to 130 pounds. Sigh!

Maybe in two months when I get my 2nd fill, I'll have some restriction.

*I'm tired of being hungry all the time*

By the way I do find this very helpful. I just need to have more will power I suppose.

Thanks for all your responses!

I am 4 days post-op. Although I have healed really quickly (no more pain, walking slowly on treadmill, feel like 'myself' again), I must have some swelling inside because I have to eat super slowly and am still only eating about 1/2 cup of food at any time. I did progress off the clear diet a little and have added frozen banana to my Protein shakes. I'm having trouble getting 3 shakes a day in so am trying to do two shakes with at least 30 gms of Protein. I still didn't finish yesterdays. This morning I used the blender to make a few hard boiled eggs, a piece of chicken breast and some blue cheese dressing into a paste that I dip into with a small spoon occasionally. It seems to take the edge off all the clears/liquids. No ill effects. Everything taken slowly and in very small bites.

Yesterday's morning shake and dixie cup of sugar-free Jello took me about 3 hours to get down completely.

A little scare this morning, felt very nauseated and sweaty and had a hard time getting Water down. Put my head down for a nap and 2 hours later felt much better and have started sipping Water again. Think I might need to pay closer attention to seriously getting all my water down and presume I might have been dehydrated.

Anyway, I would definitely consider myself to feel 'restricted' at this time. No Bandster hell yet for me, thank goodness.

Well, my first fill fear is over. I had it this morning, and I have no restriction - again! My journey is going to be a slow one. Im always hungry and have gained back 3 of the 12 pounds that I initially lost. I drink Atkins or Ensure in the morning, then I'm starving by the time lunch comes around. I try to find something decent to eat, but mostly I get Soup. Then I'm starving by the time I get home, so I have another Protein shake (atkins) when I get in and then I eat something like tuna salad, or yogurt, or cottage cheese. I think my body is in stavation mode and is fighting to store the fat!

Anyway, my doctor is very conservative with the Fluid. He's going to make me fight my way to 130 pounds. Sigh!

Maybe in two months when I get my 2nd fill, I'll have some restriction.

*I'm tired of being hungry all the time*

I think the Ensure and Atkins shakes have a lot of calories and found that they didn't fill me up at all.