Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded a week ago and no restriction

I was banded a week ago on May 12th. Today I feel no restriction whatsoever and downed quite a bit at Breakfast this morning. Way more than I should be able to and barely felt full. Is this normal? Anyone else have this problem just one week out?

I am not on full liquids anylonger. I am able to add foods like eggs, potatoes, vegetables etc. Today I made a "casserole". Hashbrowns, egg beaters, pureed turkey sausage and a laughing cow cheese wedge. The batch I made was intended to be 2 servings at least and I ate almost all of it and wasn't stuffed. I am SOOO concerned over that. It made about a cup of food. I don't feel sick or stuffed or anything.

Hey there!

I'm feeling the same way. I was banded on May 14th and can drink an 11oz shake without feeling restriction. From what I've read, it seems some surgeons don't fill the band or only partially fill the band at the time of surgery. People generally go in for a fill 4 to 6 weeks after surgery and then can really feel the restriction. I know I definitely can't eat as much as I could before surgery, but I'm hoping that I'll get more restriction in the months to come with a fill. Hope this helps.

Thanks! I am trying really hard not to compare myself to others when it comes to the weight loss but that is human nature. Every doctor is sooo different that there is no real "norm" out there. Since I am on foods sooner I am not going to lose weight as fast which I know deep down is a good thing but 7.2 in week and now I can eat nearly a cup of what I consider heavy foods is a little concerning. I go June 10th for my post op. I hope they do a fill that day.

Hey Angie, I'm in the same boat!! I had my surgery May 10th and have no restriction whatsoever. I know that I've read that we're in "bandster hell" where we're only limited by ourselves and not the band yet. I go in for my first fill on June 8th and am hoping and praying that I don't gain anything between now and then!!! Although from what I've heard, we still won't get good restriction until the 3-4 fill...ugh!!!

So here we are...newly band and left to our own willpower!! And I don't know about you but, if I had any willpower, I wouldn't have needed the band!!!

Hang in there, let's just all support each other through "hell" and rejoice when we're on the other side.

BTW, your Breakfast sounds YUMMY!!!!

Hello Ladies:

YOU :) will not have any restriction till after your first fill. Right now concentrate on healing, if you eat more then ok, don't feel bad, just make sure the choices you are making are healthy ones. Heal Heal Heal then after week 6 and your first fill then begin to look for restriction!.

I'm 6 weeks post op and had to survive on my own will power until yesterday when I got my 1st fill. My surgeon doesn't put any fill in until 6 weeks post op. Today is my first day with the fill and I don't feel much different yet, other than the gurgling sound of the Water & food going down a little slower.

My nutrionist warned me that if I ate too much, even if I didn't feel full, I could stretch the new pouch and that would defeat the purpose of the band. I think you just have to use your own willpower and focus on the long term - it will get easier and it will pay off down the road.....until then - welcome to what I've heard is called bandster hell......

I must say though, that the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein shakes have saved me.....they are very filling and do not have any sugar and barely any carbs and they are very good. My doctor recommended them. They can only be purchased online at unjury.com. I add stuff to them, like to the chocolate - I add a drop of peppermint extract and ice (tastes like a thin mint girl scout cookie) and to the vanilla shake, I add almond extract and ice - that's also very good. I blend them in the magic bullet (which I love) - or they can be blended in a blender. They are great!!!

Best of luck to you on your journey!!

sslouha is right.i got my restriction after my third fill,an my very first fill after my two weeks post-op.the following month.

I'm in the same boat. I can eat anything I want. It's just sheer willpower that I'm going on now trying to not eat. I'm hungry every two hours. I get my first fill on Wednesday May 26. I hope that helps. I'm starting to get the 'bandster hell' idea.

Banded May 3, 2010

weight.png

It's typical not to have restriction at your stage postop. Immediately postop, there's a bit of swelling that gives temporary restriction; but when that recedes, you do, indeed, find that the upper portion of your stomach empties far more rapidly than you'd like--and you get hungry.

If you want to lose weight before you achieve restriction, you'll need to pay close attention to what and how much you eat, because your body will not, at this point, prevent you from eating.

I had my 2nd fill on Wednesday so I am at 6.5 in a 10cc band. I was amazed at the difference: as a matter of fact, I spent a good portion of yesterday PBing because I ate some potato Soup that really wasnt smooth enough. Don't worry about restriction:Really concentrate on the why of what you are eating: when you are hungry and good choices. It will benefit you down the road.

Hey Angie, I'm in the same boat!! I had my surgery May 10th and have no restriction whatsoever. I know that I've read that we're in "bandster hell" where we're only limited by ourselves and not the band yet. I go in for my first fill on June 8th and am hoping and praying that I don't gain anything between now and then!!! Although from what I've heard, we still won't get good restriction until the 3-4 fill...ugh!!!

So here we are...newly band and left to our own willpower!! And I don't know about you but, if I had any willpower, I wouldn't have needed the band!!!

Hang in there, let's just all support each other through "hell" and rejoice when we're on the other side.

BTW, your Breakfast sounds YUMMY!!!!

Hey Heather,

I have to say even though I ate that much this morning at 8:30 am I was not the least bit hungry until 1pm. Then I ate green Beans and cottage cheese. I tried to eat some Soup at 6pm and I can't eat it. I feel full or bloated. Still not sure of the difference.

I agree though if we had willpower we wouldn't have had surgery. Crazy!! The breakfast was good and when had I ate the small portion it would have been fine. I am all about filling foods. The whole breakfast had 200 cal 4.5g fat, 18g Protein. That's for all that I made and ummmm ate. Tomorrow is another day. aaaahhhh!!!!!! Here's to us keeping on track!! Let's keep in touch in case we need exta support and motivation okay?

thank you for all the responses. It is helping me keep perspective. The rest of today was better as my post above says. I am still only having about 400 cal today. That is not much.

Thank you for posting everyone!!! I was banded on may10th and i am really starting to struggle with hunger. Right now i am have some cream of wheat. It is yummy! I am suppose to be on full liquids, including yogurt and cottage cheese. Then on monday i am allowed to start incorporating soft foods into my diet. I am way too hungry though and have decided to start them a bit early. So far no problems.I had a teaspoon of Peanut Butter yesterday and a tablespoon of refried Beans today...still no problem....i am worried though that i will stretch my stomach and not even know it.

I was banded on 5/19, just 2 days ago, and I'm already feeling hungry. Its a weird hunger though, I'm still sore enough that I know there's still significant swelling going on, yet every few hours my tummy is definitely growling. I'm trying to stick to the all-liquids diet for at least the week my dr reccommended, but its hard to live on chicken broth and Jello when its not in the least bit satisfying to this hunger... ugh I guess I'm finding my way into bandster hell a little earlier than I'd planned, but oh well...

You may not have restriction until your 4 or 5th fill at the very least. Some people have posted they do not have restriction until 8 or 9 ccs in a 10 ccs. Don't beat yourself up.