Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band "Shoulder" poking out

I went in for me one week appointment post surgery last week. In the middle of my stomach right where the band is at I have an object poking out of my stomach. Most times you can't see it when I am standing or sitting, but if I lay down flat you can visibly see the object. At all times, regardless of my position you can feel the object. (that part doesn't bug me as I expected it). The doctor's assistant told me it appeared to be the "shoulder" of the band, and that it would become more visible as I lost more weight. (I expected that) but I have just started, lost about 15 lbs, and I already feel like I have an alien popping out of my stomach from this, so when I reach my goal weight, how bad is this thing going to be?

anyone else have this? I try not to worry to much about it, but my husband is really concerned and pushing me to get a second opinion on it.

I've not heard of this before, but several of us on this board have reported that our port sticks out like a tumor of sorts. Mine sticks way out and causes pain and discomfort, which is more of a problem for me than the fact that it is visible. I'm just five weeks post-op and my doctor is convinced that it is just 'pushing' against something due to swelling, etc. and will resolve itself. I'm not convinced.

Yeah I have read that, but this isn't my port, I can sort of feel it when I move wrong, Kind of rubbed against my rib in the first few weeks, but that is okay for now. This is right in the middle of my stomach so it can't be the port......

Definitely doesn't sound like it's your port. Is it causing you any pain or discomfort?

This is right in the middle of my stomach so it can't be the port......

It hurts if I poke on it, like the assistant did, but it doesn't really bother me just in normal activity. I tried to lay on my stomach the other day and it was uncomfortable, but I had expected that even before the surgery. The port does get uncomfortable when I move wrong (It like hits my ribs) but this thing doesn't seem to be anything more than just a visual issue!

I think I would have a second option because I haven't heard anything about that. Before I got my band I read the complications section and made a mental list of things to look for that may go wrong. Never saw that one but their are port issues, slippage, infections etc.That being said you may be the first to report this "shoulder" of the band" issue. Think about it like this a 2nd opinion and a copay with another doctor will give you & hubby piece of mind.

I have my first fill set for June 1. It will be with someone other then the physician assistant I saw last time, so I will watch it to see if it goes down with the swelling and ask again at the fill, if they can't give me a better answer I will see another doctor on it. I haven't had any issues, no vomitting, no compliants, so I don't want to seem like a "whiner" over somethig like this, but I guess it doesn't hurt to just check it out..........

Thanks

i have what feels like a straight ridge under the largest insisicion that was above my belly button. my port is in the immeadiate area. the ridge has shrunk and become less pronounced with each week that has passed since my surgery. my dr. said it was comon and will disappear over time. im more concern with the way the insision has left me with what looks like a dent .

I have never heard of the band having a "shoulder." I have a bump where my rib cage comes together, at the end of my sternum. I asked my dr about it and he told me it is called the xyphoid (sp?) process. I not really sure what the purpose of the XP is, but my dr said it is normal for me to feel it now since I have lost so much weight. This is just one of the many new bony parts of my body that I am discovering!

I have never heard of the band having a "shoulder." I have a bump where my rib cage comes together, at the end of my sternum. I asked my dr about it and he told me it is called the xyphoid (sp?) process. I not really sure what the purpose of the XP is, but my dr said it is normal for me to feel it now since I have lost so much weight. This is just one of the many new bony parts of my body that I am discovering!

See the problem is I haven't lost all that much weight yet. About 15 lbs, and I have felt it from the day I got home,

My xiphoid process protudes as well....I just haven't seen it in so long, I thought if looked funny at first! The Xiphoid is the cartilage part at the bottom of your rib cage...(many people use it to reference point during CPR). I have also found my hip bones as well! I kinda like it. I think the next bones I will discover are the cheek bones on my face...I am beginning to see them! good luck

I won't complain at seeing those!!! but this is a good three inches below the bottom of my rib cage, and I can move it around in a funky way. It is starting to bug me, hurts if I try to sleep on my left side, and just really seems to ache if I do anything that is really more then my normal activity requiring stomach muscles. I go in June 1st, so we will see what they have to say. If I have to live with it I will, because it is so much better then the alternative.

I went in for me one week appointment post surgery last week. In the middle of my stomach right where the band is at I have an object poking out of my stomach. Most times you can't see it when I am standing or sitting, but if I lay down flat you can visibly see the object. At all times, regardless of my position you can feel the object. (that part doesn't bug me as I expected it). The doctor's assistant told me it appeared to be the "shoulder" of the band, and that it would become more visible as I lost more weight. (I expected that) but I have just started, lost about 15 lbs, and I already feel like I have an alien popping out of my stomach from this, so when I reach my goal weight, how bad is this thing going to be?

anyone else have this? I try not to worry to much about it, but my husband is really concerned and pushing me to get a second opinion on it.

This sounds exactly like what I have! I was banded on May 10, and I am hoping it is going to go down, or go away! It is definitely not the port. I think it has to be my smaller stomach with the band on it, because any time I eat or drink anything it becomes more prominent and sticks out further. After I eat it looks like I have a small tumor sticking out right next to the inner angle of my lower left rib. I am seeing my Dr tomorrow for my first fill, and will let you know what he says... But I am glad someone else finally has what I have. I was really worried that it had slipped or something.

I am hoping that after the stomach is fully healed this will not be so prominent, as right now I would be embarrassed to be naked around anyone else-especially if I had eaten or drank anything in the last 8 hours. I don't want to have to starve myself anytime I have a date so I can look normal!

See the problem is I haven't lost all that much weight yet. About 15 lbs, and I have felt it from the day I got home,

Me too... I have felt this from the time I got home. I have only lost 9 lb so far, si it's nothing I am "discovering because I have lost weight". To me it feels like my Dr put the belt on deeper in my abdomen and left the "new stomach" facing outward toward my skin because everytime I eat or drink it swells and becomes visably distended. I was asking the same thing yesterday... If it stays this way as Iose weight I will look like I have a round protrudence from my abdomen all of the time. I never saw myself being one of those who wanted the band removed once I lost the weight... But if my choice is"keep it in and look deformed" or remove it and try to maintain without I may have to go for the latter.

Your are lucky you are married so you don't have to explain it to him. I am casually dating someone that I was hoping might turn into a real relationship in the future. I didn't tell him I was being banded and would prefer not to do so... But this "growth" may be a little difficult to explain. For now next time I see him I will fast for 10 hours or so beforehand, andI will wear one of my Lacey corsettes and not remove it. At least it won't be so noticeable then.

I wonder if I am having this problem because my Dr isn't a lapband Dr. He has done arount 150 lapbands, but he prefers the bypas of which he has done hundreds. He tried to talk me into one, but I didn't want anything that drastic. Now I think maybe I should have done the bypass... They can eat whatever they want and stillose weight, plus there is nothing visable to the naked eye that says "hey look at me I have a lap band"!

Me too... I have felt this from the time I got home. I have only lost 9 lb so far, si it's nothing I am "discovering because I have lost weight". To me it feels like my Dr put the belt on deeper in my abdomen and left the "new stomach" facing outward toward my skin because everytime I eat or drink it swells and becomes visably distended. I was asking the same thing yesterday... If it stays this way as Iose weight I will look like I have a round protrudence from my abdomen all of the time. I never saw myself being one of those who wanted the band removed once I lost the weight... But if my choice is"keep it in and look deformed" or remove it and try to maintain without I may have to go for the latter.

Your are lucky you are married so you don't have to explain it to him. I am casually dating someone that I was hoping might turn into a real relationship in the future. I didn't tell him I was being banded and would prefer not to do so... But this "growth" may be a little difficult to explain. For now next time I see him I will fast for 10 hours or so beforehand, andI will wear one of my Lacey corsettes and not remove it. At least it won't be so noticeable then.

I wonder if I am having this problem because my Dr isn't a LAP-BAND® Dr. He has done arount 150 lapbands, but he prefers the bypas of which he has done hundreds. He tried to talk me into one, but I didn't want anything that drastic. Now I think maybe I should have done the bypass... They can eat whatever they want and stillose weight, plus there is nothing visable to the naked eye that says "hey look at me I have a LAP-BAND®"!

My doctore is a lap-band doctor. He does the bypass as well but he does the lap band as much if not more as well. he is big on doing what fits you, he really pushed the band for me, but for my husband suggests "strongly" that he does the bypass. So I don't think it is just that he did it "different'. It almost feels like the buckle of the band is sticking out, you know the excess part of your belt that you tuck into the next belt loop...that part, that is sticking UP instead of down. My best friend had this done and her port is on the right, mine is on the left.....wonder if that matters.