Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April Bandsters - How are you doing?

Hey all! Good to reconnect here on the "other side." My surgery was 4/12 and my first fill isn't until June 2...I wish I could speed it up and I am finding it harder and harder to stick with the prescribed meal plan and not feeling satisfied. Trying to stick to 60+ grams of Protein each day, but miss chewing. sugar free gum has become my best friend. Weight loss is slow, but moving. I keep telling myself I didn't get here overnight, so I cannot expect it all to disappear quickly either. I share the frustrations of not drinking with meals and am learning to just cope. I hope it gets easier...

surgery on April 7th. doing good so far , happy with the progress , nice having to get rid of old clothes..... down 40 lbs with 60 to go

I was banded on 4/22 and my 1st fill is not until 6/7, almost wish it was sooner. Tried getting back on the elliptical at the gym and my body was not ready for it yet. As afterwards had some really bad pain on the incision on my right and then it managed to open slightly with a discharge. Doctor has me on antibiotics and it is slowly healing. Weight loss has dropped off considerably, but I still think that is all part of the healing process. So doctor said to stick to walking for another month and then try again.

Have not eaten and breads and pasta's and really don't want to right now. Still drinking one Protein shake a day (sometimes two) depending on what type of day I am having. Hardest part is going to Graduation party's and not having any food there that you can eat. But I got through it by always having a packet of Protein powder available with me. Went to a lunch with some executives at work, and didn't feel uncomfortable at all asking the waitress to modify my lunch dish. Asked to leave off the bread & Rice and asked for Mashed potatoes instead. It actually felt good, as most restaurants are accomodating to your needs.

Hi all - just reading a number of your posts and it was bringing back alot of memories of being newly banded. I was banded last April and just want to let all of you know that you are in for an amazing journey.

I wish you all the very best of luck and hope your journey is all you want it to be. Always keep in mind the bandster recommendations (they are easy to forget when the weight starts falling off). But they are really what keep you and the band successful and healthy.

Enjoy every pound lost and every mini-goal you meet.

Banded on 4/27/10. Doing well. Down 24 lbs since my last PCP visit on 4/12 at the start of the pre-op diet.

Loss of only 1 lb in the past week but I did not exercise as much as I should have and had several meals out that put me over my 1k calorie goal.

My incisions finally closed, tenderness near my port subsiding, and just overall feeling great.

Looking forward to some more positive loss and good feelings in the upcoming month.

First adjustment on 6/14/10, right after I return from vacation.

I was banded April 22, 2010. After a rough start, I am doing better now. My outlook has improved, I'm 12 pounds lighter and am cleared for all exercise starting this week.

I had terrible nausea for the first week post op. Then as soon as that went away, I was ravenous and wanted to eat everything in sight. I had a few bouts of panic about not being able to eat whatever I wanted and ate too much fast food. Felt depressed and like a failure.

But now I'm calming down, eating more sensibly. I plan out 3 smallish meals and 3 healthy Snacks, so I don't get too hungry and crazy. I focus on getting the healthy stuff in, then there's less room for junk. I can still have treats -- I just try to keep the amounts much smaller.

Learning a whole new way of life will take some time. I keep telling myself: Progress, not perfection. I get my first fill on June 2. I think exercise will help my mood and motivation as well.

Thanks for being here, you guys. This board is an invaluable source of information and encouragement. I would really be lost without you all.

I hopefully get my first fill tomorrow. I am kind of nervous as I have been able to eat anything and have not really had to chew small. I am nervous about the drinking too. Ready to start the Quest for the sweet spot.

Hi,

Just a quick note to say hello and happy to hear everyone is doing well. Marsmom I haven't had a fill yet but I have had them unfill me and it wasn't that bad at all. It is amazing that I had such a rough start but things have been getting better. The last three days I haven't had that hungry feeling hardly at all. I have to make my self eat even though I don't feel the hunger. I hope this is the feeling everyone has been talking about. If so, I am going to love my band. The other thing still keeping me in check is that if I eat to much or drink to much or maybe it is eating to fast I get the major shoulder pain in my left shoulder. It is an immediate negative feedback so I have been trying very hard to watch all of those things. I think tonight was to much Water after working in the yard. I must have sipped to fast or took much. It sucks when you are really thirsty and you can't just kick back the water.. Oh well. I will get used to it.

I like everyone else am ready to start my journey for the elusive "sweet spot". I agree with some of you that the band really makes me sit back and think about my choices, and therefore, almost MAKES me choose better. I go for my first fill on the 2nd of June, and am a little apprehensive. I was banded on the 29th of April and I drive 3 hours one way to the dr. I am so afraid that I will be too restricted and have to turn around and drive back. OR other end of the spectrum, they will not put but 1cc in me and I will still have no restriction. I am ready to stop being hungry every two hours. I have been making more Protein choices, but have to say that my head is getting in the way as it wants chips, or bread, or potatoes. I stay away from them though. I am having a graduation party on Saturday (my DH and I are both walking for our AA's after so very long and time to celebrate) but am choosing to make some low carb items so that I can endulge but not over indulge. A bar-b-q is going to be tough. It is all good though, I just need to keep thinking about the 15lbs I have lost thus far and continue on. Good luck ya'll and I look forward to continuing this journey with you all! :w00t:

I go for my first fill on the 2nd of June, and am a little apprehensive. I was banded on the 29th of April and I drive 3 hours one way to the dr. I am so afraid that I will be too restricted and have to turn around and drive back. OR other end of the spectrum, they will not put but 1cc in me and I will still have no restriction.

You shouldn't expect more than 1 cc per fill. The first fill isn't about hitting that sweet spot instantly. It's better to put too little than to put too much.

I don't understand why people expect so much. It's like hardly anyone is doing their research...

Howdi, Howdi!

I had Surgery on 4/8/10 and I had my first fill yesterday, 5/18/10. There was .5 cc's in the band from surgery and he put in 3cc's yesterday. So I am at 3.5cc in a 10 cc band. I definitely feel restriction and today I am swollen a bit as well as feeling kinda yuck... sorta nauseous... just kinda under the weather, but all in all I am doing really well.

Still dealing with hunger, but that's normal and to be expected for the first few fills. I only lost 1 pound from post surgery appointment but that too is normal.

Onward and downward! (On the scale at least!)

Hugs,

Heather

Howdi, Howdi!

I had Surgery on 4/8/10 and I had my first fill yesterday, 5/18/10. There was .5 cc's in the band from surgery and he put in 3cc's yesterday. So I am at 3.5cc in a 10 cc band. I definitely feel restriction and today I am swollen a bit as well as feeling kinda yuck... sorta nauseous... just kinda under the weather, but all in all I am doing really well.

Still dealing with hunger, but that's normal and to be expected for the first few fills. I only lost 1 pound from post surgery appointment but that too is normal.

Onward and downward! (On the scale at least!)

Hugs,

Heather

I also had surgery on the 8th and went to the Dr yesterday. I was supposed to have a fill, but the Dr said I was doing fine and if I wasn't super hungry between meals, I didn't have to have a fil. Some days I get hungry and some days I don't, so I put it off.

I have to admit my terror of needles had something to do with it though. :laugh:

I got my first fill today. It was really easy. I got 3 ccs and he said it was in addition to the 3 ccs from the surgery. I hope this helps. I could eat a lot and was hungry often. I go back in 3 weeks for another fill if necessary.

Keep up the exercise is my motto!

Hello,

Was banded on 4/15/10. Went back to work four days later. No issues. Just had my first fill today (five weeks after surgery). So far so good. Started getting hungry about a week and a half ago. Lets hope the fill helps. :thumbup:

Walking 1/2 hour a day need to step it up to and hour a day.

So far Im down 40 lbs. :laugh:

Hi all! I was banded on April 27th and doing pretty well. I don't have my first fill until June 10th and was wondering - do the fills hurt?

Good luck to all!