Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 10-6-09 - Scared and Failing

I'm not coloradobanding, but I'll share what I eat. It's been working very well for me.

My doctor's regimen is pretty stringent. I follow it pretty closely, but added in 2 Protein supplements. (He's a three-meals-a-day guy, but this works better for me; I find I eat smaller portions at mealtime as a result.)

early morning--warm Protein Drink and supplements

later morning, after exercise--3-4 oz. Protein. Today, I had this in the form of chicken & black bean chili---the Beans are carbier than animal sources of protein, so it's a good choice for me after exercising. (Legumes, vegetables, and occasional fruit are my only source of carbohydrate.)

lunch--3-4 oz. lean protein (meat, fish, chicken) plus 1/2 cup nonstarchy veggies OR small serving of fruit. Today, I spread 3 leaves of romaine lettuce with a little bit of chive cream cheese, then topped it each with an ounce of smoked salmon and cracked pepper.

dinner--3-4 oz. lean protein plus 1/2 cup nonstarchy veggies (if I didn't have one at lunch)--tonight, this will be an Asian pot roast. I may have some broccoli, too (since I don't have a fruit on the agenda).

evening--protein shake and supplements

So, over the course of the day I have two Protein drinks (~30 g protein each), three 3-4 ounce servings of protein, and a couple of small servings of nonstarchy veggies or one serving of veggies and one fruit.

After 75 percent of excess weight is lost, I'm "allowed" to add grains back in. (I say "allowed" in quotes because I realize it's all a matter of personal choice.)

ETA: Protein is emphasized because the amino acids found in dietary protein are needed for cell maintenance and repair. Our bodies store energy in the form of both carbohydrate (glycogen in the liver) and fat. While we do need certain essential fatty acids from our diets, we really do NOT need much in the way of carbohydrate (for energy) as long as we have excess body weight.

Edited by BetsyB

I'm aware of the daily requirements of Protein and that at each meal you should eat your protein first and if you have any room then the veggies and carbs, but I never heard of anyone waiting until they have consumed all of thier protein for the day before eating any carbs. I really thought this was interesting since I can still eat alot of food and maybe this approach might help me until I get some restriction. I was just wondering if she is eating just straight eggs, meat and cheese or if she allowing herself Condiments, sauces or veggies with the protein. I was just asking what she typically eats in a day. Thanks for the reply, Lisa

Betsy, thanks for the reply I didn't see your post until after I posted I guess thats what happens when there is 5 kids in the room with you. LOL :thumbup:

Good Morning everyone....today is a new day with new beginnings and I haven't given up. God gave me to much power over my life to just give up.

I only fail if I stop trying.....

I go in for my next fill on Monday. Starting today...the Protein takes presidence. It will and from this point forward be the first in line on my plate. Unfortuntely, as Coloradobanding suggested...I am going to have to start completely over with my diet. Sadly, the place I got my band never stressed the importance of Protein. I will discuss this with them as well. Granted the importance may have been spread all over these boards but I am NEW to the boards.

Protein...Protein...Protein...I got it now.

Lisa73....honey I wish you luck and we can do this. Obviously we aren't losing like all the others but we will get there.

Thanks everyone for posting and trying to help me.

Good Morning everyone....today is a new day with new beginnings and I haven't given up. God gave me to much power over my life to just give up.

I only fail if I stop trying.....

I go in for my next fill on Monday. Starting today...the Protein takes presidence. It will and from this point forward be the first in line on my plate. Unfortuntely, as Coloradobanding suggested...I am going to have to start completely over with my diet. Sadly, the place I got my band never stressed the importance of Protein. I will discuss this with them as well. Granted the importance may have been spread all over these boards but I am NEW to the boards.

Protein...Protein...Protein...I got it now.

Lisa73....honey I wish you luck and we can do this. Obviously we aren't losing like all the others but we will get there.

Thanks everyone for posting and trying to help me.

Thank you you really made my day!!!!

No you ALL made my day. I don't know if I've ever been so upset in my life as I was yesterday minus deaths and things like that. I ended up going home early from work and having the biggest cry of my life. I cried from the depths of my soul but I will tell you this...God heard me loud and clear....because when I woke up this morning, I felt good. I felt refreshed, I feel like I will be ok. There is never hope lost until I lose it. My life long childhood friend who has lost 92lbs with her band said to me last night...Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Really hit home and I have every ounce of faith that God will help me and although its not tangible right now...I'm headed for the best phase in my life. I have to believe that. Someone posted something that helped alot as well....that I am not even at my sweet spot yet I've lost weight outside of that....that hit home as well. I keep saying...I'm 6 months out of surgery....yes I am but I am not 6 months in the "sweet spot phase" so today I hold my head high, take all the advice I've been given wether I thought it was mean, nice, good or ugly....it was all meant for me to hear. You all have helped me and I thank you.

I did try to do more exercise thinking maybe walking wasn't cutting it for me so I joined a boot camp...well needless to say...don't laugh now....I ended up fainting and the ambulance had to be called. Gosh how embarassing it was. So I am back to walking but the fitness traniner in our community of course made me feel bad about myself...told me walking wasn't challenging my cardiovascular system...Well fainting isn't either...if I die who cares if I lose weight!

Oh, my. I'm so sorry to hear that this happened-- But, girl! There is a WORLD of exercise that is more challenging than walking but isn't Boot Camp!! Boot Camp is insanely intense. I work at a gym- but I refuse to teach boot camp because it's marketed to everyone, but IMO, it's NOT for everyone. I would make people bring me a doctor's note before I would allow them to be in boot camp.

It is important to mix up your exercise routine-- our bodies get very efficient at the things we do routinely (and burn fewer calories when we do them as a result). But I have to say, 13,000 steps a day ROCKS! It's way more than most people get. That's awesome! Someone suggested that you add faster walking intervals, which is a great suggestion, but you also might like something like jazzercise, or step aerobics (start with no risers under the step), or Zumba. They are all fun, and can be high or low intensity. And they're not all crazy like Boot Camp.

Oh, my. I'm so sorry to hear that this happened-- But, girl! There is a WORLD of exercise that is more challenging than walking but isn't Boot Camp!! Boot Camp is insanely intense. I work at a gym- but I refuse to teach boot camp because it's marketed to everyone, but IMO, it's NOT for everyone. I would make people bring me a doctor's note before I would allow them to be in boot camp.

It is important to mix up your exercise routine-- our bodies get very efficient at the things we do routinely (and burn fewer calories when we do them as a result). But I have to say, 13,000 steps a day ROCKS! It's way more than most people get. That's awesome! Someone suggested that you add faster walking intervals, which is a great suggestion, but you also might like something like jazzercise, or step aerobics (start with no risers under the step), or Zumba. They are all fun, and can be high or low intensity. And they're not all crazy like Boot Camp.

It sort of goes back to the thinking all of us are guilty of. If a little bit is good then a whole lot is better. If we could just learn to pace ourselves and work up a little at a time, we would have 3/4 of the battle won. It is the same thinking that gets many bandsters too tight. We spend so much time wishing for restriction, that we will live for months on end with too much restriction thinking it will work. It doesn't work either... Hugs to all......

@ Shadst8... Hey Soror!!:redface:... Its so nice to see one of us on here!!....lol

I am soo glad I found this forum!!! I too was begining to loose hope in the band. I am 7 week post op and I've only lost 12 lbs!!! 7 of the 12 was in the 1 week post op so basically Ive only lost 5 lbs in 6 week!! I walk at home at least 3 times a week to Leslie Sansone's DVD ( I love her:thumbup:). I make myself not eat too much although I can eat a whole lot more after 2 fills. I have a 10cc band and im at 5.5 cc. My weight keeps fluctuating up/down 2 lbs.

Does or has anyone used powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury?? I just received my order for it last week and have been very hesitant to use it!! The pack is sooo big!! It says to mix it with 8 oz of your favorite beverage and so today I did and I gaged as I tried to drink it!!! Its suppose to be unflavored but it tasted like penicillin to me! Any other uses for it or did I just waste $37.00 of my money?

@ Shadst8... Hey Soror!!:redface:... Its so nice to see one of us on here!!....lol

I am soo glad I found this forum!!! I too was begining to loose hope in the band. I am 7 week post op and I've only lost 12 lbs!!! 7 of the 12 was in the 1 week post op so basically Ive only lost 5 lbs in 6 week!! I walk at home at least 3 times a week to Leslie Sansone's DVD ( I love her:thumbup:). I make myself not eat too much although I can eat a whole lot more after 2 fills. I have a 10cc band and im at 5.5 cc. My weight keeps fluctuating up/down 2 lbs.

Does or has anyone used unjury?? I just received my order for it last week and have been very hesitant to use it!! The pack is sooo big!! It says to mix it with 8 oz of your favorite beverage and so today I did and I gaged as I tried to drink it!!! Its suppose to be unflavored but it tasted like penicillin to me! Any other uses for it or did I just waste $37.00 of my money?

Unflavored means you have to flavor it with something. Artificial sweetener, vanilla, chocolate, etc. What I do with it is use it to boost the Protein in my recipes. I add it to Soup, chilli, etc. Hugs!!!

Does or has anyone used unjury?? I just received my order for it last week and have been very hesitant to use it!! The pack is sooo big!! It says to mix it with 8 oz of your favorite beverage and so today I did and I gaged as I tried to drink it!!! Its suppose to be unflavored but it tasted like penicillin to me! Any other uses for it or did I just waste $37.00 of my money?

Hey soror:biggrin: I used Unjury all the time--the other poster is correct--I always put unflavored in something else to boost its protein--crystal light, Soups, chilli, etc!

Hey soror:biggrin: I used unjury all the time--the other poster is correct--I always put unflavored in something else to boost its protein--crystal light, Soups, chilli, etc!

But do u guys use the WHOLE pack?? Yesterday I only used not even close to a 1/2 of the pack in a 16.9oz bottle of Water w/ a sugarfree hawaiian punch pack and it totally changed the consistency and I could not stomache the texture or smell!!:smile:. How do u use the packs and in what serving amount? For example in the soups and chili, do u add the whole pack to 1 can?

I use a website that someone mentioned on this site called Livestrong My Plate. You can program how many calories you should take in one day and it also calculates Protein, carbs, fats, etc. It gives you a clear picture of what your daily intake is so if you are taking in too many carbs, fats,etc. you can adjust your diet. I love it because you can punch in all name brand foods and amounts. I also measure everything. Protein is one of the most important things you need to have. When I'm not losing and I do this and readjust what I eat and step up my exercise this site is extremely helpful. I always say whatever I've lost is a success because at least I haven't gained that amount of weight. It takes us a while to gain the weight and not everyone loses the same. I would sit down with your doctor or nutritionist, keep a food diary and figure out what you need to change. We can't give up or feel like a failure. Keep up the good work, you are doing just fine.

I use a website that someone mentioned on this site called Livestrong My Plate. You can program how many calories you should take in one day and it also calculates Protein, carbs, fats, etc. It gives you a clear picture of what your daily intake is so if you are taking in too many carbs, fats,etc. you can adjust your diet. I love it because you can punch in all name brand foods and amounts. I also measure everything. Protein is one of the most important things you need to have. When I'm not losing and I do this and readjust what I eat and step up my exercise this site is extremely helpful. I always say whatever I've lost is a success because at least I haven't gained that amount of weight. It takes us a while to gain the weight and not everyone loses the same. I would sit down with your doctor or nutritionist, keep a food diary and figure out what you need to change. We can't give up or feel like a failure. Keep up the good work, you are doing just fine.

OMG thanks for sharing that:thumbup:!!! I just went to the site and it actually calculates EVERYTHING!!!

Hey Lap-banders!

Scared and Failing,

I was so sad to read your post, because I totally understand how you are feeling. I was banded on December 23, 2009, but my starting weight was a whopping 375, and in the first few months I had only lost 20 pounds and I was so frustrated. But I had in the beginning of march and since then I've lost another 22 pounds, and things are looking up. I still have a ton of weight to lose, but I try not to focus on that, and focus on the small triumphs. Also before my fill I was at 5cc in a 10 cc band, and had very little restriction, and they added 1cc and now I am very restricted, so 1cc can really make all the difference. I have even considered having them take a little out because I have had some vomitting and gas, but instead I have adjusted my diet to make sure I have given it my best shot, and I haven't been cheating and eating things I know I shouldn't be, and it seems to have helped. So don't get discouraged, weight loss is a life long venture, so look at the bright side and try not to give up, because 1 more cc can really make all the difference!! :smile: