Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you could do it over ..

Would you do it again ?

What would you do differently to improve your success?

What would you suggest that I not do ?

Looking for all the insight I can find. Getting ready for surgery.

Endoscopy was yukky last week. Still have gas !

If you had asked this 2 days after my surgery I would have said no. I was pretty uncomfortable and I couldnt get the percoset down and had to get liquid pain meds from my surgeon so I went a day and a half without any pain meds. But now, yes. Definitely! I wouldn't change a thing, except to have maybe asked for liquid pain meds before I left the hospital. :scared2:

I dont think I would do anything differently, either. I was told to do a one week pre-op diet and on my own I decided to do two weeks of nothing but Optifast which I'm glad I did. It really jump started my weightloss. I'm pretty happy with the way things turned out :wink: Just make sure you follow your surgeon's pre-op and post-op diets to the T. If you're gonna do this you might as well do it right :unsure:

I wish more people would reply to this- It has some very good questions, and I would love to hear some more people's advice!

I would do it again. It has now been a year since my band. I feel so much better. I have more to lose, but I know I am going to get there.

1. Get involved in a support group and stay involved. I started, but do to my scheduling I couldn't continue. You get so much support from your bariatric community. They care about you and want to see you succeed and will help you to get to goal.

2. Get counseling right away. I started counseling when I started thinking about surgery. I learned a lot about my behaviors. Having the band does not make those feelings for eating go away. Counseling gave me the tools I needed for my emotional eating.

3. You still have to exercise. Even if you only walk 30 min. a day 5 days a week...every bit helps. If you exercise, you will be less likely to get too far off track.

4. DON'T FORGET....THE BAND IS ONLY A TOOL! NOT A CURE.

Good luck and best wishes.

:scared2:

Absolutely would do it again! The first few days are difficult but bearable. Yes you're uncomfortable- the pressure from swellling & gas pain. If you have hernia repair which it seems about half of us on here have, the discomfort is more. But its a surgery- its inevitable to be uncomfortable. Are you in agony and brought to tears by it? Far from it. At least for me. I took liquid loritab (yes ofcourse all ur meds should either be liquid or you need to buy a pill crusher ($4 at walmart!). A crushed pill can be put over a tablespoon of something flavorful to avoid the taste. (Protein shake or juice) That's this nurses trick! =)

For me cutting out rice & bread during pre op dieting helped curb the withdrawls during post op diet. I always loved carbs but I haven't had it for so long it doesn't bother me. Same goes for soda!

Be prepared at home pre op. Have your supply of broths, Protein drinks, crystal light, v8splash light (good way to get your veggie/fruits in!), gasX strips, heat pad, and the help of a friend or family member that you're comfortable with & can depend on. You will need help the first 24hrs- you will be out of it immediately post op til the anesethesia wears off. You may even need help getting on/off the toilet. (Bending hurts!!) You should know you will be passing a lot of gas due to the co2 used during surgery... so if you're like me & don't like tooting in front of the bf- warn him!!haha =)

If you live with ppl make sure they understand the process- it will help them be more supportive. I emptied my kitchen of temptation before the pre op diet- chocolate Syrup, Cookies & all fatty Condiments. My bf now eats light or fat free everything bc its all we have & its really not that different. You can't eat what isn't there.

I recommend having a special day to weigh in and otherwise keep your scale put away. With the swelling & gas the first weeks your wt will fluctuate & it may throw you off your game if you don't necessarily see results daily. Keep in mind it takes 2-3 days to lose a single pound depending on your basal metabolic rate. (A deficit of 3500calories is equivilant to 1lb loss).

Beware of bandster hell! You may take a while to find your sweet spot of restriction. I personally felt restriction from day 1 but from what I've read that's not common. Be prepared to use self control & will power for a while. Don't expect immediate rapid weight loss. People that expect to lose a lot immediately tend to have post op regret/depression. And for many of us depression leads to comfort eating.

Excercise!! Lack of calories slows the metabolism so keep your body moving to keep it up & you can keep losing!

Remember the band is a tool you have to do your part. Make smart food choices, do NOT drink with meals & do not eat or drink a lot of empty calories.

And finally find & keep a support group! Accountability is essential for me. I tell certain people my losses & my slip ups. And if I slip I forgive myself & make a plan how not to do it again. Don't be too hard on yourself this is a learning process. Other bandsters will know exactly wat ur goin through & how you feel. The best ppl to advise you are those who have been there. Stay positive & inspired.

You can do this!

Edited by Sashay02

Awesome advice! I would love to rid my house of temptations, but I live with 3 other people, and they wouldn't appreciate that very much. So far, I only get tempted when I make my husbands and sons dinner. If my husband gets home early, he will make it while I take a shower or go for a walk. Problem is, he only gets home early once in a blue moon :thumbup:/ Still though, I am doing pretty good. I've been on a pre-op type diet for 3 days now, and I am down 4lbs!!

Thanks so much for all of your advice! (And I can't wait to "Blow" my husband away!) After 11 years of marriage, pulling the covers over his head after a "Toot" is a joy!!!! Lol-

Would you do it again ? Yes, Yes, yes & Yes (I am 8 weeks post-op)

Differently? Not much, I think i was pretty well prepared.

What would you suggest that I not do ? Yes on the support groups, I went to about 6 before surgery and go once a month now. Oh, and also please read as much as you can on here and in books. You can't expect the doctor or P.A. to tell you everything, and when a question comes up "after hours" it's great to have a book or these great people on the forum to help.There are a couple great books out there. It helped so much.

GOOD LUCK!

You know how when you are on a diet and you begin to crave foods you haven't eaten in years....How do you combat those thoughts and feelings? I'm looking into this and thought I was ready until I started reading more. I've heard some people go to alcohol as their comfort instead of food? :thumbup:

If you had asked this 2 days after my surgery I would have said no. I was pretty uncomfortable and I couldnt get the percoset down and had to get liquid pain meds from my surgeon so I went a day and a half without any pain meds. But now' date=' yes. Definitely! I wouldn't change a thing, except to have maybe asked for liquid pain meds before I left the hospital. :redface:

I dont think I would do anything differently, either. I was told to do a one week pre-op diet and on my own I decided to do two weeks of nothing but Optifast which I'm glad I did. It really jump started my weightloss. I'm pretty happy with the way things turned out :) Just make sure you follow your surgeon's pre-op and post-op diets to the T. If you're gonna do this you might as well do it right :thumbup:[/quote']

OMG... you lost 29 pounds in 1 month? Way to go!

If you had asked me this question the 1st week after surgery I would have said it was the worst decision I've ever mad in my life!!

Today..THE BEST DECISION I'VE EVER MADE IN MY LIFE!!!

The things I would change....

Not comparing myself and my weight loss to anyone else-VERY self sabotaging!!

Would have done it 3 years sooner!!!

Other than that..NOTHING!!!

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE MY BAND!!!

This was really helpful reading. Thanks to all of you. My surgery is May 12th. I want to be prepared.:thumbdown:

Would you do it again? Absolutely!! In a heartbeat!

I feel like I was really well prepared, but it would have been good if I'd read more about "Bandster Hell" and made a plan for what to do during that phase.

Suggestions? I wrote out a Post-Op Plan for Success before I had my surgery, which was a really great way for me to think about what I was going to do to make this work. I found it really helpful. Here is a link to it, in case you want to read it (and my comments months later).

I recommend tracking your progress. I have been keeping an Excel spreadsheet since prior to surgery, and I keep my weight & measurements on there. It's a great way to track your progress. I only write when I hit a new low number -- I don't track it when the scale bounces up a bit before the next loss.

Also, take a bunch of before photos and your measurements right away, if you haven't already. You will definitely want them later! Great way to measure your progress.

I hope that helps!

Best wishes for your success,

Catherine