Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

experiencing terrible pain in port area when bending over

I spoke with my surgeon today and told him of my pain in the port area that is exacerbated by bending over. He said not to worry about it and that it should go away over time. He suggested that some folks just bruise more and deeper and that's what the pain is a result of.

Hi,

I had excruciating pain when bending over a month after surgery. So bad I had to go home from work. It was the kind of pain that your eyes tear up immediately and you can't stop yourself from crying. I had almost no pain until then and whamo. When I called the doctor he also said it was normal and to not bend over and to get bed rest for the next couple of days. I went home from work on a Wednesday and laid on the couch till Monday. liquid Tylenol was my best friend. I haven't had any problems since. I had my husband wait on me for everything and had him or someone else pick up anything I dropped. It hurt so bad but now it's gone. I hope it stays that way cause I really scared my co-workers and my husband half to death. Most everyone knows I had my surgery in Mexico so they were freaking out I wasn' t going to get care here. So far so good, I'm down 40 pounds and I had my surgery February 4th. Had my first fill under flouro here in the states and they said my band looked really good and my surgery was really well done. I'm happy despite all that pain. :thumbup:

I had that pain, too. It felt like my guts were ripping out. Sorry to be so graphic. I thought I had tore my port loose or something, that is how bad it was. I couldn't bend over to pick anything up and couldn't sleep or lay on that side for months. I still get a pain there every once in awhile if I bend a certain way and it's been four months since surgery. I also have trouble sleeping on that side still, I have to put a small pillow underneath me first. It will get better, but it is not fun, that's for sure!

I am 8:cursing: days Post op and I have this horrible port pain as well. I am very concerned about this also. I wonder if it will always be like this. WHen I cough, I feel the port and it does not feel natural at all. I am so scared to fully cough cause I dont know what will happen. I am having such mixed feelings because I am wondering why I did this? I should have just stopped killing myself by eating and not had to get a foreign object placed under my left breast. I can hardly breathe in deep. I took a week off work but I do not feel I will be able to return on Monday. I am still highly sore and not energetic.

I am 8:cursing: days Post op and I have this horrible port pain as well. I am very concerned about this also. I wonder if it will always be like this. WHen I cough, I feel the port and it does not feel natural at all. I am so scared to fully cough cause I dont know what will happen. I am having such mixed feelings because I am wondering why I did this? I should have just stopped killing myself by eating and not had to get a foreign object placed under my left breast. I can hardly breathe in deep. I took a week off work but I do not feel I will be able to return on Monday. I am still highly sore and not energetic.

Our perception of time gets screwed up for awhile when we get banded. The amount of time it takes to recover varies from person to person anyway but then when we hurt or we are anxious to lose weight, we think things should be happening a whole lot faster. I promise you it will get better. Try to move around as much as you can and try to find things to distract you from what is going on inside. It helps the time go by faster. You absolutely did the right thing and in a few months, you will have almost completely forgotten about what is going on right now. Hugs to you!!!!

My pain at 8 days post op has been getting worse rather than better and that just doesn't seem right to me. That being the case, I called my doctor's office this morning since the surgeon told me to be sure and call if there were any problems. I told them that I felt like I had a broken rib and that the past few days it was a standard pain and not just when I bent over. They asked me to come in right away to see another doctor in the office since mine is not in today. The visit proved interesting as the doctor said that I did indeed have much more swelling than is normal at this stage. He attributes it to a hematoma resulting from a broken blood vessel. He surmised that the bleeding probably happened as a result of a cough. The good news is that it is not infected. He recommended only rest and time to heal it.

I'm having pain in my port area, too. I was banded on March 23rd and the pain just started yesterday. It comes and goes. It seems like it happens right after I stand up from bending over or get up from the floor. (I am a teacher and I have a 19 month old, so I'm on the floor a lot :biggrin:)

I'm worried about it because it seems to have started suddenly. If I still feel this way Monday I will call the doctor first thing in the morning.

I did have my first fill last Wednesday. I wonder if it could be related to that?

I'm almost three months out from surgery and I get teh pain in my port area when I bend down to tie my sneakers, or zip my boots depending upon how high and tight my jeans waistband is.