Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-Op and Freaking Out A Bit

Hi everyone! I was just banded yesterday, and I'm freaking out a bit that I actually went through with it. It almost seems surreal after months of prep time that I'm finally on the otherside now. It's weird and a little scary to have a foreign object... this piece of plastic wrapped around my stomach for the rest of my life!

My BMI is 37 and although my family and friends have been supportive, none of them thought I should do the surgery because I wasn't that big to start with. Although in my mind, I've struggled with dieting and obsession with food my whole life, and I just want to be healthy for a change. I have 2 small children, and I want to set a healthy example for them.

I'm also having a hard time getting in all the Protein shakes and staying hydrated. I've been sipping away, but I get full so fast it's hard to drink all the chicken broth and shakes. Just looking for a boost of encouragement. Thanks!

I've been banded a little over a week. I'm having the same issues. I'm scared of my band, lol. I'm scared I'm going to break it. I'm scared it's so fragile. I have issues, I swear! I wish I had my own x-ray machine so I can keep checking it to make sure it's ok.

I'm having a hard time with the Protein too. I can't find a shake that I like.

Hopefully, when we start eating a normal diet things will get better!

Everything is ok. Be proud of yourself for deciding on the change. I am in your same boat because my grandmother and my husband did not want me to get the band but I was banded today. I have to do me because for so many years, I havent. God bless you.

Your feelings post op are normal. This is a total change of lifestyle and it takes time to embrace. My therapist advised me to "welcome" the band into my body. Mentally to embrace that I had a tool to help me regain health and self-confidence.

Take ONE DAY AT A TIME. Follow your physicians instructions. Stay hydrated and drink your Protein slowly. Try adding crystal light powder to the protein to make it more interesting. Different flavors with fresh fruit.< /span>

Be excited that you have made a decision JUST FOR YOU.

Congratulations. Look at some of the photos of all the other successful banders and be proud of your decision.

Joyce from KC

Great news that you were banded! My surgery date is set for May 17th.

Try this site for Protein, they have tons of flavors and you can search by what you are looking for.

Bodybuilding.com - Protein Finder! A Search Tool That Finds The Perfect Protein For You!

Good Luck!

I understand how you feel I'm 2 days post op & this is so surreal. My life is so different I keep looking at the mirror looking for visible change! I feel so incredibly full all the time. A sip of anything feels like I just had 2 or 3 sitting at a las vegas buffet! I can't believe how little I eat & my lack of appetite. I'm sure this will wear of when the swelling goes down though. I find encouragement looking at all the success stories online (youtube vlogs are interesting too!) & planning how I'm going to make this band work for me. Its a process though take your time!

Thanks for all your responses and words of encouragement! It's nice to know I'm not the only one feeling this way. I love the idea of positively accepting the band into my body as a part of me know that will help me be healthy instead of thinking of it as this strange new object stuck inside me :laugh:

God Bless You All!:thumbup:

I'm almost 4 weeks out and just had my first fill yesterday. I was and still am a bit like you. I was told the issue is from the stomach swelling right after band placement. Once that goes down you will be able to tolerate more liquids. I was slowly getting better but now that I had the fill, I am back to fullness again. At least i can't eat much! LOL

I've been banded for 3 weeks and I promise I felt the SAME way! In fact I still wish I had an x-ray machine at home 'just to check'! Even though I was more than ready to have the band, when I got home I wanted to go back and have the band removed. I never realized how the surgery impacted me psychologically. I'm still on the mushies and never dreamed that my love of food was so strong. When I went back this past week for my post-surgery check, I told my doctor that psychologically it was more difficult. Not even the counseling sessions could have prepared me 100%. BUT, I have to say, that initial 'scare' is gone and I'm looking forward to eating 'normal' food and really beginning my new lifestyle plan. I've lost 16 pounds and it was so nice to go outside and work in my yard today and not be exhausted with the work.

Hello and CONGRATS on being banded....When I first had it done, I wanted it out. I was in pain for 5 days. It is normal to not be able to drink much....focus on staying hydrated even more than the Protein right now....You will faind each day it get easier and less painful...I am a little over 3 weeks post op and I am finally excited to have my band. This will not only save my life, it will help me to have a life....if I use this tool properly. Alos remember that this is recovery period and its NORMAL to no lose too much weight before your fills....I am down a total of 35 pounds and 22 was from pre op...so only13 since surgery....

take good care of yourselves, pamper yourself and your band....your body has been through a whole lot but you will realize soon if not already that this is soooooo worth it!!!

MEG:thumbup:

I was banded last Monday.... It wasn't until Friday that I could actually get down the Protein Shakes and some water.... it gets easier day by day as the swelling goes down....So keep trying even though it seems impossible. The super full feeling went away, but I'm still not hungry. So I have to make myself do it, because the urge isn't there.

Good Luck!

I can totally relate! I was banded on 4/9 and I am still freaking a bit. I feel something a little bit different in that area and start to panic. However I am now freaking for a different reason. The swelling from surgery must be going down because now I am starting to feel the hunger pangs. I even woke up Friday night in the middle of the night hungry. That scares me.

It is nice to be able to come to this board and see that you are not alone. Hang in there.... you can do this because you deserve to be healty4life :):thumbup:

Yep....was just driving home from work today thinking to myself "I can't believe i really did it".......but glad now that the actual surgery is behind me and I can start living my new life.

I too felt like "oh, my god, What did I do?" I have 2 children ages 5 and 9 and I have several co-morbities. I wanted to be off my diabetes medication and others. I am happy to say I have accomplished that after only 4 days post surgery. I worry sometimes about how I will fit "normal life" into the lap band. You all help me understand that my feelings are normal and I am so glad to have a connection to all of you. This website is a huge help for getting through each day! Thank you everyone!