Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wow...is this ever happening fast!

Hi, my name is Michelle, and this is my first post. I feel like I am caught up in a Lap-Band whirlwind. Ahhh, let me start at the beginning...

I have been obese since my late teens, and I just turned 40. I have been considering WLS for at least 5 years, but due to military moves and other issues I have only recently decided that NOW is the time to move ahead. I only made this decision about 2 weeks ago. Since that time things have happened at a speed that I would not have believed possible!

I had discussed WLS with my PCM before, and knew that I more than met the requirements, so I called and asked for a referral. Within days I was told about a Lap Band Seminar, that was the following night, and I went...this was just last Wednesday night. After the seminar I talked with Dr. Smith and felt comfortable that this was the right decision. I talked with his support staff and before I left that night I was told that I could see Dr. Smith for a consult on Monday. A wonderful nurse and my PCM are bending over backwards to get my referral and approval pushed through.

Today, 5 days after going to the seminar, I met with the doc, he said I was a great candidate, answered all of my questions, and his staff asked when I would like to schedule the surgery. I said ASAP...I left with appointments next week for the phych consult, nutritionist appointment, pre-op appointment, and surgery date of April 20th.

All I can say is WOW! I think this must be some kind of record...just 3 1/2 week from seminar to surgery. It is a blessing to have things happen so fast, when most people have to jump through hoops to get this done, but my head is also spinning at the thought of how quickly things are moving. I could wait a few months, but I feel like the sooner I get banded, the sooner I will start my new life, but I must admit that I am overwhelmed. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michelle

Albuquerque, NM

Wow, you are so lucky! I have been hoop jumping for the past 9 months. Good luck and I hope your journey is a smooth one.

Hi, my name is Michelle, and this is my first post. I feel like I am caught up in a Lap-Band® whirlwind. Ahhh, let me start at the beginning...

I have been obese since my late teens, and I just turned 40. I have been considering WLS for at least 5 years, but due to military moves and other issues I have only recently decided that NOW is the time to move ahead. I only made this decision about 2 weeks ago. Since that time things have happened at a speed that I would not have believed possible!

I had discussed WLS with my PCM before, and knew that I more than met the requirements, so I called and asked for a referral. Within days I was told about a LAP-BAND® Seminar, that was the following night, and I went...this was just last Wednesday night. After the seminar I talked with Dr. Smith and felt comfortable that this was the right decision. I talked with his support staff and before I left that night I was told that I could see Dr. Smith for a consult on Monday. A wonderful nurse and my PCM are bending over backwards to get my referral and approval pushed through.

Today, 5 days after going to the seminar, I met with the doc, he said I was a great candidate, answered all of my questions, and his staff asked when I would like to schedule the surgery. I said ASAP...I left with appointments next week for the phych consult, nutritionist appointment, pre-op appointment, and surgery date of April 20th.

All I can say is WOW! I think this must be some kind of record...just 3 1/2 week from seminar to surgery. It is a blessing to have things happen so fast, when most people have to jump through hoops to get this done, but my head is also spinning at the thought of how quickly things are moving. I could wait a few months, but I feel like the sooner I get banded, the sooner I will start my new life, but I must admit that I am overwhelmed. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michelle

Albuquerque, NM

wow, this is fast. Given how quickly this is happening, I have to ask: do you understand that this is a tool, and you have to work it. You probably heard that it'ss not a magic wand, that being said, getting my band was one of the best decisons I've ever made in my life. I'm 4 years out, maintaining my goal weight for over 21 years, and have a blog with lots of information that might be useful in helping you prepare for surgery and get the most from your tool. You can find the link in my signature below. I hae info there including tips on how to prepare for surgery. Please let me know if helps.

Thanks Holly Anne & Gloria,

I appreciate your advice and concern. I can assure you that I have done my homework and research. For 5 years I have been researching surgery types, surgeons, reading other peoples' stories, and watching friends have surgery. I have not stepped into this lightly, and I do understand that the bad is a tool and not magic...but wouldn't it be great if it was :)

I will happily check out Gloria's blog, I am reading almost non-stop to educate myself as much as possible. Thanks again, I appreciate the support, and look forward to meeting more people on the boards!

Michelle

Hi Michelle -

Isn't the staff at Lovelace great....and efficient! I was just banded with Dr. Smith on the 25th (5 days ago) in ABQ. My total process took about 6 weeks....and I thought that was quick!

It sounds like you have done your homework and are ready for this change. I would recommend reading and speaking with as many people as you can before your surgery in April. You should also try coming to the support meeting at the hospital on Monday, April 12th at 7 pm. I went to the one last month and it was really helpful to listen and ask questions about the band procedure. Paula (head surgical nurse), Laura (dietitian) and Jaine (psych) run the support group.

Please contact me if you have any questions about the surgery or the staff at Lovelace. Congrats on your decision and I hope to see you in support group!

Melissa

Thanks Melissa...

It is great to hear from a patient of Dr. Smith's! I am planning on coming to the support group meeting in April. I have lots of questions now, and I am sure that I will have even more by then :)

How are you doing since your banding? I will be praying for you as you heal and adjust. Looking forward to meeting you!

Michelle

Thanks Holly Anne & Gloria,

I appreciate your advice and concern. I can assure you that I have done my homework and research. For 5 years I have been researching surgery types, surgeons, reading other peoples' stories, and watching friends have surgery. I have not stepped into this lightly, and I do understand that the bad is a tool and not magic...but wouldn't it be great if it was :smile2:

I will happily check out Gloria's blog, I am reading almost non-stop to educate myself as much as possible. Thanks again, I appreciate the support, and look forward to meeting more people on the boards!

Michelle

HI Michelle,

I suspected you had done your homework over the years. Good for you. BTW, I'm still hoping for that magic wand someday, but for now I LOVE my band! Lots of people here to help and cheer you along!:frown:

Hi there Michelle -

I am doing great since my banding. I just got home from my one week post-op appointment. All seems to be going well with the healing. I am able to eat mushies today! YES! It is going to be wonderful to having something other than Protein shakes and blended cottage cheese. I never thought that I would covet the idea of eating mashed potatoes and gravy....but I sure need a new flavor!

I really need to work on drinking and eating slower. I don't really have any restriction right now, but I sure feel it if I gulp too much Water or try to swallow too big a bite of blended cottage cheese. I thought that I was taking smaller drinks and bites, but apparently not. It really feels tight and hurts for about 5 seconds after each drink or bite. I need to try to slow down and do better before I get my first fill in 3 weeks.

I really hope that your appointments next week go well....then all that is left is the wait for final insurance approval! My time frame was really short too between my appointments and surgery. My appointments with the dietitian and psych was on the 10th, insurance was filed on the 11th, and I didn't hear back from them until the 22nd....surgery was on the 25th. I think that I held my breath from the 11th to the 22nd! I was sure that we wouldn't hear anything and my surgery would have to be put off until April. I hope that yours goes quicker so you don't stress as much as I did! Henry and Heather really helped keeping me calm during that time....they are great people and will do everything to make sure that you get approved in time!

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Melissa

That's great! I feel the same way! The only thing I was waiting for was my funding, which is coming out of a savings account. The managers of the account said it would take 4-6 weeks to process the request and get the check out to me. I sent the request out 2 weeks ago and the check came in the mail today! Now I just have to call the Dr. and let him know we can go ahead with the tentative date we had planned on. I can hardly believe this is really going to happen! I'm so excited!

Good luck to you!

Hi.. I'm new to the forum but have been reading it for quite some time. I find this process to be quite quick for me as well. I went to a seminar on the 31st and since I am self pay the surgery was basically on my own time table. I am doing my pre-op appts this week and am tentatively scheduled to be banded on april 14th. While I am more than excited about starting this journey I am also a bit nervous & overwhelmed. I'm a nurse that's scared of shots!ha So I can definitely understand where you're coming from. I think the best we can do is research & fully understand the risks & rules of this procedure. Knowledge tends to create confidence. I wish you the best of luck & ill let you know how mine goes! =)