Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"Pre-Op"...BOY was I wrong!

Hey everyone.

I'm kind of struggling right now. Kind of ashamed to admit, I've been reading everyones "pre-op" posts and kind of thinking to myself how are all of these people actually COMPLAINING or having a hard time with the pre op process?? Just knowing that its needed to go through with surgery makes it incredibly easy.

So here I am, 10 days before surgery, freaking out over this pre-op thing. I was truly under the impression that I didnt even need a pre-op diet, because the office didnt put any emphasis on it what-so-ever... until pre-op day. Now I'm stuck wondering if I'm eating the right broth, and wondering if I'm doing everything right. STARVING and craving real food. But thats the smallest issue of it all.

Here is my biggest problem. I'm a smoker. I thought FOR SURE it would be more than enough to quit, knowing that its for this surgery. Last night was supposed to be my last time smoking. I went to work this morning, struggled to keep it together, and by lunchtime, I was in panic mode. I NEEDED a ciggarette. And of course, had one. And then another. Total of three for the day. I feel so quilty, but I'm having SO much trouble quitting. I intend to stop again for good tomorrow. I better...

Any suggestions???? :scared2:

It's all in your head. You know what is best for you, now you have to convince yourself.

I did a 3 week pre-op of nothing but shakes and had no problem with hunger or anything else.

I quit smoking after almost 30 years of smoking using Nicotrol Inhalers. This wasn't hard either.

Keep a positive attitude and you can do this.

If you go into it feeling you are going to fail, then you probably will.

Now, head up and get back in there!!!

I had smoked since I was 13, and at 18 I had suspected I was pregnant. I walked into Walmart smoking a cig, bought a pregnancy test, took it in the walmart bathroom, found a big fat positive, and threw all of my cigs away. I haven't touched them since, and that was 5 years ago. I think I was able to do it so easily because I knew that it wasn't just ME I was harming--I was caring for another life. I didn't miss it one bit:( Sorry.

Most of here are addicts...we've been food addicts and when you take away the food we use another addiction, in your case cigerattes!

You are doing the right thing by admitting it and making yourself accountalbe.

Keep using this board as a way to work through the addiction; once the nicotine is out of your system it will be better!

Good luck!

At 18 I smoked but was able to not smoke for days, I smoked for 29 years almost 2 packs a day. When the taxes went up last year, it finally reached a price I refused to pay. I quit smoking on May 5, 2009 and am almost to 1 year. I was the one nobody thought would quit.

I wanted to say that to let you know it can be done. I am sorry you have the stress of surgery also, that is a double whammy.

My help for quitting was typing in a journal, I typed and typed every time I wanted to smoke. I stayed away from the other people in my life for a while too because my mood was sour and very bad.

It's very dangerous to be put under for surgery if you smoke.

My lap band center insists you quit 3 months prior to surgery and also not even use nicotine replacement one month prior to surgery.

I hope you find peace with this, I know it is such a hard thing to do. When you do it you will be so proud of yourself.

The best advice I can give is to not waste alot of energy feeling guilty. Quitting smoking is hard. I quit smoking 15yrs ago. I went on a health kick..stopped carbs..sugar..caffiene and nicotine at once. It threw my body into shock and I started having panic attacks. Not smart..lol You're doing the pre-op diet and trying to quit smoking at once...it's gonna be hard but you WILL get thru it. Just try to not be so hard on yourself if you slip up ..3 cigs are better than what you were doing and some people need to taper down. The first 3-4 days are the hardest because your body is withdrawing but after that it's a mental addiction..the habit of accually smoking after eatting..while driving..with coffee etc. Cut yourself SOME slack..you're making big changes for the better!

Hi BriBri,

I quit smoking when I was 20. I had smoked for 5 years and just one day asked myself WHY I smoked. Once I spelled out for myself the obvious (it was expensive, smelled bad, and was unhealthy) I just set my mind on quitting...and I did. That's just what worked for me - I had to WANT to quit.

I'm 31 now and never picked smoking up again. I know it's hard but it's especially important for you to quit due to the increased risks of surgery with smokers.

You can do it!

Hey everyone.

I'm kind of struggling right now. Kind of ashamed to admit, I've been reading everyones "pre-op" posts and kind of thinking to myself how are all of these people actually COMPLAINING or having a hard time with the pre op process?? Just knowing that its needed to go through with surgery makes it incredibly easy.

So here I am, 10 days before surgery, freaking out over this pre-op thing. I was truly under the impression that I didnt even need a pre-op diet, because the office didnt put any emphasis on it what-so-ever... until pre-op day. Now I'm stuck wondering if I'm eating the right broth, and wondering if I'm doing everything right. STARVING and craving real food. But thats the smallest issue of it all.

Here is my biggest problem. I'm a smoker. I thought FOR SURE it would be more than enough to quit, knowing that its for this surgery. Last night was supposed to be my last time smoking. I went to work this morning, struggled to keep it together, and by lunchtime, I was in panic mode. I NEEDED a ciggarette. And of course, had one. And then another. Total of three for the day. I feel so quilty, but I'm having SO much trouble quitting. I intend to stop again for good tomorrow. I better...

Any suggestions???? :)

Bri,

You did the right thing by cutting back. I myself smoked 2 packs a day when I went to my first seminar back in Sept. '09 and they straight up told me I had to quit. I myself couldn't imagine quitting cold turkey and trying to remain on a diet. So, after finally meeting with my surgeon, he even advised me to not do both at once. I had my surgery on March 18th, and now I smoke less than half a pack a day. I'm not proud that I still smoke, however, for me it's "baby-steps." My surgery all went fine and I was actually discharged the day of my surgery, instead of having to spend a night in the hospital. I'm still working on cutting back to the point of quitting and I know I'll get there! :)

Good luck with your journey, you'll do great. Keep your head up!

Tina

I'm not a smoker but my addiction to cokes is tough to break! I love to drink sodas. And eat. I have really begun to think that I am so scared of not being able to eat anything I want. I am on day nine of 19 days of pre-op starvation. My surgery date is 04-01. Being a 12 pack a day soda drinker is hard to break. Yes, I know it is better for me but I sure do miss my ol' buddy diet coke.

I was a smoker for over 20 years. But my doctor stressed to me that they would not even consider me for the surgery if I test positive. It was hard but I would look at a picture of myself before I had all this extra weight and then I would let the feelings to smoke pass. I have been smoke free for only a month so it is still something that I am working on. But dont give up. Call those smoking help lines. Good luck

Hi Bri, I just wanted to let you know that you can do it! You may need some help like the gum or an inhaler that will step you down slowly and help with the cravings, but you CAN do it!

I was able to quit a couple weeks before I had surgery. I had to use regular gum because I was addicted to the oral aspect. I needed to have something going on with my mouth. I still do this because the addiction rolls over to food and snacking becomes my big issue so I chew gum to help me on that front now.

You may, as a lot of smokers do, know the harm of smoking but just to put it out there:

The nicotine from cigarettes shrinks/tightens the blood vessels, impeding the flow of blood increasing the amount of time it takes to heal from anything. It helped me A LOT to know this piece of information as I didn't want to slow the healing process or make my body work that much harder.

Smoking makes exercise SO much harder because of the loss of oxygen and stress the lungs are already under from the tar build up. The carbon monoxide from smoking steals oxygen from your body making you tired and fatigued much quicker.

It's for your health. You wouldn't be getting a surgery if your health wasn't important to you, right? Just remember YOU CAN DO IT!

Thanks so much everyone for all this support! I REALLY appreciate it from the bottom of my heart! Dont know what I would do without you guys! :)

Just to update you, I'm still struggling with totally putting the ciggs down, but I'm getting much better. I plan to completely quit 100% by Monday. I dont really have much of a choice at this point. And I want it to be the end, I dont plan to start again.

I just met with my surgeon today, all is going as planned. Surgery is happening next Fri, the 26th and I am beyond excited!

The liquid diet has been somewhat difficult, but totally manageable. I'm so excited for my new life to begin...

Good luck everyone and thanks soooo much for all of your support! We will ALL win this battle TOGETHER!:)

Bri,

Good luck to you, you can do it!! Good luck with your surgery too! I hope all goes well for you.

Tina

BriBri...I know how your feeling when it comes to quitting smoking.. When i started this journey last year and found out my surgeon expected me to be smoke free 2mo prior to surgery I freaked. I loved smoking. Then one night out with some friends I got extremely Intoxicated and ended up with alcohol poisening. I was sick for 3 days. I didn't even want to think about smoking or drinking again. Once I felt back to my old self I wanted to smoke again but thought its been 3 days why start back when im going to have to quit for the surgery. I was a total "B" to everyone around me.. I finally decided tl try tic tacs. THEY ARE AMAZING!!!! They curbed my withdrawls and helped me drastically. My quit dayis July 18 2009. and i feel great.. I can breath so much better and my skin looks alot healthier. Best Of Luck and I know you can do it.

I'm not a smoker but I have read of others here who have used Chantix to help them stop smoking. You may want to ask either your PCP or your surgeon for a prescription. It will help you not only quit for the surgery itself, but stay quit after the surgery.

Good luck!