Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 2 of pre-op diet and HUNGRY!

I'm excited, two weeks from now the surgery will be over and my new life will be started - but right now, I'm hungry! My pre-op diet is slim fast type shake for Breakfast, same for lunch, and a lean cuisine and salad greens w/spray dressing for dinner. I know I can do this, it's only two weeks, and I'm OK during the day, but the evenings are tough!

For a lot of us there was no lean cuisine meals. It was straight shakes for 2 or more weeks. You have it easy. Use that as your motivation.

Look forward to the reward; the weight loss and better health. Don't think about the hunger or the food you aren't eating.

Thousands of us have done it and we were all felt hunger too. You can do it!

2 weeks before my band i had shakes 3 times a day and vegi and salad for dinner as well i found drinking lots of Water was a great help , hang in there believe me its all worth it ggod luck u will never lok back these 2 weeks are the hardest :smile2:

2 weeks before my band i had shakes 3 times a day and vegi and salad for dinner as well i found drinking lots of Water was a great help , hang in there believe me its all worth it ggod luck u will never lok back these 2 weeks are the hardest :smile2:

Thanks so much for the encouragement, I was so worried that I would be starving after surgery and dreading the 3 weeks of liquid diet, but if this is as bad as it gets I know I can hang in there. I just want the growling hungry monster in my tummy to go away!

It gets easier! When your liver starts releasing its glycogen stores, you'll feel lots better :biggrin:

Hang in there! You can totally do this. I know it's hard, but you've got it under control :biggrin:

My question is im a diabetic. I dont think i can go on with only liquid diet. I get hypoglycimic if i dont eat. Does any one of you guys diabetic but can tolerate everything?

My question is im a diabetic. I dont think i can go on with only liquid diet. I get hypoglycimic if i dont eat. Does any one of you guys diabetic but can tolerate everything?

You may want to start a new thread with diabetes in the title. That way you will have a better chance of getting replies.

Somebody was talking about getting sugar from tubes of glucose or cake frosting yesterday.

Today is day 2 for me also and I do get hungry every couple of hours. I have three shakes and Soups in between. I keep telling myself I can do this and just focus on today. I can't wait until March 24. My family is so supportive. My kids keep reminding me Mommy you're gonna get thin. I love their enthusiasm.

It gets easier! When your liver starts releasing its glycogen stores, you'll feel lots better :blushing:

Can you explain about the liver releasing glycogen stores? Thank you.

You guys are doing awesome!! Keep up the good work. You give all of us that are waiting to have this experience hope!! You can do it!!! Every day you are closer to your new life!!!

Well done!!

I am diabetic and currently on day 5 of the pre-op diet. My diet consists of two Bariatric Advantage Protein shakes a day, along with a bowl of vegetable Soup at night. That is it.

I have monitoring my blood sugar levels about 5 times a day to make sure that I don't fall too low. I was on Metformin and Januvia, but have since stopped the Januvia under the guidance of my diabetes doctor. I am only eating about 500 calories a day, but I haven't fallen too low yet.

Make sure that you test your blood sugar often and stay in contact with your diabetes doctor. He/she will be able to help you through this pre-op diet. It is hard....and you will have horrible headaches from being a bit low, but you will survive!

Good luck to you!!

Just an update for those who are a week or more further out than me - it DOES get easier! I've been on pre-op 2 weeks and it's gotten better. Even went out to friends' houses for dinner a couple of times, just brought my own little frozen dinner, explained I am on a diet, asked to use their microwave, and having gone through all of that made it easier to stick to it (although not having a glass of wine was the hardest part :-) Have learned to sub steamed broccoli or spinach for the salad and use it to stretch the mini-meals. Lost 10 lbs, 2 more days of pre-op diet to go and then Thursday is the big day.

Took a long walk on the beach yesterday and found a seahorse, the first in 40 yrs of beachcombing, so that's got to be a good omen! Then saw a shooting star last night. So all of the weight loss Gods are smiling on me, it's going to be an awesome journey! :wub:

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wiauoXe/]

weight.png

[/url]

Edited by KarenCI
add ticker

I am currently at the end of day 6 on the Optifast program that my doc requires. It consists of 800 cals per day. One shake for Breakfast, one shake for lunch and a powdered Soup that I reconstitute for supper. Two Optifast bars are also in the program for mid morning and mid afternoon Snacks.

I have found that I am really not stomach hungry. That is not to say my head doesn't tell me that a hamburger or whatever else would not taste great at the time. I have found that if I eat about every 2.5 hrs I am really not hungry. I am however very thirsty and have been drinking Water like a fish. I have found eating my food VERY slowly (ie: making it last at least 20-30 minutes) makes me slow down and helps the hunger thing. I think this is also good training post banding as we are all supposed to chew really really well and then chew again as well as taking our time.

I figure I can do anything for two weeks. It is really a head game. If you are dertermined, you will do it. PS. SF Jello is allowed at times by my Doc and it does help for cravings. Again, eat it with a baby spoon if necessary. Good luck.

Being banded on the 24th....Ruthie:w00t:

Edited by Ruthie1974
misspelling