Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trouble with pre op liquid diet!!!!

ok... so i started my liquid diet yesterday. the shakes i ordered from Bariatric Advantage (linked through my doc's office) have never come in and i'm working on trying to find out where they are. so i've been using some shakes i bought at the grocery store. but anyway... i'm supposed to have three to four shakes a day, two Protein Bars, and other liquids and that's it. well, it's been really hard. yesterday i had some canned chicken and a few pieces of cheese in addition to my shakes and other liquids. today i had some tuna and cheese. not a whole lot. yesterday was like one little can of chicken and three small pieces of cheese. today has been the one tuna patty thingy and two small pieces of cheese. is this ok? it's all mainly Protein and not a lot of carbs or anything. what do ya'll think? i'm having such a hard time with this. i feel like crap. my husband is doing it with me to be supportive he says but i think the fact that he's handling it so well while i'm not is really just making me feel worse.

I'd call your doc tomorrow morning. My doc had me on 3 slim fasts a day (the Walmart brand tastes the same and is cheaper), plus one Barriatric Advantage shake per day. If I wanted, I was allowed to substitute a small garden salad for one of the slim fasts - but he said NO cheese, bacon, etc. on top. Just grown-from-the-ground veggies and FF dressing.

I know every doc is different, and allow different things. But mine was very strict about NO solid foods of any kind. He warned that he would be able to tell if I had stuck to my diet and that if my liver hadn't shrunk enough, I would probably wake up in recovery without the band.

Don't wanna scare ya - but you may want to try a different type of shake instead of meats and cheeses. :biggrin:

PS...you're feeling the exact same way I did when I started the pre-op diet. The first 3 days on straight liquids are HELL. But if you can survive it, the 4th day is soooo much better! :biggrin: Hang in there!! :laugh:

My doctor wanted my stomach and intestines empty for the surgery besides the liver thing, that is why he had me on shakes.

1)You may be thinking, oh I just wont tell him, but there was a thread about a week ago about a lady who didn't tell her doctor everything and she died. This is your life you are messing with.

2)Amy is right about him taking a peak inside and see that you haven't been following directions and sewing you back up without a band.

3) The band doesn't work by itself, if you cant stick to the pre-op diet, how are you going to work with the band after?

I hope this doesn't sound too harsh (because I am saying it out of the hope I can save you a lot of trouble) but you need to take a serious look at your motivation and determine if you are going to be able to follow the after band diet. There are several times that you will be on shakes only, after surgery (2 weeks), after fills (2 days) and after any stuck episodes (2 days). These aren't for fun and games if you don't follow the shakes only part after the band you can ruin your health. Call your Doctor's office tomorrow morning and lay it on the line for them, your health depends on it.

(Sorry but my mommy gene just took over)

I go to my preop visit on Tuesday and I will get the Optifast then, my doctor insists on using it exclusively for two weeks prior to surgery. I am okay with that, a little freaked out about not being able to chew anything for two weeks prior to surgery but I can do anything after 30 hours of hard labor with my first child..:biggrin:

So my question is, does it get easier after the three days? Really? And what should I expect when I go through it? Thanks.

BTW, good luck on your liquid diet.< /p>

what do ya'll think? i'm having such a hard time with this. i feel like crap.
It IS hard--it truly is. But ALL of our bodies have more than enough energy reserves to sustain us during the preop diet. We don't get woozy from lack of food---our bodies are storing enough food to tide us over through a famine.

We like to eat, and we're used to eating---and it's very hard not to. But this mostly comes from our minds, not our bodies.

UNLESS you're accustomed to eating a lot of sugar and refined carb, and didn't taper off before the preop diet. In that case, you might be experiencing--as some people do---some degree of "withdrawal." It passes quickly.

Be sure to take in your Protein at regular intervals; space it out over the course of the day/evening so that you're getting a good, steady supply. That will help get your blood sugar on an even keel. As your liver starts releasing its glycogen (carbohydrate) stores, you'll feel lots better.

IMO, it's really important to stick to your doctor's plan---even though it's hard. If you really find that you can't, do give him a call to see if there is any leeway.

But do remember that this is just the beginning of many changes that will be required of you; you CAN do it.

Every Doctor is so different. My pre-op is 2 shakes, Breakfast and lunch, and then a lean cuisine for dinner, and a piece of fruit, SF Jello. I was told by nutritionist and my Dr its more important that you get at least 60 grams of Protein, and around 1000 calories a day, no matter how you get it, just limit fat.

thank you all for your responses. i'm really glad that some of ya'll were totally bluntly honest. i need that!!! i haven't had anything else solid since this morning and i'm going to make sure i stick to this better. it's just sooo hard!!! it frustrates me to know that a friend of mine had the same lapband surgery with the same doctor a year ago and she didn't have to do a liquid diet. they didn't make any of their patients do it back then but now they have started making their patients do it and i'm one of them. sigh! i will get through this. thank you all for your help. ya'll are wonderful!!!!

Here is a trick I used on myself, "I can do anything for 1 day, so today I am not going to eat anything solid, I don't know what I am going to do tomorrow but I am going to make it through today." Then the next day I said that same thing and then I added "besides if I eat something today the amount that I suffered yesterday will be wasted so I am not going to eat anything solid today..." and so on until the time is up.

By the way, I had a small unfil today so I am on liquids for today and tomorrow, too. And I plan on using this trick to make it......

I am okay with that, a little freaked out about not being able to chew anything for two weeks prior to surgery .

sugar free Jello really came in handy during this phase. I also needed the feeling of being able to chew something, and Jello did the trick.

weight.png

Hi,

My Doc has me on two shakes per day, lean meat and veggie for dinner and a fruit, SF Jello etc for snake. This is day four and it is definitely hard. Doing a lot of traveling so it has had its challenges. I think I could do better with meat and veggie. For example, I had broccoli and a crab cake no filler in the crab cake 100% meat Maryland style. I will go for more leaner meat for the remainder of the time. I can't imagine not being able to have my surgery because I couldn't do this. Thanks for all the honesty, I too needed to stay focused on this process.

it frustrates me to know that a friend of mine had the same LAP-BAND® surgery with the same doctor a year ago and she didn't have to do a liquid diet. they didn't make any of their patients do it back then
I would wager they learned a hard lesson, and changed their approach for a very valid reason: your safety.

Please do your best to stick to the plan.

Hi I also am in my liquid stage of the pre op.The information that I recieved was 'NO' it's not ok to nibble here and there to curb the hunger,but I would like to know of one over weight person who can do this 100%.So don't be discouraged and try to do better one day at a time.It is very hard but it will be worth it.Good luck.:thumbup:My pre op diet is (4) 237ml Boost/day for two weeks.

Edited by cubby

Today is day 22 and the final day of my pre-op diet.

I have been drinking 5 Optifast shakes a day and enjoying them.

I did consider cheating a couple of times but chose not to. I have not had solid food for over 3 weeks and have not been hungry. I do miss it but I don't crave it.

It's all about convincing yourself that your goal is more important than a quick fix. Keep your eyes on the prizes and good luck!!

Hi I also am in my liquid stage of the pre op.The information that I recieved was 'NO' it's not ok to nibble here and there to curb the hunger,but I would like to know of one over weight person who can do this 100%.

I've done it for 3 weeks and I'd like to think I am in the majority.

I'm an ex-smoker (5 months), compulsive gambler and a week-end alcoholic. I point this out to let you know that I have less willpower than most. If I can do the pre-op without a nibble, anyone can if they want to.