Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

banded, banding, bands--verb--To assemble or unite in a group

Elfie--the Zumba DVDs can get quite pricy. I got a set of 4 on eBay for $35 plus shipping. On the site itsel, they have the total transformation set on there for like $65, but as with a lot of weight loss DVDs, a lot of that stuff you will never use. EBay has always worked well for me.

Bob- God speed my good man. See you on the other side! We're all thinking of you and pulling for you!!

Hi Juliansmom, another east coast early riser on this thread. I've never done zumba, although I work out every day,and see a trainer. I'm thinking it may be fun - and wondering if it's something my 10 year old daughter would have fun doing with me (always looking for opportunities to have good clean fun with my kids - that was one of my motivations for surgery). Please let me know if you like the set, and if you think it would be fun to do with a 10 year old.

BTW, to those who started and are keeping this thread going, I love seeing the great attitude on this board. I look forward to seeing what's posted.

Bob--BEST wishes for a safe, uneventful banding today! You will do awesome!

The rest of y'all have to wait until I get some caffeine in me. We are such a chatty bunch! (I love this thread...it really is motivating!)

Edited by BetsyB

Wait a minute...isn't cortisol the thing that causes you to put on belly fat rather than overall?

Great...I'm *never* going to get rid of this buddha belly. :w00t:

Long before it puts on belly fat, it puts on Water weight.

It can be combatted by...well, eating the way you're eating! The belly fat's not destiny. The Water weight might be--but at least IT'S ephemeral.

Well, the day is finally here. Today is the day my BMI dropped below 40! I am no longer morbidly obese.

Oh yeah, I am having surgery or something in a few hours too.

Thanks for all of the well wishes folks and even the prayers.

I will have a full report when I get back. I hope there's some gross stuff, because I love posting it just to get a rise out of people.

Bob! TWO milestones in one day---amazing!

You will be in my thoughts today--I know you will take it all in stride and be walking the halls tonight, raring to get on with your new life.

I can't wait to hear how WELL it went!

ETA: If you all can spare some healing thoughts, my husband, Mark, was taken to the hospital by ambulance last night for unremitting chest pain. The jury's still out on whether he had a heart attack. (Enzymes aren't all back yet.) Having been down this road before, I think it's likely the worst is yet to come--just based on how he feels this morning. (He's been known to go in, only to conveniently have a heart attack where they can observe its occurrence in the cardiac cath lab; considerate dude, no?) He has a history of catastrophic MI with resulting congestive heart failure. He is also an insulin-dependent diabetic---and right now is a metabolic mess. His hospital visits often have a sort of routine, predictable feel to them. This one feels different to me.

So, good thoughts would be appreciated. My kids could use 'em, too. Thank goodness my daughter is home for spring break--it's much easier to reassure her when she's in the same room!

Off to blow off steam with Truman, then to submerge myself in work so that I can be free to go to the hospital later in the day.

I hope everyone else has a CALM, catastrophe-free day!

Edited by BetsyB

Betsy--I have no idea what to say other than my thoughts will be with you and your family today..You are probably one of the most thoughtful people I have ever ran into, your husband is at the hospital and you reassuring BrianBob. I am hoping that the hospital can get your husband back into the metabolic shape he needs to be in and the process is as easy on you and your kids as possible.

So I am officially declaring today to be positive thoughts (or prayers, whichever you prefer) for BrianBob and Betsy day.

Bob! TWO milestones in one day---amazing!

You will be in my thoughts today--I know you will take it all in stride and be walking the halls tonight, raring to get on with your new life.

I can't wait to hear how WELL it went!

ETA: If you all can spare some healing thoughts, my husband, Mark, was taken to the hospital by ambulance last night for unremitting chest pain. The jury's still out on whether he had a heart attack. (Enzymes aren't all back yet.) Having been down this road before, I think it's likely the worst is yet to come--just based on how he feels this morning. (He's been known to go in, only to conveniently have a heart attack where they can observe its occurrence in the cardiac cath lab; considerate dude, no?) He has a history of catastrophic MI with resulting congestive heart failure. He is also an insulin-dependent diabetic---and right now is a metabolic mess. His hospital visits often have a sort of routine, predictable feel to them. This one feels different to me.

So, good thoughts would be appreciated. My kids could use 'em, too. Thank goodness my daughter is home for spring break--it's much easier to reassure her when she's in the same room!

Off to blow off steam with Truman, then to submerge myself in work so that I can be free to go to the hospital later in the day.

I hope everyone else has a CALM, catastrophe-free day!

Betsy,

You, Mark and your family are in our prayers. You have such a great outlook and give so much to so many of us here. I'm glad your daughter can be with you. Unfortunately I know the drill, growing up my dad had a similar history (excluding he diabetic componenet), so I understand a little of what you are going thru, and my heart sank when u say this one feels different. My husband, Tom, will be sending thoughts and prayers your way too.

Thanks Gloria et al.

Leaving here in 12 minutes.

Betsy, forget about me. Concentrate all of your thoughts and prayers on your husband. Unfortunately, I speak from experience and the cath lab is no fun!

I hope everything works out for Mark.

My thoughts and prayers are with you Besty and BT! All day!!

I went to a support group meeting last night on Behavior Modification. It was run by the psychologist at my surgeon's office. It was interesting and she gave some helpful tips, some of which I already do. I find the meetings helpful and keep me in check. My weight continues to come off slowly as I don't do much exercise (need knee replacement in both knees).

J's mom I do get that little pain inbetween my breast bones telling me I'm full and last night go Flame Broiler with no rice and first bite got stuck. I hadn't eaten in 6 hours and was hungry but there was nothing I could do about it. But to answer your questions I do get a the feeling almost everytime. I would think you know your body best and should tell your surgeon if you are not restricted. This would anger me too. Have you noticed a difference with this new fill? Are you more restricted?

Anyway, you all have a great day and we will be thinking of BT and Betsy's family....well wishes for everybody...

Thanks Gloria et al.

Leaving here in 12 minutes.

Betsy, forget about me. Concentrate all of your thoughts and prayers on your husband. Unfortunately, I speak from experience and the cath lab is no fun!

I hope everything works out for Mark.

Can't believe we are hearing from you already! Thanks for posting so quickly - I guess your official now!!

My thoughts and prayers are with you Besty and BT! All day!!

I went to a support group meeting last night on Behavior Modification. It was run by the psychologist at my surgeon's office. It was interesting and she gave some helpful tips, some of which I already do. I find the meetings helpful and keep me in check. My weight continues to come off slowly as I don't do much exercise (need knee replacement in both knees).

J's mom I do get that little pain inbetween my breast bones telling me I'm full and last night go Flame Broiler with no rice and first bite got stuck. I hadn't eaten in 6 hours and was hungry but there was nothing I could do about it. But to answer your questions I do get a the feeling almost everytime. I would think you know your body best and should tell your surgeon if you are not restricted. This would anger me too. Have you noticed a difference with this new fill? Are you more restricted?

Anyway, you all have a great day and we will be thinking of BT and Betsy's family....well wishes for everybody...

J'smom and others in search of a good fill. If it's any consolation, it took me a long time to get to my sweet spot It was frustrating, but I really learned to use my band along the way, and I did get there - and I will still get a small fill when I think I need it. I am one of those people who is sensitive to a small amount of Fluid, so adding a few drops was the difference between a good fill and being hungry for me. (it was a good thing that the cost of all my fills was included in my surgeon's one-time fee; I was cash pay) I think its and art and a science. I also found that it's super important to be able to describe what u feel to your doctor. Here are some things to talks about - how much plain white meat chicken can you comfortably eat in one 20 minute sitting (no food lube) and 2) how long since your last meal do you go until you start feeling really hungry - and that doesn't mean you passed a Taco Bell sign. Anyone who wants more on this, I actually put together a powerpoint slide to talk about it with my surgeon. I'm happy to email it to you if you PM me with an email address. Don't think I can post a powerpoint here. Yes, for those who are asking, I'll eventually, lpost it on my blog, but I haven't gotten there yet...

illuminationlady - would be interested to hear some of the tips you picked up at support group. I'm always eager to add to my bag of tricks to continue to maintain.

Yuck! Stop eating that crap. It's nasty!

I know it is convenient but it is really no good for you. If you want fast precooked food, try the deli in the supermarket. Granted there is no drive thru but you'll feel much better afterward.

16:15 until I check in.

Getting anxious like I am forgetting to do something but the only instructions I have are: don't eat or drink anything after midnight; take a pepcid before going to bed and take a couple of showers with the special soap.

For those who don't know and may care, my name is Bob but I am going to start responding to Brian as well. It started here earlier this week and I didn't correct the person. Now, at least a half dozen others have referred to me as Brian.

Oh well, I get called far worse all of the time. :thumbup:

Oh, I know....now! That was the first time I had a fast food burger I know since being banded and probably a while before that.

But the chicken selects actaully aren't that bad for you...I get those all the time if I have to get fast food. I was just craving a burger and it was totally not worth it...lesson learned!

BT, congrats!

Besty, my prayers are with you and your family!

Despite my garbage feast last night, I saw 290 this morning! Not recording it, but it was nice to see. I will workout and extra half hour tonight, that should get rid of about half of that McDouble!

Saw an old classmate at the store last night and he told me I hadn't aged a bit. I blushed! The a couple of weeks ago another old classmate told me the same thing, and a few weeks before that some random little girl told me I was really pretty! Wow! Now, I've heard this all before, but now I'm starting to believe it! :-)

Have a good day people!

Liz, WTG on the 290! (Why wouldn't you record it?) How about some pictures? Betsy finally came across with some.

illuminationlady--I live too far from my surgeon to go to any classes, have you thought about a summary post or blog on what your psychologist's tips were? I would be interested. (If you don't have time I understand.)

BrianBob--Never underestimate the power of the written word. (OK I have milked the brian thing for all its worth, I will just call you Bob now.) Congratulations on joining the land of the banded.

Betsy--I am thinking of you and your family.

Jen & J'smom--Hi y'all!

I got to start eating food today! Yea me! After too tight for 10 days and then 2 days of liquids after the unfill, I was more than ready. For those of you who think too tight is the way to go, I spent 10 miserable days not eating and getting 500 calories a day then 2 days on liquids and I still only lost 6 pounds in 12 days. I usually lose 2 a week so I would have lost 4 anyway. So, the moral of the story is, too tight=1 extra pound a week, not worth it!

Edited by LeighaMason
typo

Leigha,

Glad you're feeling better and can eat again!

With my weighing, I promised myself to only record my weight on Friday afternoon/evenings to avoid messing with my head. I've been known to flux 2-3lbs in a day and that's when it's likely the highest during the day. Just like Saturday morning I was 292, but Saturday evening I was 294. Before when I did that and actually logged it, even though I knew why and expected that I would weigh more later in the day, it really bummed me out! So, now I see a good number in the morning, pat myself on the back and hope I can see that number or less on Friday. And I usually see my surgeon on Friday afternoons for the "official" weight, so that's why I chose that day.

Pictures, ah yes! LOL! I actually took photos of myself, belly & all the night before surgery and have been meaning to do the same "poses" for the whole then & now effect, but I just have not gotten around to doing it. I will try to at least put something up after my workout tonight so you guys can at least know that I am a human being. :-)

I wish I would have taken a before picture of me in the pants I have on now because in November they were pretty tight and now they look like clown pants!

Quitting time...yay! Hour drive home..boo! Catch you guys later!

Edited by DizzyLizzy
stupid fingers!