Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Kansas City bandsters???????

I'm in Warrensburg and will be banded by Dr. Malley on Thursday (4/28). I'm nervous, excited, anxious, etc. I have been reading these forums for about a month and love the support I see. I may try to attend some of the support meetings at New Hope but given the distance, I'm glad to know that I have this online option. I'm happy to read about all the success stories!!

How is everyone doing? And NSV? Are you more excited about this summer coming up?

I love the sun and I'm super happy to see it. Already got a sun burn on my chest from one day. I've been getting some great deals on smaller sizes and need to get rid of larger clothes.

Post an update on how your doing.

Hi KC Bandsters! Here's an update on my progress:

I was banded September 16, 2010 by Dr. Malley. The New Hope staff really took great care of me and Dr. Malley is a very skilled surgeon with a very witty humor; quiet, but very funny. I have not done so well with the band. I've had a lot of problems with any amount of fill and have experienced bandster hell many times until I got an unfill. I lost 10 pounds pre-op and had only lost 17 pounds post-op as of March, 2011. I found myself sick most of the time and in a great deal of discomfort. However, New Hope was great at checking me out to ensure no slips happened and that the band looked good under floroscopy. As soon as I'd start to recover and go in for another fill, the same thing would happen - I'd get sick and be unable to keep anything down, even liquid. However, I managed to continue working out several times a week but developed very unhealthy patterns of eating because of all the problems with keeping food down. I couldn't do Protein at all except in Protein Shakes and yogurt. I was starving all the time, but could not eat. During the times I was able to keep liquids down, I drank all of my calories and naturally, I would get so sick of protein shakes that I would go for the stuff that packs on pounds just to get a change from the protein shakes, which I did not seem to lose with. Hell...truly. I let my tummy rest after the last unfill and it seemed I was able to at least keep some food down and was actually able to maintain my weight rather than lose and gain the same 10 pounds between fills and unfills.

So.....after 5 months passed I returned to my PCP, who shared her experience with HCG. I was so tired of being sick and so discouraged that I decided to give it a go in March. I lost 24 pounds in 30 days and have finally been able to eat the protein my body needed so badly. I'm scheduled for another round of HCG and am 50 pounds from goal. It's the first time in my life that my physical hunger has been controlled. I expected the band to at least help with a portion of my physical hunger like it did for so many of my friends. But, it didn't really do much for my hunger, even when I was so tight that I couldn't keep anything but Water down. Since it had been over two months since my last fill, I decided to go in for a tiny fill. That's why I had the band, right? Well, the same thing happened. I went and had a little unfill and still I have been puking all weekend.

I really regret the decision I made to get banded. For me, unlike several of my friends, it did nothing at all to curb my hunger. I never got to the point of not feeling like I have a ball in my stomach and always feel irritated. I know I'm not the norm and that others have had great results. I believe my body does not react well to the band and will be discussing what my options are to at least have a complete unfill or possible removal. I can't live like this anymore.

The support groups are great and I really recommend them. To those of you considering if New Hope is a good choice, I would tell you not to hesitate about the quality and skill of Dr. Malley and his nursing staff. You are in great hands!

anyone know of a doc in MO that does fills on foreign bands?

Weight Loss Surgical Center in Overland Park and Independence will fill bands put in elsewhere. Last time I was there it was $250 a fill with flouroscopy or you could do a contract for 6 months unlimited for $1000.

I am using Dr. Ferring as well and I was wondering how things went for you..Your experiences in general before and after surgery. I live in Lansing currently so Im close to KC. You can send me a personal message if you would like. Thanks so much in advance.

Hey all! I'm new to the board. I live in Shawnee and am getting banded tomorrow by Dr Fearing at New Hope Bariatrics. Does anyone participate in the support group there? I'm totally spooked about surgery tomorrow, and it has more to do with the lack of control going under and coming out of surgery.

I was banded yesterday by Dr. Malley. I am in Independence.

I'm not in Kansas City - I'm in Australia - but I did a year at KU in Lawrence, so I feel kinda local to you guys! Hi, everyone! :lol:

I had my surgery in June 2010 and could not be happier with things!! Dr. Hoehn, of Shawnee Mission Medical Center, did it. I love the staff there and have always felt well taken care of!!!

Good luck to you!! You will do great!!!