Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op diet question...

I too am a newbie and will take your suggestions to try different Protein drinks before surgery. What no one is answering is what does the band feel like and the port feel like after surgery after a month, two months. Can you feel them, are they noticable to unsuspecting people?

Nope, they aren't noticeable at all! Most folks don't even notice the scars unless you point them out. I can find my port with my fingers if I press and dig around in the general area, but that's it.

Yeah, try the different Protein Drinks. I wasn't on them long at all, and my doc was more worried about carbs. I was an unhappy camper during the pre-op diet, but it was SOOO worth it! Really, guys. Bear up. It's temporary. I made Soups and broths, then froze half of what I made for my liquid Post-Op Phase. Use Jello and sugar free Popsicles to give yourself treats. Go hunt up Torani and DaVinci sugar free syrups to flavor your coffee, tea, and yogurts. You miss your old bad diet a whole lot less when you have flavors to enjoy.

Really, sprinkle glitter in your hair and call yourself a circus poodle for all the hoops you jump through, but it's really worth all the effort. Do it now and enjoy this coming year!

Lena

I too am a newbie and will take your suggestions to try different Protein drinks before surgery. What no one is answering is what does the band feel like and the port feel like after surgery after a month, two months. Can you feel them, are they noticable to unsuspecting people?

At one month postop I felt like I had a tumor growing on my stomach and it was misshapen. At two months, not so noticeable. At 3 months, I can't see it at all.

Most days I forget it's even there.

Every doc's requirements are different. Mine did not require any special preopdiet other than liquids the day before surgery.

I am also a type 2 diabetic and wondering if another type 2 can give me any insight into liquid diets and LAP-BAND®.:thumbup:

I am a type 2 The doctor took me off one of my meds. I have been on the Optifast liquid diet since January 7th. I really haven't had any trouble with my sugars.

My surgeon gives several options, one of which is Medifast 5+1, which is what I chose. It's required for at least 2 weeks pre-surgery...I've been on it since late January, and have lost about 20 pounds. It's so motivating to see the weight loss begin!!

I've tried many of the Medifast products, and have not found one yet I didn't like. At least for some of them, I'll be able to use them post-surgery as well, some in the full liquids stage, others at puree/soft foods, so I haven't wasted any of my investment.

I've also gotten a sample pack of the unjury, and I like those as well. There are lots of options!! I also found cookbooks specifically geared to weight loss surgery patients on Amazon, so I have good stuff to look forward to!

Pre-op doesn't last forever, and believe me, being patient with it is definitely worth the wait!

Best wishes,

Chris

Elfiepoo, What was the misshappen?

I am new to this site, but wondering if anyone has tried Medifast or powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury?

I am also a type 2 diabetic and wondering if another type 2 can give me any insight into liquid diets and LAP-BAND®®.:thumbup:

I did medifast for my pre-op as I had it from a previous diet attempt. I have to say I am not a huge fan, but it got me through. Some of the Soups are OK, but very lacking in salt (I love salt!)--no big surprise there. The bars are not bad and at least let you chew. The shakes I had to just slam down.

I survived it, and made it to my surgery. I lost 8 lbs in the two weeks of my pre-op. The medifast program allows for one "lean and green" meal each day. So I got to include some real foods each day, that was nice!

When I have to deal with a period of unpleasant, that I know will come to an end at a defined point, I break it into small time intervals. For instance, I joined the Army and had to get through Basic Training...the 8 weeks ahead seemed forever, particularly when drill sgts were yelling everytime you turned around. I mentally found land marks that were safe harbors....sleep time, mail call, etc. and broke the day into smaller time periods..."I only have 3 hours until X"....then "there are 2 hours until Y"....made the whole thing managable, as you can just about bleed your eyes out for short periods of time.

Can you find fun landmarks in the day? Times you don't associate with food? Don't look at the full 2 weeks...simply get to the next day/hour/etc.....? Best of luck to you.

When I have to deal with a period of unpleasant, that I know will come to an end at a defined point, I break it into small time intervals. For instance, I joined the Army and had to get through Basic Training...the 8 weeks ahead seemed forever, particularly when drill sgts were yelling everytime you turned around. I mentally found land marks that were safe harbors....sleep time, mail call, etc. and broke the day into smaller time periods..."I only have 3 hours until X"....then "there are 2 hours until Y"....made the whole thing managable, as you can just about bleed your eyes out for short periods of time.

Can you find fun landmarks in the day? Times you don't associate with food? Don't look at the full 2 weeks...simply get to the next day/hour/etc.....? Best of luck to you.

Thats wonderful advice! I start my 2 week preop diet tomorrow and I plan on using this advice to help me through it ..thanks so much :redface:

Thank you for the reply. I was telling my husband about everyone's weight loss pre-op and he wanted to know why I couldn't loss the weight myself if I just continued on a liquid diet. I didn't have a good answer, just weak willed I guess. If I get the band I will still be weak willed and that scares me.

I am so happy to hear your Dr. took you off some meds already. This is what I wish for so much and to be able to walk without my lower legs hurting so much that I have to stop after 400 ft!

Your pre-op diet will usually start several weeks before your procedure, during this time your doctor will have you refrain from as many carbohydrates as possible, so you will be avoiding foods like potatoes, breads, Pasta and rice. These foods are too complex and cause your body to work too hard to break them down. Again it is very important that you follow the diet closely, as once you have the Lap Band surgery.

I will be on a liquid diet for 5 days. My doc says the length of time you are on the liquid diet is directly related to the amount of fat around your liver.

OK ...then my question is, why do I not have to do the diet at all? :frown:

Mine is 12 days of Optifast (5 shakes & 2 bars a day) then the 2 days before surgery is nothing but Clear Liquids. Yeah it sucks, but seeing the scale move is worth it. The weakness & sluggishness goes away. It's definitely worth it, just one step to get what you want!! :frown:

My lliquid diet begins next week- 12 days of shakes and 2 days of clear(surgery is on the 15th) and Im searching for liquids- all I found was eggwhite Protein that body builders use which looks:tongue_smilie:. I heard optifast is unhealthy though?....

I was wondering about this too because my doctor hadn't even mentioned a liquid diet pre-op. I was told to lose 12lbs before surgery to shrink the liver.

I am noticing that some people are put on a 14 day liquid diet like me and some people only have 7 days or even 3 days? Some people can even eat solid foods like veggies or leans meats. I can't imagine how I am going to function in everyday life not eating anything but broth, sf Jello & pudding & choke down Protein shakes?? What do I do about fogginess or weakness? I have 88 pounds to lose before I am at a healthy weight. Any thoughts or ideas? Encouragement would be great..thanks.

The pre-op diet IS rough - no doubt about it. However, think of BIG picture. In a year, you won't even remember these weeks - these are just a drop in the bucket.

I had to do 3 weeks (23 days!) of a medi-fast pre-op diet - yes, it was fairly miserable. But, I kept the goal of surgery in mind - I lost 26 pounds pre-surgery and it's really designed to make the surgery safer for you and for you to be more successful.

And, think of it this way, too - the post surgery puree diet is a cakewalk compared to the pre-op diet! I've never been so excited to see yogurt and pudding in my life! :frown:

My surgeon has an extremely high success rate BECAUSE of the fact that they insist on, at least, a 2 week pre-op diet for EVERYONE. Honestly, that makes me feel better knowing that I'm in competent hands and it's done for my health.

Keep on trucking! I know it's hard but you can do it!