Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2ND FILL and EXTREMELY DEPRESSED

So, I had my second fill a week ago. No restriction on 1st fill and not much more, now. I have only lost 15lbs since surgery on November 24th. Please share your story with me about how your __ fill was the magic one and the weight came off later than you thought. It will cheer me up.

Thanks ,

Susan:unsure:

So, I had my second fill a week ago. No restriction on 1st fill and not much more, now. I have only lost 15lbs since surgery on November 24th. Please share your story with me about how your __ fill was the magic one and the weight came off later than you thought. It will cheer me up.

Susan,

Hang in there. You can push your doctor for fills every 2 weeks.

I had my surgery on 11/3/09 and my first fill of 3cc exactly 4 weeks later. Then another 3cc fill two weeks after that. another 1cc over the next two weeks and then they started doing .5cc since I was getting close...but again every two weeks.

I had my 6th fill last Thursday, only a week after the one before because it was apparent I had no restriction again, and am now at 8.5cc and <knock on wood> have hit the sweet spot. Over the last two weeks I've lost about 8 pounds and it's all due to the band stopping me from eating to excess.

You'll get there but you have to be patient *and* make your doctor do fills every 2 weeks if you need them.

My story should really cheer you up because 90+% of the people on this forum have done better than me. I was banded on June 15, 2009. Had my 1st fill 3 weeks later and continued to get fills every two weeks until ... my "sweet spot" ... at about fill 6, I think. But, alas, it wasn't my sweet spot, only close to it. So, I went in for maybe 2 more fills and I am finally at my sweet spot ... or close enough cuz I can still eat more for dinner than I'd like to. But, I can only do liquids for Breakfast (too tight) and even as I am eating my Lean Cuisine for lunch right now I am having a hard time getting it down my throat so, I don't think I need another fill, I just need to be more careful at dinner time. Anyway, my weight loss is slow due to minimal exercise. I have only lost about 37 lbs. BUT, and this is a big BUT (though a smaller but than it was before the band, LOL) I cherish every pound I have lost and give myself credit for not giving in to the frustration of losing so slowly when so many have lost so much more much faster. We all lose at our own pace and a lot has to do with how much work we are willing to put into it. Hang in there, it WILL get better. When you are at your sweet spot you will drop lbs like crazy!

Don't lose heart, just be patient!

Good luck.

Everyone's magic #is difference. I think the first fill that I actually had restriction is my 3rd. I agree with Elfiepoo, you need to get more fills more often, even if it takes writing down what you eat to show your doctor that you need more restriction.

I am at 8cc's in my 10cc band and I am definitely there. I do get stuck occasionally but it is usually my fault. I am eating too fast or taking too big of bites. I am not planning on a fill for awhile but will continue to see my surgeon on a regular basis just to be sure I am doing ok.

I was banded June 4, 2009. I've lost count of my fills, but I had one fill a month for the first 3 months, then a fill every 2 weeks after that. My last fill was Monday, and it took me to 8cc in a 10cc band. I am just starting to feel restriction. I was overfilled in September and had to be emptied and start all over again. Lesson learned - don't do aggressive fills. My new theory is that I'm sneaking up on the sweet spot .5ccs at a time. I never want to be too tight again - not only was that particular night miserable, but starting the fill process over cost me a lot of progress.

I think this may be it, but I'm not on real food yet, so I'm not sure.

Don't give up, and don't beg your doctor for an aggressive fill - it's just not worth it.

Hang in there!

Edited by june09bandit

Hang in there- I just got my 3rd today. I was up a pound since my last fill too. He looked over my journal and suggested to really cut back on red meats and lay off the chicken tenders (I usually baked mine) and try more grilled/baked chicken without skin and fish and veggies- things I already knew. He usually has me come ever 6 weeks- but said if in 2 weeks I still didn't feel restriction- that he wants me to do a barium swallow/fluro fill- just to check and make sure everything is fine.

I did try a shake after I left his office and it took a good 30 minutes to get it down and once I got to work- I had about 1/4 cup of mashed pot and gravy. I feel some restriction finally. Hope it stays for a while.

I felt like all I could do was stick to a WW type plan waiting for this restriction.

Good luck.

You can actually push your Dr for a fill every week. As long as he will do it. Since I had my band replaced I have went back every week for a fill. and also I was there again today. It is up to you and your Dr.

Thanks ,

Susan:unsure:

You are about 15 weeks post-op. You are averaging a pound a week. That is awesome! We can expect 1-2 pounds per week.

Don't get discouraged. It takes time to get to the sweet spot. Keep trucking. A band is not about speedy losses.

I averaged less than a pound a week during my active losing phase. Keep a positive focus, you can do it! When you get to your sweet spot, it will be sooooo much easier.

After 6 years Im finally restricted well enough to see the real band in action. I came from 280-220 initially with all the other fills. Then began to gain to 240 again after 6 fills! The #7 though. Im in there. It took me a while like 5 weeks to learn what and how to eat again. So dont give up. They will tweak it in and it will work just fine. You'll see. I went from 241-225 in 5 weeks. Thats great for me. My exercise was cut in half initially while I relearned to eat. I just didnt have the energy to be burnin. Now Im back on my game in the gym and running with high expectations. Shoot a PM anytime you want to talk...Good luck.

I just had my 2nd fill and im in the same boat. My Doctor used a large band (15ccs) So my first fill was almost 2 months after the surgery and that was 6ccs..I had no restriction and today he gave me another 2.5 ccs and i feel a little restricted but not very much. This is going to be a long frustrating haul

After 6 years Im finally restricted well enough to see the real band in action. I came from 280-220 initially with all the other fills. Then began to gain to 240 again after 6 fills! The #7 though. Im in there. It took me a while like 5 weeks to learn what and how to eat again. So dont give up. They will tweak it in and it will work just fine. You'll see. I went from 241-225 in 5 weeks. Thats great for me. My exercise was cut in half initially while I relearned to eat. I just didnt have the energy to be burnin. Now Im back on my game in the gym and running with high expectations. Shoot a PM anytime you want to talk...Good luck.

Bobby,

Just curious. It's taken 6 *years* to get to restriction??

You are about 15 weeks post-op. You are averaging a pound a week. That is awesome! We can expect 1-2 pounds per week.

Don't get discouraged. It takes time to get to the sweet spot. Keep trucking. A band is not about speedy losses.

I averaged less than a pound a week during my active losing phase. Keep a positive focus, you can do it! When you get to your sweet spot, it will be sooooo much easier.

:scared2: Er, make that 11 weeks, huh? I dunno what calendar I was looking at yesterday. DOH!

That is an even better loss rate.

Ok, have I REALLY lost as much as I think I have?

let's see....217 minus 154..... equals 250, right? ok, yeah, I've lost 250 lbs!

Nah, not really! But I'll take 63 from all time high! Oh yeah!!!

2 year bandiversary right around the corner!!