Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Major Band Slippage

I posted a few weeks back because I couldn't keep anything down. This has been progressive and it been going on for over 6 months. I went to the surgeons office three times with issues and all the Fluid taken out. The last visit in July I requested the appointment to be with the doctore (Atkinson) and still, when I went for the appointment I was seen by the PA. The PA said she would talk to doctor about the band slipping and check with my insurance to re-position or remove the band. I didn't hear back for a few weeks. I called the office and they said that because my insurance was now Aetna, not Blue Cross, Dr. Atkinson would not perform the surgery, even out of network. As you can imagine this was very frustrating. As the months went on, my symptoms kept getting worse. I dedided to start calling other bariatric surgeons in the area and no one would take me as a patient since they didn't perform the surgery.

Long story, but I finally went to my regular doctor because I couldn't hold liquid or food down for several days. She contacted a bariatric surgeon and he told her to get me an upper GI. I still wasn't sure if he was going to take me as a patient. Anyway, I got a call from the surgeon's coordinator and she couldn't believe my upper GI. It was the worse slip they had ever seen. She explained that the doctor usually take other doctors patients, but my condition was very severe. My entire stomach has slipped through the band. The band is now located between my stomach and intestines. This can be a life threatning situation. So I was told not to throw up any more until I coudl see the doctor. My appointment is Tuesday and my surgery will be scheduled.

Sorry for such a long post but this has been such a bad experience for me and needed to vent. I have a few friends that have the band and it works great for them. But for me, the band has to be removed and can't be replace. I have learned alot with this band and hope to continue my weight loss with other means.

If anyone has had this type of band slippage I would love to hear from you as I don't know what to expect with the surgery.

I do not have band slippage, but wanted to respond about your original surgeon. When you have such a severe problem and he does not take care of it ASAP it is called supervised neglect and it is illegal.

Wow, what a runaround you got and all this time you were in dire need of someone to help!! OMG--

Well, tomorrow's your appointment and hopefully this new (more professional) surgeon will thoroughly take care of you and discuss what options you have at this point. I wish you the very best of luck.

From what my original surgeon told me, if the Band didn't work out, the sleeve was something we could go with--so it might be a consideration for the future.

Please post after your appointment tomorrow and let us know how it works out for you...

I have been banded for 14 months and started having problems with my band about eight months post-op. My band tightens unexpectedly to the point I can't keep solids (and often liqiuds down). I have had two complete unfills for three weeks at a time. I was refilled about a month ago and, again, I'm having problems.

I'm going to my GP for an unfill today. I'm in Canada where all medical tests are free. What tests should I have him order to see if I've had a slip too? My band was looked at under fluoro in December and looked fine but I am not convinced. I'm worried sick.

Sabrina:)

I had an upper GI. But if your band is slipping, sometimes the upper GI can show normal. My band has been slipping back and forth for months. It just so happens that the day I had the upper GI, the band was at the bottom of my stomach. But like I said it had been moving up and down. I guess sometimes the band can correct itself and your stomach can slid back below the band. The doc said sometimes a fill, then an unfill will fix the problem. My doctor also recommended I do not get another band as once you have a slip, it is likely to have another. Being in the US with such terrible health care, I can't afford it.

Hope this helps. I have many friends who the band has worked for, just not me. Don't risk more health issues and a terrible way of life just because it's not working for you. Only you know the answer to that question.

Have a great day.

I am so sorry to hear all the difficulties you have had in trying to get the band slippage fixed. I would be soo angry! I hope the surgery to fix it goes well! Out of curiousity, what are the symptoms of band slippage? Besides the not being able to keep things down part.