Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded last night (12-23-09)

How was day four for you Amy?

Hi Katy!

Hope this finds you well. I can't believe it is already day 4!! Well, where do I begin?? For starters I don't want to scare anyone off. However, I hope I can be informative.

I started with gas and diarrhea on Thursday night (1 day post-op). I thought it was a reaction to the antibiotics that they gave me in the OR. It passed during the day on Friday and I was doing well. Other than my bout with the gas and diarrhea on Thursday evening, I was doing quite well. On Friday eveing, the gas and diarrhea returned. Anything I ate or drank came right back out. I was sick off and on all day Saturday and called my surgeon. I was just happy that I was off the pain meds and was able to walk around! My surgeon really thought it was due to the antibiotics given to me in the OR. I do have a very sensitive stomach when it comes to antibiotics. He told me to call him Sunday morning with an update.

Well, I was up all night Saturday sick and was at my wits end. My surgeon told me to try to eat Fiber crackers. Anyways, I have cut back on my Water and liquid intake and seem to be doing a lot better. :thumbup: My advice to anyone who is about to be banded is to make sure you eat very small amounts when you return home.

I'm hoping that this will not be an ongoing problem. I just wish my program coordinator/surgeon would have been clearer on how much I should have been ingesting once I returned home.

Other than that, Katy, I am doing quite well. I have some pain around the incision areas due to being sick but am able to move about and am looking forward to feeling better on Monday! I did have to take some pain meds on Sunday and it looks like I will not be returning to work until next week. But I have faith that everything will work itself out!! :thumbup:

How are you??

Hi Amy,

You poor thing! I am so sorry to hear that you are having this problem! I bet you have been miserable the past couple of days. Yes, it sounds like you had some kind of an allergic reaction to the antibiotics. Hopefully you will be over that sooner than later and be back to a more comfortable recovery.

My day four was a bit more challenging as well. I woke up with a severe headache that would not go away, and I figured it was due to my Constipation. I sent the hubby to the store to buy some Benefiber, and I ended up spending the rest of the day going back and forth to the bathroom. Yuck. Atleast my headache was gone.

I am starting to find myself more hungry and am getting tired of the liquids. Hopefully I can last a little longer. :thumbup:

Get to feeling better Amy and we will talk with you soon!

Katy

Hi Katy,

I know how you are feeling regarding the liquids. I woke up feeling very hungry today (day 5). I would love to pick up something solid to eat. I keep telling myself that it is only for a few more days and then I can move to a soft diet. We came this far, haven't we? We can do it!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

My stomach has settled down A LOT!! First of all, I stopped my Protein shakes yesterday (until I can talk to my doctor today). I also ate only 1/3 of what I have been eating since I have been home. I had 4 oz yogurt, 2 fudgecicles, and 1/2 cup of cream of chicken Soup in 18 hours.

My doctor and nutritionist were very clear on what I could eat after surgery but they did not specify how much I could eat. So, thanks to a board member for pointing this out to me~ I had "dumping." Dumping occurs when you eat certain things or eat too much and I was definitely eating too much. As soon as I cut back on my eating yesterday, I felt much better.

I'll keep you updated on what my doctor says.

Thanks for checking in on me!! Take care and will talk later!!

Amy

hi i was banded 12/23/08.so far i have lost 62 lbs. 37 lbs from my goal

Thank you Amy! I appreciate the support!

Hi Lisa-

I am a little confused...you said you were going to get banded Monday but then you posted you got banded on Sunday...

Did you get to do in a day early?

Or did I misunderstand...

I am trying to decided if I want to get banded.It seems really sacry to me...messing with my body however I am OBESE and know I am messing with my body by being this fat.I have been following all of the newbies posts on here.Thanks-

Here is a quick question I have for anyone..I LOVE coffee.

I usually drink a few cups in the morning..Is that okay to drink after surgery?

Thanks everyone !

Kathie

Wow Cassie you have lost alot for just getting surgery as has

the gal [can't remember her name..Umystifyme]

Does everyone lose 60 + pounds so quickly after surgery?

I don't think so but thought I'd ask...

Kathie

Hey girls,

I wanted to join in on this group because I get banded on Wed and I am totally nervous but reading your experiences really helps.

Hopefully you will all continue to come back to this thread so I have some support.

Wish me luck.

Wow Cassie you have lost alot for just getting surgery as has

the gal [can't remember her name..Umystifyme]

Does everyone lose 60 + pounds so quickly after surgery?

I don't think so but thought I'd ask...

Kathie

Hi Kathie!!

Welcome to LBT! There's a lot of useful information here and you will learn a lot.

First of all, Cassie, was banded in 2008 (12/23/2008). So losing 60+ lbs in a year is normal. That's about 2 lbs a month.

Kathie, unfortunately, you will not be able to drink coffee after surgery. It contains caffeine that irritates the stomach and causes hunger. Even after you heal, your doctor will most likely not allow you to drink coffee b/c caffeine does cause hunger. Also you are not allowed to drink any caffeinated beverages or sodas right after surgery.

Hope that helps.

Amy

Kathie,

I think all drs are different. My dr said that drinking coffee is fine and he also said that soda is fine in moderation if you stick to diet drinks to avoid the calories.

Just have a consultation with a dr and ask them what they think. I'm glad to know if I want them I can have them but I plan to avoid them as I want this to be a new start!

Hey girls,

I wanted to join in on this group because I get banded on Wed and I am totally nervous but reading your experiences really helps.

Hopefully you will all continue to come back to this thread so I have some support.

Wish me luck.

Welcome to our little group!! Another Dec 23rd Bandster!! YAY!! :thumbup:

Please share any of your experiences too. And ask questions!

Good luck!! Keep us updated!

Amy

Hi Lisa-

I am a little confused...you said you were going to get banded Monday but then you posted you got banded on Sunday...

Did you get to do in a day early?

Or did I misunderstand...

I am trying to decided if I want to get banded.It seems really sacry to me...messing with my body however I am OBESE and know I am messing with my body by being this fat.I have been following all of the newbies posts on here.Thanks-

Here is a quick question I have for anyone..I LOVE coffee.

I usually drink a few cups in the morning..Is that okay to drink after surgery?

Thanks everyone !

Kathie

HI Kathie,

I was banded on Dec. 15th and I did drink coffee a few days after. However, I drink Decaf and I don't drink it everyday. That would be something to ask your surgeon.

I was nervous at first but I know now I did the right thing. to be able to lose and keep it off will be a GREAT feeling.

This website seems like a friendly place and alot of information gets passed on.

I am doing well. Day 14 tomorrow so I can begin eating soft foods.

Keep yourself busy, I find that helps so you don't feel hungry but I think that is as much in your mind as in your body. At least for me.

Good Luck,

Ann

Hi Kathie!!

Welcome to LBT! There's a lot of useful information here and you will learn a lot.

First of all, Cassie, was banded in 2008 (12/23/2008). So losing 60+ lbs in a year is normal. That's about 2 lbs a month.

Kathie, unfortunately, you will not be able to drink coffee after surgery. It contains caffeine that irritates the stomach and causes hunger. Even after you heal, your doctor will most likely not allow you to drink coffee b/c caffeine does cause hunger. Also you are not allowed to drink any caffeinated beverages or sodas right after surgery.

Hope that helps.

Amy

Hey there,

I was curious about your stats. Says you have lost almost a 100 pounds from consult to surgery. Is that right? I was just wondering if you lost almost 100 pounds before getting banded why you went through with it since you did amazing w/o it?

Hey there,

I was curious about your stats. Says you have lost almost a 100 pounds from consult to surgery. Is that right? I was just wondering if you lost almost 100 pounds before getting banded why you went through with it since you did amazing w/o it?

Yes, I was 285 lbs in March 2009 and 284 lbs at the time of my initial consult. I lost almost 90 lbs in 6 months. Then I was just able to maintain my weight. I wasn't able to lose anymore. Due to personal reasons I went ahead with the surgery.

Yes, I was 285 lbs in March 2009 and 284 lbs at the time of my initial consult. I lost almost 90 lbs in 6 months. Then I was just able to maintain my weight. I wasn't able to lose anymore. Due to personal reasons I went ahead with the surgery.

90 pounds in six months - WOW... what did you do if you dont mind me asking. I totally undertand still wanting to do it because maintaining will be easier with the restriction. But, what an accomplishment on your own.

So you had surgery at your weight around 197. I'm just curious because I am having surgery starting at 200.

Hey girls,

Wish me luck.

Welcome Curiousinoh! Wednesday is right around the corner. I bet you are getting excited! Are you surviving the liquid pre-op diet?

Katy