Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Banding Work if you're over 50?

How did you know when it was TIME to lose your prescription high blood pressure pills? Did you make an appointment with your regular doctor? Did you feel dizzy from low blood pressure? Were there any signs? Was it discontinued after your post op?

Suz

Hi Fabulous Fifties,

Not banded yet but have a question. How soon were you able to get off your blood pressure meds? Anyone able to get off their thyroid meds for hypothyroidism?

Suz

Suz,

I am a Registered Nurse, and I have hypothyroidism. I've done a lot of research on WLS over the past 3 years, and I've never heard of anyone being able to get off of their thyroid medication. That's not something that's just gonna go away like so many of the other co-morbidities will. You may be able to get off of your blood pressure meds, but I highly doubt you will ever get off of the thyroid medication.

Joan

My blood pressure went to 80/50 and my primary care dr said to discontinue the pills at that time which was one week post op. I continued to monitor it at home and it's stayed normal and has been at every dr visit since. I did have signs got very dizzy and light headed and felt like I was going to pass out.

I've lost 105 lbs. I think the only difference with me versus someone younger is that I didn't and don't care how fast I lose as long as I lose. I haven't lost as fast as some people but on the other hand I've lost faster than some. I am almost at my goal weight and very happy that I had this done. I was banded in Aug. 2007.

Diva of High Maintainance, I doubt wt. loss will get you off thyroid meds but it may reduce the dose as you shrink in size. i go to the doctor before I stop any meds- they have to call it - (Tried it once on my own with really bad results) :thumbdown:am off all my BP meds. i am off most of my asthma meds. Had asthma as a child, no problems as adult until i weighed over 250#; It got significantly worse the more I weighed. 1 year ago they almost had me on Oxygen and now i take 1 med - I am not messing with success. So never say never....

HI, Happy to read all your replies as my Dr said not to get to excited as being older 52 and only having 25 kgs to lose it may take a long time and be very hard to dom but then again your a long time dead!!

My blood pressure also normalized immediately following surgery! It is staying pretty steady at about 117/75.... Pretty good considering they were wanting to put me on blood pressure medicine just 1 month earlier! I was also borderline diabetic, and that has been controlled as well since surgery! I have been able to come off of my Prevacid (stomach med) since they repaired the hiatal hernia at teh time I had the band! If I never lose another pound, IT IS WORTH IT! Keep up the good work all! Hope to "see less of you" in the near future!

Everyone is different but I am 58 and lost 50 lbs. in the first 3 1/2 months after banding including the preop diet weight loss.

I turned 55 September 10th and my body feels younger than it did at 35!

Kotchy, i was banded last December, at age 58. I have lost 97#, so far. Need to lose about 73# more. I have health issues , as do others who are younger and it goes a bit slower. We work around them. I'm more active now than when I was 2 years ago. Do IT- for you!! My Dh refuses and his health is not the best.

Sue it's so good to hear of your progress. I am 59 and started my way toward the band, hopefully in the spring, just before I turn 60! I am so excited and at the same time nervous, so every message I can read with positive tones to it helps.

keep up your good work.

Sue in ne, I'm a newly banded 59 year old. I had my operation just a week ago and am on full liquids. You have done so well. Tell me what you eat in a day and quantitites.

Diva,Thank you, I keep telling myself we do not punish/scold babies when they fall while learning to walk. The 1st year is learning how and what to eat- (At 10 months I still stumble but will pick myself up and start again) :wink2:The quantities I eat will vary. You will eventually be able to eat everything you ate before- just less, and in small bites. Usually, my main meal is about 1 1/4 cup total, some of this is 1/4- 1/2 cup of a fruit /vegetable (usually cooked)- I measure everything (will eyeball in a pinch but it is easy to get more that way) Protein such as beef, chicken, fish work best for me if cooked with some moisture and easily cut into small pieces. Protein in low fat (not always no fat) milk, cottage cheese, and other dairy products help also. Beans are a good source of protein, & carbs (we still need some-just not flour). I always had trouble eating in the morning but can drink, so add a protein mix to milk in the morning. Several websites sell them.

Calories are between 900 and 1200/day, if i want to lose. (some days eating all 900 calories is hard to do - you are full). Protein is between 70 -100 grams a day. Most of us in the local support group eat about that much- more if you are more active (1 man past 50, eats about 1500+cal/day - but he hits the gym daily) Most important is the exercise- pick something you can do and do it as often as you can.

I use alternatives to sugar and some of the oil/butter in recipes. I also use baby spoons, small plates and bowls to eat; crock pot, a food scale (not every measure is in cups and spoonfuls) a calorie counter guide (with brand name products and protein count); a food diary (track calories, protein and water)

I'm fifty right now and was banded two years ago. I'm healthier, more fit, happier, sexier and more energetic than I was at 35!!! My doctor has been very pleased and happy with my progress. (so is my husband!) I had a couple set backs (surgeries) so my weight loss was a little slow, but with older skin issues, I'm glad of that. I'm two years out and still losing. YES it's possible.

I have not yet been banded, but glad to know that I can still lose weight at 55. I'm in the begining stages, and still not sure, but reading the previous post everyone is very pleased with their outcome. I am a diabetic (type 2) and take insulin 2x a day. losing weight will really help me a lot

I am type 1 and 58 years old. I am six weeks post op and down 20 lbs. I was on half of the amount of the insulin that I was before, imediately after surgery. I have been on solid food now for 2 weeks and still taking only half of the amount of insulin. You will be so glad you did the band. It changed my life and it will yours too.