Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pcos, metformin use after being sleeved

Hi guys... I am currently 4 months post-op and on no medications. I have lost a total of 45 pounds. I still cant believe it. I am so thankful for my sleeve. Yet, I have PCOS and have not noticed my period regulating just yet. I was on metformin prior to having surgery but after surgery i was told to stop the medication. My surgeon informed me it is too soon to tell if my period will regulate since i am only 4 months post op. Yet, I was wondering if anyone was in my situation and if you had to start taking metformin again? Also, will this medication hurt my sleeve? I had really aweful side effects from it the first 3 months after taking it. I would appreciate any advice from anyone who experienced this problem. I am currently on day five of my period and it is extremely heavy which worries me because I am anemic due to my heavy periods and feel very weak. I was hoping surgery would correct this problem bit i havent noticed a change in my cycles and this really worries me.

So I have been out for about 7 weeks and getting my period ever since the 3rd week. Prior to the surgery, my periods were missing for over a year.. I started taking metformin 3 days ago and ever since, I have been feeling very mild pain in my stomach. It's mild pain but it's there.. Is it too soon to be taking metformin??

English is my 6th language so forgive me if my sentences don't make any sense at times!

I was also on metformin prior to my bypass. I have also been taking 2 Zovia per day for the past 9 mths just to keep me from having a heavy period constantly. I stopped the metformin but have not been able to wean off of the birth control. I am 11 weeks out and I'm hoping that soon it will be able to regulate itself. I have been afraid to try the metformin.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I spoke to My surgeon since this post and he recommended I give my body more time to adjust before taking any medication. He said it may take 6-12 months to see the positive effects of the surgery on my cycles. He said i may not need to take anything but it is too soon to tell. I am scheduled to see my gyn in august so I am hoping i have more information to report back. My last period last a total of 15 days! ???? It has been exhausting ! My calorie range is anywhere inbetween 900 a1200 calories and having my period for so long is completely draining. So I am crossing my fingers that with time my symptoms improve. I will keep you posted.

Lema - did your doctor recommend you take metformin at 7 weeks out? Im not sure if this might be too soon as metformin tends to upset your stomach after progressive use.

Steph do you find that using metformin has helped you lose more weight since surgery ? I know for those of us with pcos and insulin resistance our weight loss is slower than other patients without this diagnosis.

Hi guys... I am currently 4 months post-op and on no medications. I have lost a total of 45 pounds. I still cant believe it. I am so thankful for my sleeve. Yet, I have PCOS and have not noticed my period regulating just yet. I was on metformin prior to having surgery but after surgery i was told to stop the medication. My surgeon informed me it is too soon to tell if my period will regulate since i am only 4 months post op. Yet, I was wondering if anyone was in my situation and if you had to start taking metformin again? Also, will this medication hurt my sleeve? I had really aweful side effects from it the first 3 months after taking it. I would appreciate any advice from anyone who experienced this problem. I am currently on day five of my period and it is extremely heavy which worries me because I am anemic due to my heavy periods and feel very weak. I was hoping surgery would correct this problem bit i havent noticed a change in my cycles and this really worries me.

Hi, I also have PCOS... I was taking metformin before my surgery as well. I also had an IUD placed before my surgery because my surgeon wants me to wait at 15 months before trying to conceive. I have been on my cycle since I was about 5 days post op. I think yu should give you body some time. I am not going to start back taking metformin. Your body went through major surgery and needs time to adjust and work itself out. I have read that being sleeved has a 80% chance of managing PCOS in women so I'm claiming that 80% and yu should to. Good Luck!

Soon2B Sleeved

I stopped the metformin the day before my surgery. For the slower weight loss, I'm not sure. I am 11 weeks out today as of today I am at 60 pounds since surgery. I'm not sure how much is average. Metformin definitely helped me in the months before surgery to lose weight! I was at 340 when it was first prescribed and lost about 30 lbs last winter that I attributed to metformin.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Lema - did your doctor recommend you take metformin at 7 weeks out? Im not sure if this might be too soon as metformin tends to upset your stomach after progressive use.

I have 4 doctors at the moment and I really hate the idea of going to one unless I really really need to. I haven't lost anything in almost 3 weeks so I figured since I was taking metformin prior to surgery, I should start it again. I did it very cautiously but without advising any of them so I guess it is too early. My period came so I am not taking it for that but just the insulin resistance.

I had been taking metformin for over a year with no weight loss though..

English is my 6th language so forgive me if my sentences don't make any sense at times!

Edited by Lema

I have 4 doctors at the moment and I really hate the idea of going to one unless I really really need to. I haven't lost anything in almost 3 weeks so I figured since I was taking metformin prior to surgery, I should start it again. I did it very cautiously but without advising any of them so I guess it is too early. My period came so I am not taking it for that but just the insulin resistance.

I had been taking metformin for over a year with no weight loss though..

Your cycle could be the reason why the weight is at a stall or not moving. Give it some time. Since I have been on my cycle I have consciously not stepped on the scale because I can feel the bloating and cramping due to my cycle. Stay hydrated and take yur Vitamins and yu should be ok because I was feeling the same way buy now that I am able to get in puree foods I feel a lot better and more energy

Soon2B Sleeved

Lema - I can understand you perfectly! Wow, 6 languages! That's impressive!

I would recommend informing your doctors that you are taking metformin. I email my surgeon and nutritionist about any changes in medication and have found this helpful. You want to make sure you follow the guidelines to avoid any complications down the road.

As per your stall this is completly normal. I dropped a total of 5 pounds after my period ended. Just follow your plan and you will be fine. Believe me you will notice a difference when your cycle ends.

I spoke to My surgeon since this post and he recommended I give my body more time to adjust before taking any medication. He said it may take 6-12 months to see the positive effects of the surgery on my cycles. He said i may not need to take anything but it is too soon to tell. I am scheduled to see my gyn in august so I am hoping i have more information to report back. My last period last a total of 15 days! ???? It has been exhausting ! My calorie range is anywhere inbetween 900 a1200 calories and having my period for so long is completely draining. So I am crossing my fingers that with time my symptoms improve. I will keep you posted.

I too have super long extra heavy periods along with unbearable cramping. I bled for 6 months once, and none of my Dr's told me they could help. Do you take any form of birth control? I've tried everything under the sun and they all make me bleed for extended periods of time 2 months + with no break. I finally did my research and found a pill my insurance will cover that is a 3 month pack and stops ur period. So for me this is a win since we were told not to get pregnant for 2 yrs and to help deal with my periods. Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using the BariatricPal App

I have never suffered from PCOS and I have had normal clockwork periods my entire life. Since I had surgery, my periods have been all over the map because of the weight loss. I had periods every 2 weeks for about 3 months.

I think your weight loss would have to slow down or stabilize for your periods to get normal.