Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

I started this journey believing I wanted the sleeve because there is supposed to be easier recovery and it's cheaper (I am self pay) but after reading, googling and speaking to professionals at my bariatric center I changed my thinking and decided that bypass was the better surgery for me.

My reasons: I am 49 yrs old with a 49 bmi. I have a lot of weight to lose, I'm not getting any younger and bypass has a higher rate of weight loss. Also, it looks like with a bypass I will have a better chance of keeping it off, and since menopause is right around the corner, that is important.

But now here is my problem with my decision...I have many issues that I need to take NSAIDs for. Such as: osteoporosis, meniscus surgery, degenerative spinal pain, hip pain, major period cramps, breast soreness...the list goes on and on. I have been attempting to use Tylenol as a substitute but it does absolutely nothing.

I understand that much of these pains will get better as my weight decreases but many will not and I also have to consider the fact that some will get WORSE as I age. And what about arthritis pain?

I have been googling NSAID alternatives and am only finding "natural cures" (I'm sorry but these are all but useless for heavy duty pain)

no real medications that replace them.

Please, if you have discovered an alternative medication or have gone through this yourself and found a solution to this problem I would be so grateful for the knowledge.

My surgeon said I could take advil or celebrex if I take 3 carafate a day. I had right total knee replacement 4 months after the sleeve, and the pain was unbearable. That is what my surgeon said, but of course you need to check with yours, good luck.

I have been googling NSAID alternatives and am only finding "natural cures" (I'm sorry but these are all but useless for heavy duty pain)

Please, if you have discovered an alternative medication or have gone through this yourself and found a solution to this problem I would be so grateful for the knowledge.

I can't speak to a lot of your issues except to say I have taken a cinnamon supplement for over 10 years to try to stave off metabolic syndrome. I found out when I broke my leg badly (both bones above the ankle, spiral break) that the cinnamon did more to help control the pain than the prescription pain medication.

I also find that dried cherries, cherry juice or a cherry pill can be very effective for this kind of pain. my mother uses dried cherries to treat arthritis.

I'm 48 with a 53 BMI and my surgeon felt sleeve was a good way to go for me. Although you may lose faster with Bypass - you can still lose a significant amount of weight with sleeve. My concern for you would be the NSAIDs being problematic with the sleeve too. In terms of keeping the weight off - I honestly believe that's patient compliance related and not the surgery type. Hopefully whichever you decide - you lose not only weight but the pain you experience too.

http://www.obesitycoverage.com/gastric-bypass-vs-gastric-sleeve-surgery/

sbg224, that sounds like a good option. Thank you so much for the advise. Do you have to take carafate everyday whether you take the nsaid or not on that day? How expensive is this drug?

I'm 48 with a 53 BMI and my surgeon felt sleeve was a good way to go for me. Although you may lose faster with Bypass - you can still lose a significant amount of weight with sleeve. My concern for you would be the NSAIDs being problematic with the sleeve too. In terms of keeping the weight off - I honestly believe that's patient compliance related and not the surgery type. Hopefully whichever you decide - you lose not only weight but the pain you experience too.

http://www.obesitycoverage.com/gastric-bypass-vs-gastric-sleeve-surgery/

I have heard that NSAIDS could possibly be an issue with the sleeve too. I know for sure it would be with bypass. I have been reading quite a few long term sleeve success stories here too. I would love to say I would be among them. But I also never thought I would be a 300+ woman either. This is so hard!!!

I know...I'm pre-surgery and think I'll be the first person who doesn't lose weight with the sleeve. Or that something will happen between now and surgery that'll prevent me from having it. I just want it done and I've got a few months to go.

I know...I'm pre-surgery and think I'll be the first person who doesn't lose weight with the sleeve. Or that something will happen between now and surgery that'll prevent me from having it. I just want it done and I've got a few months to go.

I am sailing in that same boat. Between my job not wanting me to be off so long, having to take out a bank loan AND refinance my house to pay for this surgery, and now my car's check engine light just came on! I feel like the weight loss gods are not on my side!

Hi all,

I started this journey believing I wanted the sleeve because there is supposed to be easier recovery and it's cheaper (I am self pay) but after reading, googling and speaking to professionals at my bariatric center I changed my thinking and decided that bypass was the better surgery for me.

My reasons: I am 49 yrs old with a 49 bmi. I have a lot of weight to lose, I'm not getting any younger and bypass has a higher rate of weight loss. Also, it looks like with a bypass I will have a better chance of keeping it off, and since menopause is right around the corner, that is important.

But now here is my problem with my decision...I have many issues that I need to take NSAIDs for. Such as: osteoporosis, meniscus surgery, degenerative spinal pain, hip pain, major period cramps, breast soreness...the list goes on and on. I have been attempting to use Tylenol as a substitute but it does absolutely nothing.

I understand that much of these pains will get better as my weight decreases but many will not and I also have to consider the fact that some will get WORSE as I age. And what about arthritis pain?

This sounds like something you need to discuss with your surgeon and various physicians. Coming up with a pain management plan is something your healthcare team has the expertise to do.

I had the sleeve done in March I have rheumatoid arthritis and I take Brufen 800mg x2 at night my surgeon said it wasn't an issue with NSAIDS going forward straight after surgery for 2 weeks he put me on Celebrex then I went back to Brufen I haven't had any issues to date.

Sent from my iPhone

Hi all,

This sounds like something you need to discuss with your surgeon and various physicians. Coming up with a pain management plan is something your healthcare team has the expertise to do.
But of course...that goes without saying.

But since I have this forum available to me I see no harm in asking others with experience what their solutions to this problem were. So far I have received several helpful comments.

The difference in the amount of weight you lose between the sleeve and the bypass long term is very narrow. Long term the results are very similar. If you follow the program you can be successful with either.

With all of those medical conditions, I would thank that malaborption would be something you want to avoid. I would ask your other doctors what surgery they think you should have before just agreeing to what the bariatric center is saying.

I'm with @@Inner Surfer Girl -- WLS patients' medical situations vary considerably. Therefore, their pain management needs vary. What works for one person's needs could be quite wrong for another's.

This is definitely a topic for your medical team to address.

Best wishes.

VSGAnn2014,

I understand that I need to ultimately speak to my doctors. I said as much in my response to Inner Surfer Girl. But until I am able to do that what is the harm of me gleening information from those who have been there before me and may have helpful tips and suggestions that I could take to my doctors and inquire about?

What is this forum for if we are never to ask questions we should be asking a doctor? In turn, does that also mean we should never heed anyones advice in this forum that is not a medical professional, no matter how sound? Does that mean that your advice is subjective and doesn't apply to me? Am I only to post my stats and weight loss photos and refrain from asking any questions?

I apologize if I sound rude but I see people reaching out to others here all the time for advice and time and again all they get is "talk to your doctor" ... well duh, of course they will talk to their doctor but in the meantime they are just asking for an opinion or two from those going through what they are. Have you all gotten so far removed that you have forgotten what it's like to crave answers to all your questions? Did you never ask a question that you will be asking your doctor? Ever?