Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

@startingoveryeyagain I can relate with how you feel. I have been overweight all my life plus I have hypothyroidism which makes my metabolism super slow. So no matter if I was a low eater, I exercised regularly, even with a trainer for over a year did not loose significant weight. I also had 4 low back surgeries that limited my exercise capability, 4 jaw surgeries that required a soft diet. So I researched the VSG v. Morphine pump which was recommended by my MD at the time since after all the sx I had gained up to 236 and I'm only 5'0.

Had the VSG on 6/12/2012. Has a very difficult road to recovery, was very weak and in pain but did not have a problem with the diet initially. In phase 1 & 2 lost 25lbs. In phase 3 as I started to introduce solid foods the gastritis I had at the beginning of as came back. (Other co-morbidities HBP, diabetes, hypothyroidism, chronic back pain & chronic migrains). But it was violent GERD. I could not hold anything down. The MD ordered a Barrium swallow & X-Ray. I had developed a serious structure & Hernia. So I had a VSG revision with a hernia repair on 7/12/13. By this time I had lost about 65 lbs since the 1st sx. After the 2nd VSG I went down to 126. So I lost a total of 91 lbs until November of 2014 when the scale started to come up.

I started to gain weight, I am baffled as to why.

*I document EVERYTHING I EAT. I USE My Fitness Pal.

*I weight my portions.

*I am exercising at least 3x a week for 1.5hrs walk, bike, strength.

*I am drinking about 50oz Water daily. No juices, nothing else but water or milk. No alcohol.

*I have my Protein Drink for Breakfast. Have lunch, dinner and a small meal at night with meds. So having 4 meal a day. Per program on maintenance should have 5 small meals a day but can't fit all.

*sometimes get hungry if I wait 6+ hours without eating.

*my Protein sources are usually 3oz chicken breast, lean hickory ham, 1 egg, cottage cheese, white cheese, milk.

*I have 2 small fruits a day Per the guidelines. One green apple with no skin & one small peach with no skin. I eat it with white cheese to combine the carb & protein. That is a small meal.

*when I have chicken I make a small salad with lettuce, tomatoes & carrots. I use thousand island dressing Per my guide that is 6gm carb, 5gm sugar.

So I would appreciate if anyone takes the time to read my post, for someone who is 3 yrs post op with all I've been throughout, is it normal to gain weight? What I'm I doing wrong? My labs are ok. I spoke with the NUTshe sugg to drink a shake and doc all intake but I already do that. I am keeping my carbs at or under 80gms daily, protein 60-80gmgaily to loose per the NUT. She said don't count calories but stay under 1000. Which I'm usually between 800-900. My other MD's day it's too little. So, someone out there please HELP ME I NEED TO START TO LOOSE WEIGHT AGAIN. MY GOAL IS TO LOOSE 30 MORE LBS.????

Also I forgot to add since last year I have has 5 epidural injections for pain which are steroids. I'm typically very sensitive to these and have gained weight In the past although MD says you should not. I'm not sure if that is the source of the problem because since injections I have cut on portion sizes and good selections to pinpoint the problem but nothing seems to work.

@startingoveryeyagain, just wanted to check in with you. I am at 4 1/2 years out. It took me 3 years to get to a modest goal (170-173 range) I had regained 20 pounds before I got back on track and lost to goal at year 3. The most I ever lost is still less than you have already lost so far at 1 1/2 years. Congratulations! I know its not what you had hoped for, but it is still AWESOME! My Doc actually asked me before surgery if I would be happy losing 50 pounds... that was his expectation for me, ... I wanted to lose over 80. In the last year I have gained 15 pounds above my goal... and am trying to get it back off. I attribute emotional eating to the gain. I still think I am successful, but have not given up trying to get back to the earlier goal. I believe I will have to keep trying until I die. Maintenance is not automatic. Am I disappointed? Sometimes when I am doing all the right things (at least I think I am!) and the scales go up or stay the same. I think you need to get back on the wagon, and give it some more time. Mix it up if you have too, Use your head instead of your heart to solve this problem... or perhaps better to say ....to address this problem.... its never solved as far as I can see. I have to say that for me the sleeve has worked as a great tool.... when I use it along with a lot of other tools, almost all of the time. Best of luck to you, you are not alone.

@@BLERDgirl Yes indeed, it appears the rules are different for some and it's crazy because you'd think it'd be the opposite for people with high BMIs/life long obese people. With all the research I did before I never saw this. That's why I'm so disappointed and angry at myself, deep in my gut I knew something was off throughout my journey. Maybe general guidelines weren't enough? I wished I had pushed harder to get a 2nd opinion and do further testing to figure out the problem, I could have made adjustments earlier. Now it feels like making up for lost time. I don't use Fitness Pal, I prefer the interface of Lose It but if you have a blog you can DM.

And it's not just about the scale, I tracked my weight, took measurement and took pictures of my face and body. Dress size started at 24 and it's now 18/20 depending on the brand. I remember buying a smaller size shirt after surgery thinking I'd be able to wear it soon, maybe it was 1x and it took almost a year for it to fit. Same thing with my face, it's thinned out a little recently but nothing drastic. I'm not being cute or modest, physically I don't look very different. I don't get winded as much but I'm still carrying a lot of weight. And it's not just about numbers, I had some fun little NSV like being able to wear heels and nope I still can't comfortably wear them. It's still excruciating with the amount of weight bearing down at my feet. I'm young, single, don't have kids so yeah I wanted to get healthier before it was too late but it was really about looking better, feeling better, more confidence to put myself out etc.

At this point, I don't even know what to expect time wise and feels like im going through this journey with no idea when the end will be in sight.

I did know that higher BMIs would take more than a year with the sleeve. Both from my own research and the info given by my program. The big dramatic weight lose would only happen if I opted for bypass & I did not want that. What also helped was the ongoing conversation I had with my nutritionist. I only just increased my calories to 800 - 1000 at 9mths.

I also make small goals instead of looking at the giant goal of where I want to be at 2 years out. My current goal is to have loss 125lbs by my one year anniversary in September. If I stay on track w/ my 10lbs a month avg I think I can make it.

@@BLERDgirl Yes indeed, it appears the rules are different for some and it's crazy because you'd think it'd be the opposite for people with high BMIs/life long obese people. With all the research I did before I never saw this. That's why I'm so disappointed and angry at myself, deep in my gut I knew something was off throughout my journey. Maybe general guidelines weren't enough? I wished I had pushed harder to get a 2nd opinion and do further testing to figure out the problem, I could have made adjustments earlier. Now it feels like making up for lost time. I don't use Fitness Pal, I prefer the interface of Lose It but if you have a blog you can DM.

And it's not just about the scale, I tracked my weight, took measurement and took pictures of my face and body. Dress size started at 24 and it's now 18/20 depending on the brand. I remember buying a smaller size shirt after surgery thinking I'd be able to wear it soon, maybe it was 1x and it took almost a year for it to fit. Same thing with my face, it's thinned out a little recently but nothing drastic. I'm not being cute or modest, physically I don't look very different. I don't get winded as much but I'm still carrying a lot of weight. And it's not just about numbers, I had some fun little NSV like being able to wear heels and nope I still can't comfortably wear them. It's still excruciating with the amount of weight bearing down at my feet. I'm young, single, don't have kids so yeah I wanted to get healthier before it was too late but it was really about looking better, feeling better, more confidence to put myself out etc.

At this point, I don't even know what to expect time wise and feels like im going through this journey with no idea when the end will be in sight.

I started at between 28 and a 34 depending on the cut of the clothes. Right now I'm 20 - 24 and some 18s fit but are snug. My face is dramatically different.

That last sentence gets my attention. I know there is no end in sight. Getting thinner & healthier is work for the rest of my life. You cannot view this as a temporary issue. To me that's diet thinking. I don't diet. My current way of eating/exercising is for life.

You are right...there is no end in sight for any of us. Maintenance is a whole different head trip...and definitely a continuation of the journey...

I started at between 28 and a 34 depending on the cut of the clothes. Right now I'm 20 - 24 and some 18s fit but are snug. My face is dramatically different.

That last sentence gets my attention. I know there is no end in sight. Getting thinner & healthier is work for the rest of my life. You cannot view this as a temporary issue. To me that diet thinking. I don't diet. My way of eating/exercising are for life.

Agree 100%.

Surgery isnt witchcraft, magic or fairy dust. It's a tool. I was not "lucky". I was not "special". I did not lose the weight with little to no effort. I literally worked my ass off and still do every day. I "cheat" a bit from time to time, I slack off on the exercise here and there and I suffer the consequences. I then rally myself, get back on track and do what I need to do to get back on the wagon.

Surgery is not a instant solution to a lifelong problem. It will be a lifelong battle for me and, in MY opinion, for anyone else who elects to go through with this procedure.

@@mlfontan You mentioned your carbs are 60-80 grams, have you tried lowering that below 50 grams? Under 50gm should kick your body into ketosis and may jump start that loss again.

If your carbs are 60-80 grams you would have to eat 120 to 160 grams of Protein to balance them out. That is a lot of calories. If someone is having 60-100 grams of protein their carbs should be in the 20-40 range for weight loss.

If your carbs are 60-80 grams you would have to eat 120 to 160 grams of Protein to balance them out. That is a lot of calories. If someone is having 60-100 grams of protein their carbs should be in the 20-40 range for weight loss.

I was just reading about the ketosis diet, and they say too much protein can kick you out of ketosis... make up the difference with fat.

it sounds like you need the psychological and emotional help and that you may never have truly used this tool as it should be. Caloric intake isnt the be all end all, its all about sugars and carbs and since you admit to eating badly, how can you expect any weight loss when you eat that way? Its not a magic sleeve. Its like a training wheel you use it to learn to be different. but if you dont learn along the way you fail to change. and this is all about change.

Skip the burpees and ab exercises these are not designed to take off weight. they are designed to tone muscle, which is great if there is no fat sitting on top of the muscle. Stick to pure cardio, and use some weight training for flexibility and light toning. cross fit stuff is only good for people wh are fit or close to it. it is one of the big myths about CrossFit, but any real CrossFit trainer ( i worked for reebok for years ( fattest guy in the place, oh well) but we worked on that research and development, and any CrossFit trainer who isnt trying to get money in the door, will tell you, this. Crossfit type training is for general all around fitness, not for losing weight. But then again these are just my opinions and others will jump on me for saying that. Good luck. If i were you I would look to get some emotional /psych support first. Then try a reboot. The sleeve wont lose for you, you have to use it correctly to get it to do its job.

That being said, You Can Do This! And I hope you do.

Yes supposedly too much will, but I am not sure how much because it never has for me in years of doing Keto off and on.I think you have to be just consuming way too many calories period. I don't think that people can consume the fats after WLS in the way that normal people can. I just see a lot of people saying they aren't losing (not just in this thread) and their carbs are high, high in a way that can't be coming from veggies and that is about the only place you should be getting carbs from, veggies.

The meal plans they suggest after surgery are not keto, not really. I went to my nutrition class yesterday and they said toast at 6 weeks. They also have people on grits and cream of wheat etc 2-3 weeks out. I know for a fact I can't lose eating carbs like that, even in tiny amounts.

If your carbs are 60-80 grams you would have to eat 120 to 160 grams of Protein to balance them out. That is a lot of calories. If someone is having 60-100 grams of Protein their carbs should be in the 20-40 range for weight loss.

I was just reading about the ketosis diet, and they say too much protein can kick you out of ketosis... make up the difference with fat.

@rgodfrey09@mlfontan No I have not yet but today I was testing some menus on MFP that were at about the 50gm carb range. To see what I could eat. Basically I would have to go back

To 2 shakes a day and one meal. My BIG PROBLEM is that I take 17 meds a day. Which means that it has affected the GERD condition greatly. I'm now having reflux almost daily. What I had to do before is take the meds with milk every 4hrs which ups the carbs. My sx office said yesterday to see the Gastro. If they confirm the GERD is too severe which they told me is a risk with the VSG, then they would recommend I have a recession to a RNY.???? I NEED to STOP THE GAIN, loose 30 lbs TO MEET GOAL, get the GERD UNDER CONTROL, cause I can't stop taking the other meds. HELP!!!????????????

Anyone have any thought or comments about my situation? Looking for some feedback. What I'm seeing is that the info my NUT gave me is not consistent with the #'s you all are using. For example. The amount of carbs v. Protein. I was told to keep carbs at or under 80 and Protein at or above 60 for weight loss. Per item carb 6gm or lower, sugar 5gm or lower, otherwise don't touch it. Don't count calories but stay under 1000. I've been averaging 800-950 or so. Sometimes get to 1000.

I would appreciate any feedback. Especially if anyone is dealing with taking large amounts of meds due to other conditions (4 back surgeries, chronic pain, nerve damage, chronic Migraine, 4 jaw sx with instrumentation, hypothyroidism, depression) have had 13 surgeries since 2006 ????. It has not been easy and I am not esp open to the possibility of a revision to a RNY in the GERD does not get under control. Thanks.