Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PLEASE HELP : WHAT NOW FOLKS

In one way I am a band success story. From having the band fitted in 2013 I started losing weight and never stopped went from 220lbs to 110lbs inside the year with very little problems. Then the band became tight, the heartburn started and the reflux unbearable when I got to the docs office I weighed only 106lbs ( I am short, only about 5ft 2ins) but he took a look a me and said complete unfill and if that doesn't work then out with your band. I went home a slowly got better, I put on weight to 114lbs, I could eat better and then I even dropped the reflux tablets. That was all in Feb 2015 and now even with the complete unfill all the symptoms are back and I am devastated. WHAT NOW FOLKS??? I don't want this band out but I am afraid for my health. Can nerves do this to a person?

It's interesting that after all that time, your band suddenly "Gets Tight" right out of the blue....and that getting Fluid taken out relieved it.

Did your DR. give any explanation why that may have happened?

If I learned anything important with the band, it would be to "Learn to "Listen" to my band.

I personally do not believe there is any "Maintenance" with the lap band...diets yes, lap band no...

However one thing I have learned to do is to go on full liquids for a few days, every 6 weeks or so, or by "Listening" to the little warning signals. Subtle differences lasting a day or two.

This is in essence, has the same effect as taking Fluid out of the band...to give it a "Rest"

Your situation got extreme, and all the fluid was taken out....at least that's my take on it from my experiences, I have no real way of knowing what is going on with your band.

But your Dr. should be able to tell you something.

@@Kai-shek

When you say "all the symptoms are back", does that include the sensation of a "tight band"? Even with all the Fluid removed?

Did your surgeon/doctor check your band with fluoroscopy or other means?

IF I were having those symptoms, I'd be asking to have my band placement and restriction level checked using fluoro.

Best wishes!

I don't think "nerves" would have this much of an effect on a band. Sure, "nerves" might provoke a temporary bit of restriction, but not like what you are describing. If this were happening to me, I'd get in and check for a band slip. I would hope my surgeon would suggest an x-ray or other means of evaluating before jumping to the "must have band removed" option. If a slip did occur, I'd rather explore repositioning rather than outright removal, if possible.

I'm sorry you are experiencing this complication and please let us know the outcome. You've done very well and I hope you will be able to keep your band.

The reflux is probably because you got such a small stomach now. This usually is very common with band and sleeve patients when they get down to such a low weight.

Put those medical professionals to work! What if it's not band-related, for instance a food allergy. Before my husband was diagnosed with Celiac he had unbelievable acid reflux. As soon as he went off of wheat it cleared up completely. Bodies are so complicated and every one is different. Work closely with your medical team and don't give up until you have answers. Best wishes and keep us posted!

I am afraid that a common complication of the band is a gradual build up of scar tissue. Thus us beyond our control and is simply the individual's reaction to the implant.nI have read it can be aggravated by keeping the band too tight in the first place but I have not seen research to support that.

If this hapoens, the band gets tighter. It has happened to me twice in my almost nine years, but both times in a very minor way and the removal of just 0.1 cc sorted it out.

Reflux for banded people is NOT due to a small stomach as the stomach in which the acid is made us a,most the original size, It is caused by pressure from an over-restriction.

Have you been checked for a slip?

Thank you all for your kind support, I am in South Africa and although my surgeon was good we do not have the same support and after care like in the U.S. No fluro fills or anything and the doctor is seven hours away but I was surprised and horrified that he did not send me for x-Ray and I only want the band out as a last resort as I had to pay for it myself and same to take it out. True fully I adore being slim and would put up with some problems but at the moment I am very scared. Your support today has meant the world to me. Is there anyone who can suggest what would stop me being sick.

If you have an empty band and you are still unable to eat, there are no suggestions that can be made! I am assuming you are chewing well and avoiding known difficult foods (these vary from person to person but you will know yours).

In the short term you couid stick to slider foods and if the cause is tissue irritation, things may resolve themselves. But if they don't, you have no choice but to see your doctor and get a diagnostic XRay.